Notices

Thread: AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2018, 05:36 AM   #241
RCC Addict

Default Re: AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebeknob View Post
So did you cut the tires so they would have more grip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, more grip and flexibility. They performed great!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2018, 10:22 AM   #242
RCC Addict

Just a little update. Was in Orlando with the wife last weekend and she suggested we stop at a hobby shop. So of course I was down for that. I was after a can of flat black to spray the roof of my defender. We were looking through the paint selection when the wife suggested I paint my whole rig a different color. She says the red doesn't fit me. I agreed and we found some paint we both liked. That being said I'm going to start tearing down the body for a paint job. Will post more details of that once the paint job is done.

As for the light bar. I got a piece of c channel and am working on getting all the pieces cut to size to finish it up. Also have found that my LHS has LED strips that are cuttable. Will be grabbing some of those soon. 3- LED per inch. Perfect for some rock lights. $10 a foot I'll have enough to do both trucks and have a set left over. With that being said. Do I have to run a light controller or are they just so you can turn them on and off? I have a push button on/off switch that was on the LED bar that I was thinking of using for that.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #243
RCC Addict

Made some rock lights for Little Betty powered direct from the balance port of 3s lipos. For mounting i just used a L-profile from a DIY-shop.

used a cuttable led strip from HK with 12v Led. if you want to switch them on/off just solder a switch in. My solution is just plug it into the port or leave it

I am curious about the new paint job, hope i can find time to work on my trex .....
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #244
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
Made some rock lights for Little Betty powered direct from the balance port of 3s lipos. For mounting i just used a L-profile from a DIY-shop.

used a cuttable led strip from HK with 12v Led. if you want to switch them on/off just solder a switch in. My solution is just plug it into the port or leave it

I am curious about the new paint job, hope i can find time to work on my trex .....
That's awesome! What LED strips are those? Have any pics at night showing how much they light up? I've found a couple companies with really nice strips. Was going to try to run everything of the 6v from my receiver, but don't know if 12v lights will work at 6v. I know most of the LED that I've looked at had a step down resistor on the chip so maybe they would work.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #245
RCC Addict

So I didn't use special lexan paint for the black backer on this little demo piece. Used Krylon Fusion paint. Looks like it's gonna stick. I've bent it in every way possible with no cracks or flakes. I'm gonna go with it. Prepped the lexan with some 1000 grit sandpaper. 3 light coats of the black. Waited a day then prepped the black with some 1000grit and sprayed 3 light coats of the other paint :-) Will start pulling everything off the body and getting it all prepped for paint in the next few days. Here's a little sneak peak of the demo piece.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #246
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
That's awesome! What LED strips are those? Have any pics at night showing how much they light up? I've found a couple companies with really nice strips. Was going to try to run everything of the 6v from my receiver, but don't know if 12v lights will work at 6v. I know most of the LED that I've looked at had a step down resistor on the chip so maybe they would work.

If i remember correct i have ordered these: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/high-den...hite-1mtr.html
this is rated for 12v DC and waterproofed
Sadly i have no pics at night. but if i can get my hand on it, i will take a few but it will not be before november

Nice color
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post

You notice a big difference in battery life with the lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mebeknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #248
RCC Addict

Got a few mins to crawl around on the course with the rigs. It's always a good time playing back there. Light bar is in final stages and will post up some pics once it's mounted on my truck.

First pic the mud pie pit crew drove their power wheels D90 through the shot and it came out pretty crazy looking.

A crazy side hill line that most of the time I end up on my lid

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 10-21-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #249
33m
Pebble Pounder

I also cut my tires where you have the white paint. I didnt cut off the center lugs though.
I was watching a slomo video I made of my TRX-4 and noticed something in the way it lost grip that I thought could be helped by cutting where you did. I think it helped, I haven't made any slomo videos after.
33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #250
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33m View Post
I also cut my tires where you have the white paint. I didnt cut off the center lugs though.
I was watching a slomo video I made of my TRX-4 and noticed something in the way it lost grip that I thought could be helped by cutting where you did. I think it helped, I haven't made any slomo videos after.
I definitely say they were a good tire to start, but once I cut the center I noticed a difference. Now with the outside clipped as well they are an amazing tire! The girls' dingo climbs just as good with them as it did with my Hyrax on it.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #251
RCC Addict

Just got done getting the rigs ready to go to the comp tomorrow. Forgot to post this pic of some work I did to the backyard course the other day. Hope the rigs can make it up it.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #252
RCC Addict

I really need to try cutting the center of my tires, I'll get to it this week hopefully.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #253
RCC Addict

10 mins a tire with some small side snips and you'll be good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I really need to try cutting the center of my tires, I'll get to it this week hopefully.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #254
RCC Addict

Had a great time at the comp this weekend. Was an amazing turn out. Around 80 drivers. 5 courses. Was a blast! Ran with Madpolo again. Great dude and likes to run the same style as me. Other then one piece of my cage coming apart (not a big deal) had no breakage. I ran my Trx-4 for a few courses and ran the Dingo for a couple. Both rigs did great. Also won a battery and a scale accessory in the raffle. Here's some pics. Didn't get much video was having too much fun.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:19 AM   #255
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Had a great time at the comp this weekend. Was an amazing turn out. Around 80 drivers. 5 courses. Was a blast! Ran with Madpolo again. Great dude and likes to run the same style as me. Other then one piece of my cage coming apart (not a big deal) had no breakage. I ran my Trx-4 for a few courses and ran the Dingo for a couple. Both rigs did great. Also won a battery and a scale accessory in the raffle. Here's some pics. Didn't get much video was having too much fun.

Wish I could have been there looked like a great day
Congrats on the prizes
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #256
RCC Addict

Missed one.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #257
RCC Addict

"Missed one"

... and a great one at that! Awesome flex shot and I have to say that those wheels look SO good on that particular rig.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #258
RCC Addict

I definitely like to push it to the limits. That's one reasons I like running with MADpolo so much. We like to run the hardest lines we can find just to see what our rigs can handle. Very satisfied in how the rigs performed.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #259
RCC Addict

Here's a few last pics of my defender with the red body. Played on the backyard course a bit this weekend. I will be starting to tear down the body to prep for paint in the next few days.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #260
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Here's a few last pics of my defender with the red body. Played on the backyard course a bit this weekend. I will be starting to tear down the body to prep for paint in the next few days.

What are your painting plans? Strip it all off and paint inside or paint the outside?
niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote

AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Defender Adventure (and some mudding) Mountainsofbeer Scale Videos! 0 10-10-2017 07:30 PM
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM
Montana Scale Adventure Club Adventure Series montana.matt Montana 9 03-17-2010 09:22 AM