RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Dabbler's TRX-4 Defender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/599283-dabblers-trx-4-defender.html)

johnnyluv 06-04-2018 10:26 AM

Dabbler's TRX-4 Defender

Something funny happened the other day, while visiting RCC. I saw a "FREE TEE" (t-shirt) ad from amain hobbies, so I clicked on the link. "Idiot!" as Biff Tannen would say. I didn't care about a t-shirt, but now that I was on amain's site, having somewhat fallen into their devious trap, I at least decided to see what specials they had. After all, I don't just go and buy whatever pops out, haphazardly, but try to maintain some purpose. Filtering down, specifically, to Scratch & Dent specials in the Scale truck section, I spied a TRX-4 Defender, marked down to about the same price as the Tactical model (anyone remember that model, or has the Bronco eradicated it from everyone's memory?). Knowing that popular trucks in the Scratch & Dent section don't linger long, I took a short few minutes to deliberate over purchasing it, then followed on through.

*sigh*

Here's the not-so-funny part. A few months back I bought a TRX-4 Bronco pre-roller chassis, off eBay, that I've yet to build up. I do have plans to, but now I've got this RTR coming, so I'm now in a dilemma about whether to keep it, or have two TRX-4's. I think I'll probably keep it, since I don't like messing with wheelbase changes, and would like to have both. Instead, I'll probably sell off my one & only Ascender K10, since it's essentially the black sheep of my collection.

No pics, yet, since I won't get the Defender until later this week, and everyone knows what a box stock D110 looks like, and it's already an older model, even though it hasn't even been a year! Goodness, does anyone else find it odd how the SCX10 managed to remain popular, year after year, but now, any new model seems to become old news within less than a year? I attribute it to the influx (saturation) of new players, both in the market, and in social media. We can only retain so much attention to a specific model, I guess. Maybe it would've been better to hold off on the Bronco for one more year, but Traxxas has a large tribe, and people will buy their stuff, whether popular or not.

I'll try and do a log of updates, if there's anything significant to share. In the interim, I'll share my immediate vision, which is to get a clear Traxxas D110 body, and do my own Adventure Limited Edition (orange), which will be cheaper, and sooner!

JatoTheRipper 06-04-2018 01:37 PM

Re: Dabbler's TRX-4 Defender

Good deal! Lucky find for sure.

You'll love the TRX-4.

o0wiz0o 06-04-2018 02:40 PM

Yay another Defender! Too many Broncos these days. Haha.

Levi 06-04-2018 07:59 PM

Congrats on another trx4. If it was me I'd keep both. I like the defender body, but I would change it up a bit. If like a clear body and paint it green with clear windows to start and go from there. The tactical unit was not my favorite along with alot of others. It's ok but not my taste. I do like the bronco. The last adventure I went on with friends, one if my friends brought along his very new not played with yet bronco that day and we ran into some guys in their side by side machines and they were in love with my friends trx4 bronco and stopped to take pictures of it.

AnimalHippie 06-05-2018 10:15 AM

Right on bro! Welcome to Trx-4 life! I'm so glad it's the rig I picked. Couldn't be more happy! Looking forward to checking out your builds! Have a great day!

johnnyluv 06-05-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5838593)
Good deal! Lucky find for sure.

You'll love the TRX-4.

I think I will, too. When I first handled the TRX-4 pre-roller chassis, it felt like a strong platform. I just haven't had a lot of time to build that one up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0wiz0o (Post 5838616)
Yay another Defender! Too many Broncos these days. Haha.

I'm sure someone probably said that about Defenders, when the Tactical was released. Hahaha...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levi (Post 5838735)
Congrats on another trx4. If it was me I'd keep both. I like the defender body, but I would change it up a bit. If like a clear body and paint it green with clear windows to start and go from there. The tactical unit was not my favorite along with alot of others. It's ok but not my taste. I do like the bronco. The last adventure I went on with friends, one if my friends brought along his very new not played with yet bronco that day and we ran into some guys in their side by side machines and they were in love with my friends trx4 bronco and stopped to take pictures of it.

I'm not a huge fan of red, but it does blend well with all the green we have in our Pacific NW forests. Green is one of my favorite colors, but I already have one or two other builds I plan to do in green. Plus, I really dig the 1:1 Land Rover Fire & Ice editions, which is why I like that new orange Traxxas is planning to release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHippie (Post 5838887)
Right on bro! Welcome to Trx-4 life! I'm so glad it's the rig I picked. Couldn't be more happy! Looking forward to checking out your builds! Have a great day!

Thanks! I like to try different platforms, because I like all scalers, in general. Although, whether I'll enjoy the more complicated features of the TRX-4 remains to be seen. I have some aftermarket lockers standing by, in case I get frustrated with the lockable diffs. I definitely wanted the 2-spd transmission, though.

Inspector86 06-06-2018 10:31 AM

I have three TRX4s now and each one is set up slightly different. #3 is not yet operational since I can't decide on a body, probably the ProLine Jeep JK. You can never have too many trucks.

johnnyluv 06-06-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 5839282)
I have three TRX4s now and each one is set up slightly different. #3 is not yet operational since I can't decide on a body, probably the ProLine Jeep JK. You can never have too many trucks.

Mmm...yes, you actually can have too many, but that's up to each person. :mrgreen: I currently have too many RC's, and am planning to sell several. One just sold and was dropped off at the Post Office earlier today, and it felt good.

Then, no sooner than I pulled into the parking lot, the OnTrac delivery truck swung by, handing me my new TRX-4 Defender! Yeaaaah!

I had only a half hour or so to spare, because of an upcoming appointment I had to take my youngest child to, but I managed to drop in a 2S Lipo and do a quick backyard run. I liked it! The 2-spd was especially fun, because there are some tree roots that are a blast to bunny hop with a solid axle truck.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1735/...86fdb454_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1740/...0fe6bfba_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1733/...90366e76_c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

AnimalHippie 06-07-2018 05:44 AM

Personally I love the unlockable diffs. #1 cause if you feel the need to blow some donuts having unlocked diffs helps keep from rolling it. #2 the wife likes to blast around in high gear once again keeps it more stable in turns. #3 unlocking the rear has saved me from some rollover situations on the rocks #4 unlocked rear diff in some spots works almost like having a DIG unit. I have crawled around a rock almost on my side that I would have been on my side if it wasn't for unlocking the rear. Yea it's more moving parts, but I like having the option. Just my 2 cents :)

johnnyluv 06-07-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHippie (Post 5839585)
Personally I love the unlockable diffs. #1 cause if you feel the need to blow some donuts having unlocked diffs helps keep from rolling it. #2 the wife likes to blast around in high gear once again keeps it more stable in turns. #3 unlocking the rear has saved me from some rollover situations on the rocks #4 unlocked rear diff in some spots works almost like having a DIG unit. I have crawled around a rock almost on my side that I would have been on my side if it wasn't for unlocking the rear. Yea it's more moving parts, but I like having the option. Just my 2 cents :)

From the time the TRX-4 garnered my interest, I began thinking about this trail I did a few years back, with my first scaler, the SCX10 Deadbolt. It is nothing but switchbacks upon switchbacks, as you snake up the side of the mountain, with many hairpin turns, where unlocked diffs would enhance the experience. I might endeavor to do that trail again, with the Defender. It gets steep in places, too, which the longer wheelbase will aid in preventing rollbacks.

This video shows a few good segments, although, I was on my way back down:
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sMWQwQylxlg" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

johnnyluv 06-07-2018 05:05 PM

Those Canyon Trail tires...they don't seem too bad for RTR's, but I would need to unglue them and remount on some beadlocks with better foams, before getting serious with them. They seem significantly wide, though, for any current C.I. foam offerings. I have a set of generic beadlocks that would look good with the Defender body, but they're really hard to work with, if the tires & foams are wider than average. I'd read in another thread where someone was using some old Pro-Line Hammer 2.2's, and liked them, but I have a set that a friend gave me a couple of years ago, and they really are outdated in the rubber compound area. The Canyon tires are stickier than they are. Hmm... :roll:

AnimalHippie 06-07-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyluv (Post 5839867)
Those Canyon Trail tires...they don't seem too bad for RTR's, but I would need to unglue them and remount on some beadlocks with better foams, before getting serious with them. They seem significantly wide, though, for any current C.I. foam offerings. I have a set of generic beadlocks that would look good with the Defender body, but they're really hard to work with, if the tires & foams are wider than average. I'd read in another thread where someone was using some old Pro-Line Hammer 2.2's, and liked them, but I have a set that a friend gave me a couple of years ago, and they really are outdated in the rubber compound area. The Canyon tires are stickier than they are. Hmm... :roll:

I cut the small lugs on my canyon trail tires. They work great. I like them. Definitely need better foams. I will be mounting them On my ssd beadlocks. I want to do some tire testing before I dismount the iroks that are on the rims now

johnnyluv 06-07-2018 05:33 PM

Yeah, I read through your thread and saw what you did. I've got some Axial BFGoodrich KO2's coming, which I was going to put on Ascender K10, but might try with the Defender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

johnnyluv 06-18-2018 01:34 PM

Update: After a solid week of ownership, and getting a few hours of run time, I find myself liking and appreciating all the features of the TRX-4 Defender, but not necessarily the attributes, particularly, the heavy body, as has been clearly discussed by many others before me. It's mostly the poor side-hilling that gets me, but I know that that can be improved, especially since this is still 100% stock condition. I do like the Land Rover body style, but I'm teetering on whether to invest time & effort to make it work or switch to a lighter option. I almost bought a Pro-Line Jeep Rubicon (12.8" wb) body, yesterday, but decided to wait. Instead, I ordered some MFR brass portal covers, using a Father's Day 10% discount. One other attribute I'm not certain I'm settled on is the red body. It's good looking, but looks too common now, with so many other RTR's posted on social media. The clear body isn't too expensive, so I might get that in the near future.

Electronics plans:
So far, the stock electronics have been good, but I don't wish to push the servo much more, and will definitely upgrade before I run on a more technical trail. I've been contemplating taking the stock esc, motor, and servo out, and setting them aside for a Telluride build that's been on the back burner. In their place, I might put in an ET-3S + HH Trailmaster Sport 550 21T, and a Power HD 23Kg servo, but we'll see.

Here's a brief video of the first trail I took it on, which had some nostalgic value to it, being that the last time I took an RC on it was four years ago, and before I got my first scale truck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rpP35pqX9A4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

johnnyluv 08-07-2018 07:11 PM

I'm thinking about ordering that Land Rover Defender Adventure Edition Body, which is a complete, pre-painted & accessorized body kit. At the same time, I realize I could "DIY" and order a clear body and paint it orange, but family life is going to continue to be hectic, so I possibly wouldn't get around to painting until the weather changed for the worse.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8...-defender-body

UPDATE (8/08/2018 ): eBay posted a 15% coupon code this morning, so I took advantage pronto, and bought one of the few available Adventure Edition bodies. Perfect timing! I was even almost set on buying a clear body and some more Pactra Met Fiery Orange paint, but the discount tipped me back to the RTR orange body. I'll probably wait and open it up on my birthday next month. :ror: In the meantime, I'll get a better wheels/tire/foam combo put together, and go ahead and upgrade the electronics.

johnnyluv 10-10-2019 08:50 PM

So, this happened over the past week, as I began to run out of suitable weather to paint outside, and was pushed to pick something. I actually regret having wasted nearly two full cans of PS-9 green on this, because it didn't mount up as well as Pro-Line claimed, and I don't like the stretched look. I think I might sell this body and shorten the chassis to 12.3". [emoji19]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0f93abf1a3.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7dcd836dd9.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b768fd4c7c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...98848fe9ba.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...14f7a88422.jpg