Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Pre Purchase q's from Ascender guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #1

Default Pre Purchase q's from Ascender guy

I like to build my rigs, am I correct in seeing that there is not a trx-4 defender build kit? I really love the look of the defender as a land rover owner, but it looks like I'd spend more than the RTR price by getting the chassis kit, and piecing the defender body together(I don't see a complete body kit for sale either)

I have castle programmable esc in my Ascender build, and I like being able to set the torque ramping so my drivetrain gets less shock. Haven't broken anything in 4 years of crawling.

Can the TQi link app adjust stuff like that? Adjusting the drag brake too?
biggreen96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Pre Purchase q's from Ascender guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreen96 View Post
I like to build my rigs, am I correct in seeing that there is not a trx-4 defender build kit? I really love the look of the defender as a land rover owner, but it looks like I'd spend more than the RTR price by getting the chassis kit, and piecing the defender body together(I don't see a complete body kit for sale either)

I have castle programmable esc in my Ascender build, and I like being able to set the torque ramping so my drivetrain gets less shock. Haven't broken anything in 4 years of crawling.

Can the TQi link app adjust stuff like that? Adjusting the drag brake too?
I dont think there is a Defender kit.

You may be best served price wise to buy the RTR as piecing together the body is really expensive. Or check Ebay or the classifieds here to see if you can get a body someones just pulled off.

The TQI app is super disappointing IMO, it cant adjust drag brake or set a throttle curve though it can do expo. Honestly the main thing I use it for now is to check the batteries charge on the radio. I had high hopes for it but all it really does is set end points for some functions, travel, throttle or servo reversing just your basic ESC (manual) settings minus all those useful in crawling. Definitely cant recommend it.

EDIT: lookie here, looks like a really good price for having all the trimmings https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRX-4-DEFEN...oAAOSwMM9bCF7I

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-23-2019 at 05:34 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #3

Oooh nice find on the ebay body, I totally spaced looking on amazon and found the orange and green bodies but for 145!!! bucks gah.
That's disappointing to hear about the link app, what do you mean by expo?
Old 05-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreen96 View Post
Oooh nice find on the ebay body, I totally spaced looking on amazon and found the orange and green bodies but for 145!!! bucks gah.
That's disappointing to hear about the link app, what do you mean by expo?
Exponential is a sort of throttle curve that you can dial in so at (for example) 10% throttle travel it only puts out 5% actual throttle. So instead of getting a 1 to 1 reaction you can tune it to your liking.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #5

ah gotcha I think I'm doing that now to reduce how "touchy" the throttle is.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #6

I considered all options: Sport, Sport Kit, RTR Tactical (for the price...hate the body), used RTR, and the Crawler Kit.

I got the crawler kit because I like building and the price with electronics is a good value. Some things I learned:
  • The kit is the 12.3" wheelbase (Defender is 12.
  • To go longer (12.8") you will need short to long kit, about $25.
  • The inner fenders are fitted to the Bronco and will need trimming if you want to use them for the Defender
  • The body mounts may not be right...the kit is for the Bronco Body and spaced wront (rear is too wide) for the Sport. Not sure about the Defender.

Getting a RTR defender is definitely the cheapest way and least fussing with odd parts to make the crawler kit work. But if you like building and don't mind a few delays and expenses, the kit is all part of it IMO.
CTYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

If you have a mamba x and a capable remote you can set the throttle curve in the programming computer app, and use the aux cable as a control for the drag brake.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #8

Correct, a Defender kit doesn't exist. You can either get the regular kit or the Sport Kit.

Sounds like you'd be better off with a Defender RTR if you're not set on building it. The Defender, oddly, has a non-standard 12.8" wheelbase where the rest of the TRX-4s and pretty much every other "standard" crawler out there has a wheelbase of 12.3". The TRX-4 kits are 12.3" wheelbases. They could easily be converted to 12.8", but you'd need more parts than what the kit provides.

Building the TRX-4 is a joy.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
If you have a mamba x and a capable remote you can set the throttle curve in the programming computer app, and use the aux cable as a control for the drag brake.
Yes. Hobbywing WP1080 comes with programming card to setup throttle curve etc. too.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-13-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:41 PM   #10

Thanks for all the recommendations fellas I just picked up a chassis kit to build up. I'll probably grab the 1080 if I can sell the stock one. Anybody have a defender body to sell??
Old 06-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #11

Wow did not take long to sell my stock ESC! Hobbywing 1080 is on the way!

Pre Purchase q's from Ascender guy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ascender LED set, included with body purchase? M J Vaterra Ascender 1 09-08-2016 03:35 PM
Vaterra ascender $400 good purchase or no GrapeNutz Vaterra Ascender 20 06-30-2016 09:42 AM
your all to blame...and some simple Q's for the hardcore guy Cutter General Crawlers 9 08-15-2004 01:07 AM