RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   New truck: trx 4 bronco (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/599600-new-truck-trx-4-bronco.html)

iridebikes247 06-14-2018 07:44 AM

New truck: trx 4 bronco

So after some research I decided to go with the trx 4 bronco, picked it up at the lhs last night. Really nice well made truck I'm pumped to use it this summer. My last truck was an axial wraith, loved the thing.

So my question is what would you spend your first 150-200$ on in upgrades ? I definitely treat it like a crawler no need for speed. Lots of huge rock formations where I go camping over the summer, one of the reasons for it.

I was thinking a strong steering servo, then considered some brass portal covers amongst other parts but again I'm new to this platform. Will be checking all the sticky threads up top on the trx.

Thanks again guys.

jwwolf3 06-14-2018 07:56 AM

Re: New truck: trx 4 bronco

Congrats!! I also just picked up a Bronco! Have you actually driven it yet? I’d say drive it before deciding what you need.. also check out the stickied “guide to the TRX-4” up at the top, which is basically going to summarize the suggestions you’ll hear from users over the next few days.

What that thread suggests (as well as about every TRX-4 review out there suggests) is that the servo is about the only thing that truly warrants replacement out of the box. Having driven the truck about an hour myself... yeah. I’m not committed to any upgrades quite yet but when I’m ready, it’ll without a doubt have to be the servo. I can’t even really justify buying any more accessories until it’s replaced. For most Traxxas buyers I’m positive the servo is adequate, but since you’re browsing “rccrawler.com”... you’re gonna wanna replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topher Builds 06-14-2018 08:02 AM

Replacing the servo has been known to fry the esc if you power it directly from the receiver box. A BEC would help here.

I’d suggest going with a savox 1230 or 1231, traxxas metal servo horn, and Hobbywing 1080 as a first phase of upgrades. After that, wheels + tires or brass up front are good options too, but it’s not a bad idea to drive it for a while and see what it struggles with when you’re driving and plan other upgrades from there.

Congrats and enjoy!

AnimalHippie 06-14-2018 08:14 AM

Congrats & welcome to the Trx-4 addiction! My opinion & I'm sure you'll hear the same from allot of others. Buy a HW 1080 esc ( can sell the stock one for close to the same price as the hw. Stock esc not enough power without external bec for upgraded servo) , high torque steering servo ( I have a power hd 20k it does ok, but spend the money & buy a better one. I'm after a savox 1230sg), metal servo horn, steel or titanium steering links & some weight on the axles (portal covers/knuckle weights/chubs). Depending on how much weight you want on the axles & what servo you buy. you should have no issue staying under $200. With those things alone you will have an awesome crawler. Everything else in my opinion just change as it breaks. Good luck!

JatoTheRipper 06-14-2018 08:38 AM

Congrats!

The TRX-4 doesn't need much IMO.

HobbyWing WP 1080 ESC
Steering Servo - I'm using the Savox 1230
Beadlock wheels
Tires
SSD Portal weights for the front

Go drive!

StomperCrawler 06-14-2018 09:39 AM

Depends on where you're driving and your priorities, tires that work on the terrain you drive on for example.

Here's the trx-4 guide: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxx...e-trx-4-a.html

...and as for parts, I like:

$4 Xt60 connectors for ESC and motor
$11 lipo 3s 2200mah Turnigy batteries from Hobbyking x2 ~90 minutes of runtime... EACH
$12 JX 6621 20KG metal gear servo (not the 360) from Banggood high torque
$14 clear body from Banggood with $1.50 shipping
$15 power supply 15v 7a from Hobbyking for charger
$16/40 WP-1060/1080 ESC from eBay depending on whether I go cheap or want more drag brake options and stronger BEC
$32 Accucel-6 charger 80w from Hobbyking brand that I've used for years

As for wheels and tires, I like these:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2552346b40.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3bb3274070.jpg

iridebikes247 06-14-2018 04:49 PM

Thanks so much guys, very very good to know the stock esc won't like a strong servo. I have a savox 1256 from one of my boats in perfect condition was gunna toss it in...glad I didn't yet lol.

Also thank you for the links to products StomperCrawler, that is one hell of a bargain bin you put together quickly for a trx lol. Saw a video with those tires the other night and was blown away by the test results.

Will get some pics up of the truck to the appropriate area soon.

Levi 06-14-2018 06:40 PM

Congrats, a new truck is always great. Little late to the party. Of anything replace the stock steering servo and horn. And anything else brass weights. Now I have a Savox Servo in mine and I've not had any glitches her issues with anything and I don't run a bec. If you're looking for something definitely better I would upgrade it but I would rather spend the money on other stuff for now

degake 06-15-2018 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pant Danza (Post 5841974)
Replacing the servo has been known to fry the esc if you power it directly from the receiver box. A BEC would help here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHippie (Post 5841975)
Buy a HW 1080 esc ( can sell the stock one for close to the same price as the hw. Stock esc not enough power without external bec for upgraded servo)

I'm running a Power HD WP-23kg (since I had it sitting on my "new parts stock") and the stock esc has taken it like a champ. (I've ran it quite extensively in this configuration and never had any issues).
In fact, the XL5-HV was the only Traxxas esc I have that could take it without glitching or powering down. (Even the MXL6s (or Castle MM2) needed at least a glitch buster to keep it going.) So, don't underestimate the stock ESC.

I do have to agree that the Hobbywing 1080WP is a very good upgrade over the stock esc. It takes a lot less place on the chassis, runs a lot cooler, silent, and has lots of nice programming features to play with....

HTFU Defender 06-15-2018 09:19 AM

Yep, this. I am running my Savox straight from the receiver with no problems. Less torque but it's fine for my needs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pant Danza (Post 5841974)

I’d suggest going with a savox 1230 or 1231, traxxas metal servo horn, and Hobbywing 1080 as a first phase of upgrades. After that, wheels + tires or brass up front are good options too, but it’s not a bad idea to drive it for a while and see what it struggles with when you’re driving and plan other upgrades from there.

Congrats and enjoy!

iridebikes247 06-15-2018 11:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for more information on the escs and also servo options. Attached a few pictures first time out.