Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Well it finally happened....I cooked my servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2018, 03:51 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Well it finally happened....I cooked my servo

So I knew it was only a matter of time, but quite frankly I thought it would have happened sooner. I probably have at least 30 hours of run time on the stock steering servo. Some of which includes a couple hours of my 3.5 year old going left and right rapidly in the back yard.

I think the last run I did with it I think is what did it in. I got my nephew into a new everest gen 7 pro and after a few dremel body mods we went for a pretty intense run. Very articulate rocky terrain. I had a blast and he was hooked as well. Went to run it today but the servo would center and would only go hard one way.

I picked up a servo in advance in anticipation of this a JX 30kg waterproof all metal gear servo. Seems like several people have tried and liked them. I'm also aware that hooking it up to the stock esc will almost immediately result in smoke. I am fairly new to the world of scale crawlers and loving it but am just not sure on which esc to pick as there seems to be a lot of choices available. I know I want to stay with a brushed motor, and want to be able to use all the functions the trx4 currently has as well as use the servo I picked up. Wondering what people are running and if there is any recommendations.
FANATICRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2018, 04:00 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Well it finally happened....I cooked my servo

For $40 you really can't go wrong with the Hobbywing 1080. I installed mine before I even drove my rig. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #3

The 1080 is by far the best brushed "budget" ESC. I hesitate to call it budget because it's budget in price only and not in features. I highly suggest picking one up. It also has a strong internal BEC so you don't need the hassle of an external BEC.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Hobbywing 1080 for sure, did the same thing, installed it before I even ran my new sport, best brushed esc for your money, unless you wanna go big bucks
fomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #5

^^^^^What those guys said^^^
My servo went out while crawling, Replaced it with a *gasp* 3218 20kg. ESC smoked the next day, Got a HW 1080. Don't regret it at all. Gives the ability to setup how you want and made driving a pleasure, I thought the Bronco reversed too fast when I got it, never see my self needing to fast reverse. Now i can much more eaily reverse to get the angle of aproach where i waht it.

Also while your setting up the end points and such on the servo, take a few minutes to reset the Dif lock servers to Revrse only, both, front only. And turn TSM off.... Makes a world of difference in my book!
Miatardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:22 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miatardo View Post
Also while your setting up the end points and such on the servo, take a few minutes to reset the Dif lock servers to Revrse only, both, front only. And turn TSM off.... Makes a world of difference in my book!
I wasn't aware that you could do this. Is that something you do on the traxxas remote or something on the ESC? Did my end points on my steering servo when I installed it.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I wasn't aware that you could do this. Is that something you do on the traxxas remote or something on the ESC? Did my end points on my steering servo when I installed it.
Yes sir it is possible. Both are done from controller the same way as setting endpoints.

The instructions for TSM adjustment are in the PDf version of the manual online.

For the diff lock switch it is similar to reversing a servo only it is not listed in th manual. I watched a few videos on this this, however I cannot remember which video I actually used. This one may be it.

https://youtu.be/3L5UmrpB5kw
Old 07-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miatardo View Post
I didn't know the TRX-4 had TSM. I'll be sure to check that mine is off.

I like my open diffs so I won't be resetting the diff lockers.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Definitely don't want TSM activated. In no way do I want something controlling my rig. I understand it's use on go fast rigs, but would probably screw you up trying to crawl rocks. I might do the back locked, front locked, all locked. I don't run very often fully unlocked & rear only sounds like it could be fun. I know I loved playing in my 1:1 rig with the rear locked.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Definitely don't want TSM activated. In no way do I want something controlling my rig. I understand it's use on go fast rigs, but would probably screw you up trying to crawl rocks. I might do the back locked, front locked, all locked. I don't run very often fully unlocked & rear only sounds like it could be fun. I know I loved playing in my 1:1 rig with the rear locked.

I rarely run it in full lock either. I think the way the switch is you would have to do rear, both, front. However I do feel like the truck did better in all areas this way.

I went on a few trails over the last weekend. It was the first time i went rear lock only and TSM off. It will now do donuts with out ending on it top, and hard acceleration on loose packed sub-straights the truck now fish tails properly. It actually made it easier for me to control, because my brain was in a loop fighting the computers corrections.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Ordered
Old 07-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I didn't know the TRX-4 had TSM. I'll be sure to check that mine is off.

I like my open diffs so I won't be resetting the diff lockers.
Fairly certain TSM disabled in the TRX-4 from the factory, but it can be turned back on using the menu tree from the transmitter.

I disabled the multi-function knob all together once the trim and all that was set.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Trying to figure out what to set the LVC for this hobby wing 1080. Running 3s 5500mah lipo currently. It gives low, med and high and initial start force
Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

LiPos last longer if you set the voltage cutoff point to be high.

Only takes a couple minutes off from your runtime, and takes less time to recharge them or storage charge them after.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:53 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Thx
Old 08-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

For my racing vehicles I like to set the cutoff from 7.2- 7.0 just to be safe. Rarely even hit cutoff in a 7 minute race.
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Well it finally happened....I cooked my servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Childhood dream finally happened mulies4ever Tamiya Bruiser 7 07-23-2019 06:22 AM
Is it cooked? Fumey Electronics 2 05-31-2016 05:35 PM
Cooked a Novak... what next? n_d_fox Electronics 6 05-16-2015 09:39 AM
Cooked esc Tyler-brown Redcat Crawlers 5 12-19-2011 06:20 PM
Cooked bearing RD400 Chit Chat 8 09-18-2006 10:24 PM