Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Why no aftermarket lockers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Why no aftermarket lockers?

Traxxas version has been back ordered forever. Why no aftermarket options?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Why no aftermarket lockers?

Like this?

https://supershafty.com/products/bom...-traxxas-spool
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:59 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Locked Up is supposed to have spools coming out soon.

Those are the only way I'm going fully locked on my TRX4.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

Traxxas killed it with the TRX-4, but they really dropped the ball with their optional upgrades. The release of some of the parts were delayed far too long and then some these parts were a disappointment. The Bronco LED light kit is a perfect example. Fortunately, most parts were worth the wait.

The spools are available on eBay though: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-TRA...4383.l4275.c10
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I read somewhere in this forum that some people have had the Traxxas spools break. In any case with the cost of shipping to Indonesia from the eBay link I've decided to go with the Super Shafties. They look solid enough.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
I read somewhere in this forum that some people have had the Traxxas spools break. In any case with the cost of shipping to Indonesia from the eBay link I've decided to go with the Super Shafties. They look solid enough.

I found them on eBay shipped from the US so I’m gonna give the traxxas version a shot. Just gonna lock the front with stock gears. Anybody know whether or not the stock gears are machined or pot metal? Now that I know SS makes one I can upgrade in the future. Was gonna go that route but they wanted $7 for shipping so I’ll wait until I have something else I need.

dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcardoza View Post
I found them on eBay shipped from the US so I’m gonna give the traxxas version a shot. Just gonna lock the front with stock gears. Anybody know whether or not the stock gears are machined or pot metal? Now that I know SS makes one I can upgrade in the future. Was gonna go that route but they wanted $7 for shipping so I’ll wait until I have something else I need.

You're lucky. The eBay ones are $35 shipping for me. The SS are ~$19 for two, a much better deal. For a HH motor eBay's Global Shipping Program wanted $40 for shipping and $95 import fees. The joys of expatriate life.

bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
Don't believe everything you read on the internet especially if you've only seen one person state it. There are lots of Traxxas haters out there.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I've read every TRX4 thread on here and cannot recall anyone breaking one.
I ordered 2 more from Traxxas on Saturday, I'm sure the reason they were on back order was due to the release of the new Sport model.

At the time I'm posting this that are out again, but keep checking daily https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8297

Aftermarket:
Leading Edge Machining
SuperShafty

Soon to come out from Locked Up RC and Vanquish according to the emails I received from both companies.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
I've read every TRX4 thread on here and cannot recall anyone breaking one.
I ordered 2 more from Traxxas on Saturday, I'm sure the reason they were on back order was due to the release of the new Sport model.

At the time I'm posting this that are out again, but keep checking daily https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8297

Aftermarket:
Leading Edge Machining
SuperShafty

Soon to come out from Locked Up RC and Vanquish according to the emails I received from both companies.
Somewhere I have seen pictures of broken Traxxas spools, might have been a TRX4 FB group. They cracked off a chunk of the spool around the driveshaft tang, which isn't out of the question because they are sintered and that area is pretty thin. Not saying it is a common problem but I see how it could happen.

As for the aftermarket spools, Super Shafty spools are made by LEM so really they are the same thing available from 2 different places.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Somewhere I have seen pictures of broken Traxxas spools, might have been a TRX4 FB group. They cracked off a chunk of the spool around the driveshaft tang, which isn't out of the question because they are sintered and that area is pretty thin. Not saying it is a common problem but I see how it could happen.

As for the aftermarket spools, Super Shafty spools are made by LEM so really they are the same thing available from 2 different places.
The Traxxas forum is full of I'll say "interesting" people to be nice. They find ways to break the unbreakable. I think sometimes certain people on there purposely try to break things just to complain about them.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I think sometimes certain people on there purposely try to break things just to complain about them.
That sounds like my kids.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

most defiantly, anything can break. Nice to know about the other spools, I never really looked that closely at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Traxxas forum is full of I'll say "interesting" people to be nice. They find ways to break the unbreakable. I think sometimes certain people on there purposely try to break things just to complain about them.
Oh you so nailed it with "interesting" some times I sit and read threads and just shake my head. One guys builds and ideas are.... ya, we'll just leave it at "interesting"
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote

Why no aftermarket lockers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aftermarket Vendors - Lockers binaryterror Traxxas TRX-4 21 12-12-2017 06:23 PM