Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 Sport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #21

Default Re: TRX-4 Sport

I just noticed the TRX-4 Sport diff covers are red...just like Axial's. Again, I think they are going directly for Axial with this release.

The price, the features, and the red diff covers scream "We want your sales too, Axial."
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I don't think they are specifically trying to take down axial, but they had looked at the market leader, learnt some things, and no fancy themselves as a new market leader...

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

They do know their stuff.
I even kinda like the body as far as generic ones go.

Never liked the Defender anyway, looks to me like a 20$ toy with the stickered out windows. This looks like a basher body so I'm thinking "eh, it's fine".

Been thinking of getting a stunty monster truck next, but this could just be my Xmas present to myself!
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

looking at the accessories coming soon on the traxxas website show alot accessories to put on the sport

Last edited by jcanuck; 06-06-2018 at 08:24 PM.
jcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:28 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Great body for bashing, not much for show but that could change when people get their hands on the clear one.

I like the price point. Locked diffs and single speed is back to basics, but a great option for the trx4 line up IMO.

Body accessories are kinda cool!
One thing that really stood out to me is the size of the wheel arches. They look like decent 2.2 tires will be an option for some serious clearance. Having locked diffs in these could explain why the Traxxas spools have been impossible to find.

The text shown in the video mentioned molded inner fenders but the rigs shown obviously don't have them installed.

Darn it. Another reason to buy a new rig. How do I explain this to my wife after justifying the first TRX-4 by pointing out the selectable diffs and two-speed transmission?

bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Another view
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
One thing that really stood out to me is the size of the wheel arches. They look like decent 2.2 tires will be an option for some serious clearance. Having locked diffs in these could explain why the Traxxas spools have been impossible to find.

The text shown in the video mentioned molded inner fenders but the rigs shown obviously don't have them installed.

Darn it. Another reason to buy a new rig. How do I explain this to my wife after justifying the first TRX-4 by pointing out the selectable diffs and two-speed transmission?

The inner fenders are listed in the accessories section...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Okay, missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. For me less weight is better. Still like the large wheel arches.

bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:28 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

I agree with the above. I think this will really impact Axial sales. I have an SCX10, SCX10 ii, and TRX-4 D110. Each is heavily modified and brushless. If I were to get another crawler it would be this and I would finally paint up my proline bronco body.

I also want to buy a set locked up set of sport axles. My MST-CFX-W portals blow up regularly.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:49 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

I had originally thought about buying the bind and drive ford from vaterra but this really makes me second guess my choices. So I wonder if I should buy the traxxas or wait it out to see if vaterra has anything coming out here soon. I do like it. I feel like the portal axles are good and bad. Better ground clearance but more parts to break.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
4kids crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:08 AM   #31
RCC Addict

I love how Traxxas is listening and coming out with what people ask for. Maybe they can do Traxxasfest here in Vegas (Logandale Trails!). It has good rock and some small dunes for the go fast stuff as well as desert for the UDR.

Dropping those extra servos cut a good bit of weight off it compared to the other varieties. Its listed at 5.79lbs. The Bronco is listed at 6.42 and the Defender is listed at 7.43. That price is also very reasonable. Its going to be hard to pay the same amount for a plastic linked, plastic leaky shocked Axial when you can get this. I mean, the body isn't the best looking but I'd rather rock that than the Honcho.
Col_Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:49 AM   #32
Rock Stacker

Not a fan of the stock body, but that’s an easy fix. Otherwise, it’s a solid 1.9 rig at a great price. Well done traxxas.
flat6extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:38 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

I love my Bronco, but had this been an option a while back I would have gone this route.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I love how Traxxas is listening and coming out with what people ask for. Maybe they can do Traxxasfest here in Vegas (Logandale Trails!). It has good rock and some small dunes for the go fast stuff as well as desert for the UDR.

Dropping those extra servos cut a good bit of weight off it compared to the other varieties. Its listed at 5.79lbs. The Bronco is listed at 6.42 and the Defender is listed at 7.43. That price is also very reasonable. Its going to be hard to pay the same amount for a plastic linked, plastic leaky shocked Axial when you can get this. I mean, the body isn't the best looking but I'd rather rock that than the Honcho.
Yeah I love how Traxxas is listening too. They took way too long to get into this scene, but when they did they did it right and with a big bang!

Traxxas is in Texas and there's plenty of land down there, but it's about time one of the big companies bring the fun to the East Coast.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

Been anxiously considering pulling the trigger on the TRX-4 Bronco for about 6 weeks now, been holding off until we move in about a month to have more space to wrench... super happy I did now! TRX-4 Bronco was just a littttle pricier than I was comfortable with and as cool as the locking diffs / 2-speed sounded, probably more features than I need. Personally this truck body has just enough "Raptor" to it to make me find it sexy AF.
jwwolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:19 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids crawlin View Post
I had originally thought about buying the bind and drive ford from vaterra but this really makes me second guess my choices. So I wonder if I should buy the traxxas or wait it out to see if vaterra has anything coming out here soon. I do like it. I feel like the portal axles are good and bad. Better ground clearance but more parts to break.

It looks like that Vaterra kit sale just ended... In fact, several of the hobby stores are out of stock. That sale was surely to clear out retail inventory for a new product. I strongly suspect we will see a new Vaterra truck within the next 4 weeks.

As a newcomer to the scene, my research has led me to the conclusion that the Vaterra was a tremendous option 2 years ago.. but the TRX-4, ECX Barrage (and variants), and Redcat Gen7 are all newer releases that seem to offer significantly more support and stronger performance.
jwwolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

It would be awesome to see vaterra come out with a rig that has portal axles. I was planning to get the 68 Ford ascender but I think I'm going to hold out for a little longer just to see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwolf3 View Post
It looks like that Vaterra kit sale just ended... In fact, several of the hobby stores are out of stock. That sale was surely to clear out retail inventory for a new product. I strongly suspect we will see a new Vaterra truck within the next 4 weeks.

As a newcomer to the scene, my research has led me to the conclusion that the Vaterra was a tremendous option 2 years ago.. but the TRX-4, ECX Barrage (and variants), and Redcat Gen7 are all newer releases that seem to offer significantly more support and stronger performance.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

I just noticed the bind and drive went from 339 to 319. Something is going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids crawlin View Post
It would be awesome to see vaterra come out with a rig that has portal axles. I was planning to get the 68 Ford ascender but I think I'm going to hold out for a little longer just to see what happens.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #39

Quote:

Now the Axial and Vaterra are under the same parent company I think we will see a combined truck. If they put the SCX10 II axles on the Ascender chassis it would be perfect. The comp guys would disagree because of the battery tray.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Must mention here that the ECX Barrage (in all of its permutations) is not in the same class as the Ascender.

It's noticeably smaller with a little 380 or 390 can motor.

The new TRX4 Sport is the first release from Traxxas to go head-to-head with the Ascender (and the SCX10.2) as the earlier releases were priced much higher - which was completely understandable as they included additional features.

This is Traxxas sending a shot across the bow of the big boys in the crawler/scaler game.

The game will get very interesting from here on out!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-4 Sport - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Rock Sport Mountainsofbeer Scale Videos! 0 09-11-2017 02:36 AM
New to the sport R Hall Oklahoma 11 08-01-2015 03:06 PM
new to sport. sbrown5570 Newbie General 5 04-01-2013 09:59 PM
new to the sport itzlouie Newbie General 2 02-22-2011 06:05 PM
new to the sport rockbronco Newbie General 5 03-13-2006 04:22 PM