Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4
Loading

Notices

Thread: TQI endpoints question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Santa Rosa
Posts: 99
Default TQI endpoints question

So i'm trying to set the endpoints on my stock TQI tx after installing a new servo. Figured out how to navigate the menu tree to get to the endpoint adjustment but it seems to be not working the way it should. When I turn the wheel where I want the first endpoint and press set the servo all of the sudden will jump way past that desired endpoint. If I then go to the other side to try and set that point it is actually getting reduced throw. I tried this a number of times after resetting to the default endpoints with the same results. Short term I ended up resetting to the defaults and adjusting the steering rate so that there was no binding but it's bugging the hell out of me what i'm doing wrong to set the correct endpoints. Anyone else experienced this? Maybe i'm understanding the instructions wrong.
Asuckaphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,276
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Had the same Solved it by try and Error...

Send by my Pixel 2 XL with Tapatalk

Last edited by magic_yeti; 04-11-2018 at 02:48 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Brookfield
Posts: 81
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Maybe a visual will help? I used this video to help me set the end points. I hate reading through the instructions. Seems like a map.

https://youtu.be/eyZwhVIltGs

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Dirt Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:36 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sorel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 40
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuckaphish View Post
So i'm trying to set the endpoints on my stock TQI tx after installing a new servo. Figured out how to navigate the menu tree to get to the endpoint adjustment but it seems to be not working the way it should. When I turn the wheel where I want the first endpoint and press set the servo all of the sudden will jump way past that desired endpoint. If I then go to the other side to try and set that point it is actually getting reduced throw. I tried this a number of times after resetting to the default endpoints with the same results. Short term I ended up resetting to the defaults and adjusting the steering rate so that there was no binding but it's bugging the hell out of me what i'm doing wrong to set the correct endpoints. Anyone else experienced this? Maybe i'm understanding the instructions wrong.

Have you been able to resolve that problem ?
I have te same trouble since I fried the stock one and replaced it with another one...
Driving kinda sucks... I have full 45 degree steering when I go right... and like 20 degree steering when I go left...

Guess I'll start everything over from scratch and reset the servo horn to see if I can manage something...
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 1,170
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
Have you been able to resolve that problem ?
I have te same trouble since I fried the stock one and replaced it with another one...
Driving kinda sucks... I have full 45 degree steering when I go right... and like 20 degree steering when I go left...

Guess I'll start everything over from scratch and reset the servo horn to see if I can manage something...

Yeah that sounds like the servo horn is not installed in the center of the servo travel.

Last edited by Inspector86; 09-13-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sorel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 40
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Yeah that sounds like the servo horn is not installed in the center of the servo travel. Like you, I have not been able to set end points with the TQi transmitter but at least I have full 45deg steering both directions.
Yeah, when I was setting the left side, I placed the wheels where I wanted them, but they kept "coming back" a bit and set there...

Guess I'll have to trick it by moving the servo arm a tooth or two by the right and maybe reseting the sub-trim...

Seems good ?
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 719
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Not sure if this might help anyone or not but shaving some material off of the inside of the servo ears can do the trick. Then you can fine tune the placement of the servo ( as long as you're not moving the servo too far and drastically throwing off dead-center). I've done this on both my TRX4's and have experienced absolutely no visible sign nor hindrance of performance regarding wheels turning in one direction more/ less than in the opposite direction.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sorel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 40
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Not sure if this might help anyone or not but shaving some material off of the inside of the servo ears can do the trick. Then you can fine tune the placement of the servo ( as long as you're not moving the servo too far and drastically throwing off dead-center). I've done this on both my TRX4's and have experienced absolutely no visible sign nor hindrance of performance regarding wheels turning in one direction more/ less than in the opposite direction.
You're talking about trimming the plastic horns that came with the servo ?
Yeah, I've done it a few times on my basher rigs, nice tip

But actually, I'm using an Axial metal horn on this one.
Won't help it this time!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 719
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

I'm talking bout the servo ears themselves ( where the servo attaches to the front mounting plate)... essentially removing enough material to turn the four mounting holes into slots so that you can slide the servo left or right rather than being limited by the stock location. I'm actually using a HH shv500 v2 fwiw but same deal... I just shaved enough material on either side of each mounting hole to allow the servo to be positioned to the left or right of the stock location. As long as the mounting screws are tightened down securely, you shouldn't need to worry about the servo sliding around when the truck is in use.

You can see in the pic that the servo isn't perfectly centered which is exactly what I wanted. Finally I'm able to not have to keep messing with the epa feature on the tqi tx.

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:01 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sorel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 40
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I'm talking bout the servo ears themselves ( where the servo attaches to the front mounting plate)... essentially removing enough material to turn the four mounting holes into slots so that you can slide the servo left or right rather than being limited by the stock location. I'm actually using a HH shv500 v2 fwiw but same deal... I just shaved enough material on either side of each mounting hole to allow the servo to be positioned to the left or right of the stock location. As long as the mounting screws are tightened down securely, you shouldn't need to worry about the servo sliding around when the truck is in use.

You can see in the pic that the servo isn't perfectly centered which is exactly what I wanted. Finally I'm able to not have to keep messing with the epa feature on the tqi tx.

OH !!! Now I see what you mean. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I hadn't tought about that... I'll try that trick if I can't get the steering I want by moving the servo arm from a tooth and resetting the sub-trim...

Thanks a lot for the sharing !
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:57 PM   #11
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 719
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

No prob... and I don't explain things very well.. that was my bad.

I too tried setting the epa on the stock transmitter and had the same issues as others have had... where I'd get it set in one direction ( always passenger side) but then when trying to set it for the left/ driver side, it would jump and set itself in the wrong position or not at all.

Anyway... I thought when I did this mod that I might also have to adjust the length of the steering linkage to compensate for the servo being in a slightly different location but by the time I centered the servo horn, centered the steering trim, and finalized exactly how far to move the servo... there was no need to make any further adjustments. Make sure to take notice of the full throw/ travel of the servo horn after doing anything like this so that you're able to see that the travel is the same left/ right, and that the horn isn't making contact with the frame rail or the servo mounting plate.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:32 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sorel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 40
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
No prob... and I don't explain things very well.. that was my bad.

I too tried setting the epa on the stock transmitter and had the same issues as others have had... where I'd get it set in one direction ( always passenger side) but then when trying to set it for the left/ driver side, it would jump and set itself in the wrong position or not at all.

Anyway... I thought when I did this mod that I might also have to adjust the length of the steering linkage to compensate for the servo being in a slightly different location but by the time I centered the servo horn, centered the steering trim, and finalized exactly how far to move the servo... there was no need to make any further adjustments. Make sure to take notice of the full throw/ travel of the servo horn after doing anything like this so that you're able to see that the travel is the same left/ right, and that the horn isn't making contact with the frame rail or the servo mounting plate.
I'll make sure that everything works fine and double check everything.

Should have time to take a look on my TRX-4 monday or tuesday night.

Will give some feedback of how it went!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Yavin 4
Posts: 373
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

sounds to me like the sub trim is not set properly, i'd remove your horns and center the sub trim via the programming menu and the multifunction knob, once set to the center (12 o'clock) position on the knob then reinstall the horn, now go in and set your end points. if your sub trim is out of wack then you will not get the full range of rotation from the servo l & r. thats why you cannot get the end points to set correctly, the servo has no idea where its true center is.

hope this makes sense and helps.

i had to do this when i got the defender and before the bluetooth module came arrived.

if you don't have it nearby here is a link to the manual page 34-35.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sorel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 40
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

All makes sense and is helping

I was pretty sure I setted teh sub-trim and servo horn right but... mehhh

I'll make sure to reset everything from scratch and reinstall the servo horn and all...

As I said, I'll take a look on it tomorrow night or tuesday, as I'll be in "weekend" (currently at work now... yeah I know, I have a weird schedule)
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sorel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 40
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Problem solved after resetting and some tweaking !!!

The TRX-4 is finally able to get 45 degrees stirring angle on both side

Thanks to all for their inputs and support
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 419
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
Problem solved after resetting and some tweaking !!!



The TRX-4 is finally able to get 45 degrees stirring angle on both side



Thanks to all for their inputs and support
What did you end up doing? I'm having this exact same problem with my son's truck and it's driving me nuts! I can adjust the EPA no problem in the traxxas app, but when I remove the BT module (I share it among trucks) it seems to reset the values to something else. Manually adjusting the EPA from the tqi radio causes it to not set fully to the left and slightly too much to the right!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:31 AM   #17
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 64
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Did you upgrade the Firmware on the Tx and Rx (all of them!) with the Link module?


The settings of "BT mode" and "non BT mode" are different because the Link overwrites them somehow, i noticed that too.
But the problem with the EPA (and some other firmware quirks) were solved when i upgraded my Tx from the stock 1.x to the latest this summer.
amigaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:48 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 419
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaman View Post
Did you upgrade the Firmware on the Tx and Rx (all of them!) with the Link module?
Yes, updated both. But I spent like an hour just trying to set the endpoints through the tqi menu (no bt module) and the settings are lost once the radio is turned off! What is going on here??

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Italy
Posts: 25
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

I have a similar problem because I reversed the serve direction since I mounted it on the bumper support, it flips the action but NOT the endpoint settings, so when you think you're setting the right one you're setting the left one instead and viceversa, VERY frustrating getting those correct without the link module and lots of trial and error.......
RCPawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #20
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina
Posts: 1,806
Default Re: TQI endpoints question

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Not sure if this might help anyone or not but shaving some material off of the inside of the servo ears can do the trick. Then you can fine tune the placement of the servo ( as long as you're not moving the servo too far and drastically throwing off dead-center). I've done this on both my TRX4's and have experienced absolutely no visible sign nor hindrance of performance regarding wheels turning in one direction more/ less than in the opposite direction.
Exactly what I did and have also done on other rigs.

"
mewalsh100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



TQI endpoints question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas TQ TQi Compatibility Question thehighroad Electronics 0 10-17-2014 03:14 PM
TQi question LAIDBACKLINNIE Electronics 2 08-26-2012 12:29 AM
PROPER way to set dig endpoints? Deezul Newbie General 5 11-20-2009 10:56 AM
Servo Endpoints nightcrawler86 Electronics 0 06-14-2009 06:13 PM
servo endpoints Dirby Newbie General 2 12-30-2007 01:22 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com