Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: possible servo choices...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default possible servo choices...

"Coming from AMain Hobbies’ EcoPower brand are two new waterproof servos. The standard voltage WP110T (0.16s/20.1kg-cm) and WP120T (0.09s/28.8kg-cm) are an ideal upgrade for ready-to-run cars, trucks and rock crawlers and they feature metal gears, dual ball bearings and lightweight upper and lower cases with aluminium centre sections. The WP110T is powered by a cored DC motor while the high-voltage compatible WP120T utilises a coreless motor. EcoPower recommends the WP110T servo for all 1/10-scale applications, while the higher power WP120T would be best suited for heavy monster trucks, 1/8-scale vehicles and crawlers."

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?...vos&fs=1&lg=fs
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: possible servo choices...

120T and 110T Gears Metal w/Plastic mid gear no go in my eyes at this price level
wouldn't use this on a heavy rig like the trex
20$ more gives you a hh hv500 v2 instead of the 120T
and under 20$ you can get a powerhd 20kg WP instead of the 110T
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Instant turn off to hear about a plastic gear, that's just asking for trouble. Just take $20 more and head up into the next tier of servos and save yourself the pain.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I think they could have offered a full metal gear servo for what an extra $2 ? What a shame, seems like it could have been a good servo otherwise.

For the same $69.99 you can pick up a savox 1230mg with ALL metal gears and 499 oz/in of torque @ 6 volts...that’s a a no brainer.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Instant turn off to hear about a plastic gear, that's just asking for trouble. Just take $20 more and head up into the next tier of servos and save yourself the pain.
The eco power wp120t servo has all metal gears. Not sure who told you guys that. There a great servo for the price and have full metal gears and waterproof!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
mud4x4lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:25 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud4x4lover View Post
The eco power wp120t servo has all metal gears. Not sure who told you guys that. There a great servo for the price and have full metal gears and waterproof!
No... In Eco-Power's own spec sheet it states that the wp110t and the wp120t both use a plastic mid-gear so no... not ALL metal gears.

"Gears - Metal w/ plastic mid gear"
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
No... In Eco-Power's own spec sheet it states that the wp110t and the wp120t both use a plastic mid-gear so no... not ALL metal gears.

Here's it is

Old 06-15-2018, 05:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post

Below

Old 06-15-2018, 05:20 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Straight off of Amain's website.

GA Dawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
RCC Addict

@ mud4x4lover- I can understand the confusion b/c it is listed in some specs as "Metal gears" but Eco-Power is Amain Hobby's house brand and they clearly state that the mid-gear is indeed plastic on both those servos.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If you don't believe the words about the plastic gear, here is a pic of the gear set:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopowe...p-3099/p755536

Clearly a plastic gear.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Back when they first hyped these servo's being released, I was sorely disappointed in the fact that they had the plastic middle gear.

Since then, their blurb has been repeated all over this forum, which is really unfortunate.

Situations like these are bad for people somewhat new to crawling, as when a retailer pushes a product for a particular niche of RC the natural inclination is to believe their recommendations.

People have been trying to catch all mentions of the particular servos when they popped up on the forum and reply with a post clarifying the product spec with the mention of the gear's construction materials.

As evidenced by several posts elsewhere, failing electronics can turn people off to the hobby as a whole - no one likes having to call an end to their day of crawling and then wait on replacement parts...

To show all the work members have gone through to help get the word out regarding the plastic gear - look at ALL of these posts in response to the EcoPower being mentioned:

What the newest cheap servo hotness?

possible servo choices...

Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II

Ecopower servos?

Budget waterproof servo options
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Back when they first hyped these servo's being released, I was sorely disappointed in the fact that they had the plastic middle gear.

Since then, their blurb has been repeated all over this forum, which is really unfortunate.

Situations like these are bad for people somewhat new to crawling, as when a retailer pushes a product for a particular niche of RC the natural inclination is to believe their recommendations.

People have been trying to catch all mentions of the particular servos when they popped up on the forum and reply with a post clarifying the product spec with the mention of the gear's construction materials.

As evidenced by several posts elsewhere, failing electronics can turn people off to the hobby as a whole - no one likes having to call an end to their day of crawling and then wait on replacement parts...

To show all the work members have gone through to help get the word out regarding the plastic gear - look at ALL of these posts in response to the EcoPower being mentioned:

What the newest cheap servo hotness?

possible servo choices...

Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II

Ecopower servos?

Budget waterproof servo options
Tha k you guys for the info I was clearly WRONG! I went off the spec sheet that said "METAL GEARS". I'm glad these forms are around for all of us to get the right information we all need time to time. Sorry to all about this issue that I tried to defend the metal gear thing. I was just trying to pass the information I had in front of me as I knew it to be true.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

No worries - it's VERY easy to get caught out by spec sheets that list partial or completely incorrect information.

A great example - "Titanium" servo gears...

They are in reality ALWAYS coated aluminum, not an actual gear machined out of titanium material.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
I think they could have offered a full metal gear servo for what an extra $2 ? What a shame, seems like it could have been a good servo otherwise.

For the same $69.99 you can pick up a savox 1230mg with ALL metal gears and 499 oz/in of torque @ 6 volts...that’s a a no brainer.
This is what i went with and couldn't be happier! You have to snip a bit of the plastic on the mounting holes on the savox in order to fit though. Otherwise i just plasti-dipped to make it waterproof and so far its been fantastic!
joeR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
If you don't believe the words about the plastic gear, here is a pic of the gear set:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopowe...p-3099/p755536

Clearly a plastic gear.
The rebuilt kit is all metal gear I just purchased it and have it in hand.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
greengoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:17 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

You will need to run a BEC to power (both volts and AMPS) your Servo and a Bypass to power the rest of your TRX so you don't want to run the risk of possibly damaging other electronics. Even if you are running a 6 volt out of your ESC and have a 6 volt servo it is doubtful that you are pushing enough amps out of about ANY ESC to get you servo to really work like it can.

I would strongly consider getting a direct power servo so you can have all the power and torque without having to use a BEC or bypass. All the power the servo needs straight from the source. I have couple direct power and a few regular servos and for me my favorite is the direct power 3Bros G13.

Last edited by MOguy; 12-03-2020 at 06:25 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:31 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
You will need to run a BEC to power (both volts and AMPS) your Servo and a Bypass to power the rest of your TRX so you don't want to run the risk of possibly damaging other electronics. Even if you are running a 6 volt out of your ESC and have a 6 volt servo it is doubtful that you are pushing enough amps out of about ANY ESC to get you servo to really work like it can.

I would strongly consider getting a direct power servo so you can have all the power and torque without having to use a BEC or bypass. All the power the servo needs straight from the source. I have couple direct power and a few regular servos and for me my favorite is the direct power 3Bros G13.

Imo, spot on with the direct powered servos.

The G13 replaced my stock servo. I was happy with its performance.

Definitely quieter than the HH SHV500 v3 that’s in there now.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote

possible servo choices... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So may servo choices...Which one to choose? cpu77 Axial Yeti XL 14 02-19-2017 09:27 AM
4ws servo choices drkuhar HPI Wheely King 0 04-25-2012 08:47 PM
Servo choices for steering and dig? stevehof Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 11-04-2008 06:00 PM
new servo choices for my xf RampageFSJ Electronics 4 05-04-2006 08:33 AM
steering servo choices elvis Electronics 4 08-24-2005 12:12 AM