Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Trainer body for Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Trainer body for Bronco

I am brand new to the crawler scene and I just bought a new Bronco. I don't really want to bash up the Bronco body while I'm learning the ropes of how to drive my truck.

I found the Pro-Line 4-Runner body that states it fits on the TRX4 and I was wondering if anybody has put that on a Bronco before. If so, could they point me to a build thread (tried searching, but it gave me some API error) with info on any modifications I may need to make to get it to fit.
Up'n'Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2018, 07:59 AM   #2

Default Re: Trainer body for Bronco

It'll take some cutting down of the fenders, as the Bronco body is significantly wider than the 4-Runner. I'm currently using my 4-Runner to test fit for my RC4WD Tacoma body, and after looking at it for a bit, it's easier to scrap my fenders and go to shock towers for a quicker fit. You'll likely have a little better luck with something else full-sized (lots of F100/150s and C10 bodies out there).

I've never had a crawler body that stayed pretty for more than twenty minutes, so I'd go with "Run it!"

Just caught your pics over in the next thread. Lookin' sharp with the blacked-out windows and black wheels!

Last edited by Guy Incognito; 08-30-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #3

Like mentioned, it doesn't take long to jackup a crawler body. That's part of the fun. I am buying a spare body but it's just because I like my TRX4 and will still crawl with it and mash it up.
vipers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

I used to run a 4Runner as a trail body before converting to a hilux.

The 4Runner body is probably the easiest fit onto the bronco. Dimensions are great. A tiny bit of trimming the fenders is needed but it’s not much and isn’t difficult to do. Lexan scissors work fine for that. You’ll just need to drop the body posts a little and the bronco bumpers will not look right or good on there, but I just ran without bumpers, wasn’t trying to impress with the looks.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Just put a TRX4 Sport body on it. They are pretty cheap new and they are a drop on fit.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I recently finished a kit build and put a 4 runner body on it. Like others have said, you'll have to trim about 1/4" off the fenders and raise up the rock sliders 1/2" (or remove them).
Attached Images

FastMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'd say with all the work required to do up a new body painting it, fixing the body height and adjusting bumper fitment that after all that work you may just want to baby that body instead of the Bronco.

If this helps at all I can add that even after becoming a competent driver my bodies still get scratched to hell, not cracked and broken but scratched. So I wouldn't worry about it a ton.

You could even run body-less, though you might want to add some protection for roll overs so you dont smash the battery or anything else exposed, maybe some form of cardboard armor.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I'd say with all the work required to do up a new body painting it, fixing the body height and adjusting bumper fitment that after all that work you may just want to baby that body instead of the Bronco.
I was planning on ordering a new 4Runner body, but today I found a local guy selling a brand new Proline Rubicon unlimited body that he already cut and painted for $50. I just have to put on the decals. He's even trading me some modified wheel wells for my new uncut ones, so it drops right on the chassis.

I don't know that I will run bumpers for that body. I may just use the bumper mounts with no bumpers on them or look for something cheap that looks good with the Jeep. I would appreciate it if anybody can recommend an inexpensive set of bumpers.

After painting all the chrome and putting a light kit on the Bronco body, I've decided it's going to be a shelf queen/carpet princess and the Jeep will be the trail body. I'll do my Bronco up all nice and scale and not have to worry about rolling down a hill and breaking a $30+ piece of scale plastic.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMatt View Post
I recently finished a kit build and put a 4 runner body on it. Like others have said, you'll have to trim about 1/4" off the fenders and raise up the rock sliders 1/2" (or remove them).
I like those wheels. Are they Axial beadlocks?
Old 08-31-2018, 06:16 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up'n'Over View Post
I like those wheels. Are they Axial beadlocks?
Yes, they are. Found them for half price and didn't want to glue the kit tires. For clearance issues, I did have to change out the upper 2 outer portal screws from cap head to button head style. While I was at it, changed all the beadlock screws to stainless.
FastMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:29 AM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
That's unfortunate about the fitment. I like those and their price. However, I'd like to find something that will just fit.
Any of the ssd wheels
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:03 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Or check out the wheel fitment thread: TRX4 wheel fitment info
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
I wouldn't mind going this route, but I couldn't find any sport bodies for sale.

You haven't looked very hard. A 30 second search on ebay for TRX4 Sport turned up a half dozen new bodies in both red and blue. Here's just one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-NEW-TRA...UAAOSw89JbhznT
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
You haven't looked very hard. A 30 second search on ebay for TRX4 Sport turned up a half dozen new bodies in both red and blue. Here's just one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-NEW-TRA...UAAOSw89JbhznT
I will admit all I did was a google search. It didn't bring up anything, except for complete sport trucks. Now that I see the prices they want for the sport body, I'm happy with the body I ended up getting.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I just want to thank everybody for their input on this. I ended up getting a Proline Jeep Rubicon body from somebody local. It's already trimmed and painted and he even swapped out his modified fenders for mine, so the body drops right on the truck.

Last edited by Up'n'Over; 09-01-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Trainer body for Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RTF Trainer Plane Hirschowl Non Crawler RC's 1 12-11-2014 08:54 PM
trainer controller TLTCrawlin Chit Chat 0 08-26-2006 11:22 PM