Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Harley Designs TRX4 Sport Mega Mud Truck Build Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 04:03 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Harley Designs TRX4 Sport Mega Mud Truck Build Series

Harley Designs picked up a TRX4 Sport and is building a lifted mega mud truck out of it, should be interesting to where he goes with it. First episode he installs the Traxxas 8140x long arm lift kit and some wicked looking 2.6" JConcepts Fling King tires and Dragon wheels. It actually looks pretty good. Next up, he said he'll be installing a big brushless setup.

He originally was not a huge fan of he TRX4 Defender due to the locking diffs and 2 speed and the heavy Defender body. Looking at how clean the tires are in the video it appears he did not get a chance to run this as a simple rig with a light body before lifting it....

I'll re-edit this post and embed the videos here as he uploads them.

Last edited by ScoJac; 07-03-2018 at 04:06 AM.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Harley Designs TRX4 Sport Mega Mud Truck Build Series

He took that in a different direction, cool!
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Now I know what I'm going to do with my TRX4!!!! Maybe with a Codyboy touch!!!

Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

This would be a great build as he has show. I've always wanted a mudding truck
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Not even close to my style. Nice video Josh, but I'm gonna pass on the lift kit.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:24 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The diffs are her complex and a mass of bearings, that's a lot of maintenance for a mudder. No doubt be very capable, the trx4 is a beast and conquers all !
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:34 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I REALLY wish they made beadlocks for those wheels!!

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokersinsanity View Post
I REALLY wish they made beadlocks for those wheels!!

i assume you meant tires. there is a guy on bookface taking preorders. search "liftedcustomsrc"

also, integy makes some 2.8 beadlocks for the jato that ive seen people use.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yea sorry thats what i meant and i dont have crapbook lol havent for years hopefully theyll comeup somewhere else
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
i assume you meant tires. there is a guy on bookface taking preorders. search "liftedcustomsrc"

also, integy makes some 2.8 beadlocks for the jato that ive seen people use.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
He originally was not a huge fan of he TRX4 Defender due to the locking diffs and 2 speed and the heavy Defender body. Looking at how clean the tires are in the video it appears he did not get a chance to run this as a simple rig with a light body before lifting it....
This project isn't really unique nor my thing. Higher center of gravity sucks except for going in deep mud which I rarely come across.

Harley didn't like the TRX-4? I really don't see how anybody can dislike the TRX-4. It's the most fun trail truck out of the box. Sure, it's not an outright performance rig, but it's damn fun.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #11
20K Club

I've finally made it! Someone is doing a build thread for me! YAY!!!!

I didn't run the truck stock, but I have no doubt of the performance of it. I didn't like the complexities of the TRX4 with the locking diffs and 2-speed. I don't like 2-speeds and never have. Good brushless systems can do all that is needed without the mechanical fail points. The diff lockers, same, just not a fan. However I still know the TRX is one of the best out of the box RTR's as far as features and durability. However I still just didn't fall in love with them driving one. But still, great trucks.

I wanted to buy the lift kit, just to say I've actually used it and looked at it. I couldn't come up with any idea of how to use a lift kit other than this truck!

Oh, and I hate mud. Im a walking contradiction with this build
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I'm of the same mindset as you, Harley...

I can't see actually running my RC vehicles in mud that's bad enough to get on anything more than the tires and body!

(the mud around here is pretty stinky!)

However, back in my misspent youth, I took part in 1:1 mudding back in high school, not that I had a truck myself, but I rode in the bed standing up and hanging on the rollbar for dear life...

I do like the idea of SOMEDAY perhaps having a dedicated mudder, and with an appropriate body the lifted TRX4 Sport looks like it would be a blast, and with some of the drivetrain complexity removed in the Sport version it could serve quite well - as at least the center diff is nice and high up out of the muck!

I do SO want to have a set of the Fling King tires, and without going mudding they seem rather pointless...

Maybe, if I got a house on some land, I could make a miniature mud-run with some "cleaner" mud!

Last edited by durok; 07-05-2018 at 05:32 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I've finally made it! Someone is doing a build thread for me! YAY!!!!

I didn't run the truck stock, but I have no doubt of the performance of it. I didn't like the complexities of the TRX4 with the locking diffs and 2-speed. I don't like 2-speeds and never have. Good brushless systems can do all that is needed without the mechanical fail points. The diff lockers, same, just not a fan. However I still know the TRX is one of the best out of the box RTR's as far as features and durability. However I still just didn't fall in love with them driving one. But still, great trucks.

I wanted to buy the lift kit, just to say I've actually used it and looked at it. I couldn't come up with any idea of how to use a lift kit other than this truck!

Oh, and I hate mud. Im a walking contradiction with this build
I'm surprised the 2-speed and remote lockers didn't win you over after driving a TRX-4. I didn't think I'd be a fan of them until I drove the truck. Now I can't imagine it without them. I have my other trucks for locked down fun.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:40 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I can see both sides, I also prefer a simple rig. But, I do still like the gadgetry of my Defender although after a year of owning that I rarely ever unlock the diffs or throw it into 2nd gear. When I recently purchased the kit my goal was to make it a simple rig with permanently locked diffs and a single speed gearbox....then 90 days later Traxxas announces the sport

And Harley, cant wait to see where you take the build.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #15
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm surprised the 2-speed and remote lockers didn't win you over after driving a TRX-4. I didn't think I'd be a fan of them until I drove the truck. Now I can't imagine it without them. I have my other trucks for locked down fun.
But as I've seen you say in the Axe thread, you don't have any experience with good brushless systems. With a quality sensored system, I can slow craw as needed and have as much top speed as a solid axle rig can handle (especially with the suspension and COG of the TRX).

The locking diffs, I just find no reason for when every time I get into something technical I basically need them locked for max traction.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #16

Quote:
But as I've seen you say in the Axe thread, you don't have any experience with good brushless systems. With a quality sensored system, I can slow craw as needed and have as much top speed as a solid axle rig can handle (especially with the suspension and COG of the TRX).

The locking diffs, I just find no reason for when every time I get into something technical I basically need them locked for max traction.
I don't remember saying that. I have a good system in my Bomber - Mamba Monster X with a HH Puller Pro 3500kv and previously a Tekin ROC412 3100kv. In my SCX10s I started with brushless, but quickly moved to brushed and never looked back.

I can understand not needing 2nd speed. I think I use the transmission to adjust the drag brake strength more than anything. But the diffs are lots of fun for me. I try to climb things with open diffs and often the TRX-4 surprises me. If that doesn't work I try to lock the front only and at last resort I lock 'em all.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Ive been experimenting with the mamba x with slate motor for about a year and i play in mud, snow, water pretty much anything i can get my rig in and after a year i had to replace the 2 bearings in the motor other then that ive never had any issues. The mamba x has a motor temp cutoff so u never have to worry about overheating the only issue ive had with sensor is the plug coming undone. And with the 4 different kv options u have lots to play with ive seen 1900kv run and i own the 2850kv and the 3800kv ( complete overkill for a crawler but still does the job)
Quote:

Old 07-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #18
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't remember saying that. I have a good system in my Bomber - Mamba Monster X with a HH Puller Pro 3500kv and previously a Tekin ROC412 3100kv. In my SCX10s I started with brushless, but quickly moved to brushed and never looked back.

I can understand not needing 2nd speed. I think I use the transmission to adjust the drag brake strength more than anything. But the diffs are lots of fun for me. I try to climb things with open diffs and often the TRX-4 surprises me. If that doesn't work I try to lock the front only and at last resort I lock 'em all.
Now I remember, it was that you onlybrun 2s. Not the brushless thing. But I hardly ever look at brushed any more, brushless needs almost no maintenance and has so much more power. I run my rigs a lot and I run them pretty hard, brushed motors just don’t last long enough for me.

Adjusting drag brake? A Mamba X can remotely adjust it on the fly at .5% increments! I love adjustable drag brake, it’s one of my favorite features in new ESC’s. But I like to do it while maintaining my full range of speed and power.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Even with the adjustable drag brake on my X, I often want more brake, and having that other gear can help. I’m usually already in low anyway, so a lot of times it doesn’t even matter, though...
Also, on sections of trail in between technical parts, I feel like the open diffs roll smoother, turn tighter and certainly handle better. I like having the options, and since I haven’t had any issues in the 8 months I’ve had it, I can’t see any real disadvantage, until now, lol! Keeping it simple in the mud!

Last edited by Turtlejon; 07-07-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Now I remember, it was that you onlybrun 2s. Not the brushless thing. But I hardly ever look at brushed any more, brushless needs almost no maintenance and has so much more power. I run my rigs a lot and I run them pretty hard, brushed motors just don’t last long enough for me.

Adjusting drag brake? A Mamba X can remotely adjust it on the fly at .5% increments! I love adjustable drag brake, it’s one of my favorite features in new ESC’s. But I like to do it while maintaining my full range of speed and power.
Yeah I run 2S and 3S - mostly 2S.

The Auxiliary Wire on the Castle X ESCs is the best ESC innovation in decades. I use it to toggle the drag brake on and off on my Bomber. I haven't looked into adjusting the strength of the fly. I don't even remember that it could do that.

Harley Designs TRX4 Sport Mega Mud Truck Build Series - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trx4 Sport build Shawns303 Traxxas TRX-4 15 01-12-2020 08:41 PM
Can we get a mega truck - mud truck - monster truck section? Calderwood Comments, Suggestions, and Help 46 08-07-2015 11:15 AM
Harley Designs ibex build (no pics) Bmxreeves Tools, and Procedures 10 03-31-2015 06:56 PM
Trigger King R/C Mega Truck Series - Mud Racing thisdougsforu Competitions 0 04-30-2014 01:45 PM