Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #521
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleybb50 View Post
Where'd you score that body?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Local hobby shop ,its available from traxxas now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #522
I wanna be Dave

Did a couple quick, easy mods today. Installed an aluminum motor mount plate. Like others, my experience with the plastic one was that it seemed to have a bit of play. Swapped in the aluminum one and it's definitely more snug. Pinion and Spur mesh sounded better as well. Next, threw the Brass wheel hexes on. They're only minimally heavier than the stockers, 2gms versus 4gms each. But, the brass units utilize a 2mm head for the cross pins, so less chance of rounding out than the smaller 1.5 IMHO - especially when things get gritty/grimey. Total cost $15.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #523
Quarry Creeper

This what happens when u have nothing to do all day and make a slider into a truck from whole bunch of leftover parts lol ...just need to change plug on esc and should add bec or maybe just get a 1080 lol
Also running sport springs with 17.5wt oil and 10T pinion on 3s .

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:10 PM   #524
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedawi View Post
your advice worked out pretty good
Sure did! Truck looks INSANELY good man.
rattmobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:13 AM   #525
Rock Stacker

Smoked my stock motor today (literally, tons of smoke during a climb!) with probably 6 packs through the truck total - so I dismantled the front axle/portals/diff, swapped in fresh Jim's Bearings and got to work pulling the tranny to check for any weird stuff as I got this TRX4 used and there's always been a weird-ish binding noise. Pulled it all apart, inspected, and put it all back together but there still seems to be a weird bind that goes on in low gear for about 5-6 teeth and then it spins smooth again. It's not a crazy amount and totally might be normal but this is my first TRX so who knows, honestly. Got fresh bearings in the transmission and will do the rear axle tomorrow.

Now on to figuring out a power system. Thinking maybe Mamba X and a 6-pole sensored brushless of some sort (KRATOS maybe? are there any others?). I'm looking to gain a fair bit of 3S top end speed in 2nd gear as 10mph just doesn't do it for me, but not lose much low speed crawlability. It seems like with a 6 pole you can go up to 3800kv and still retain the low speed smoothness.

Any powertrain recommendations off the top of anyone's head? I think brushless is a sure bet for me as I can't be tearing up brushes as fast as I did with the Titan - I do lots of mudding and water crossings - but at the same time a KRATOS 6-Pole 3800kv + Mamba X is tipping $300 which is a bit nuts.

Last edited by jessedacri; 03-04-2019 at 12:16 AM.
jessedacri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:08 AM   #526
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessedacri View Post
Smoked my stock motor today (literally, tons of smoke during a climb!) with probably 6 packs through the truck total - so I dismantled the front axle/portals/diff, swapped in fresh Jim's Bearings and got to work pulling the tranny to check for any weird stuff as I got this TRX4 used and there's always been a weird-ish binding noise. Pulled it all apart, inspected, and put it all back together but there still seems to be a weird bind that goes on in low gear for about 5-6 teeth and then it spins smooth again. It's not a crazy amount and totally might be normal but this is my first TRX so who knows, honestly. Got fresh bearings in the transmission and will do the rear axle tomorrow.

Now on to figuring out a power system. Thinking maybe Mamba X and a 6-pole sensored brushless of some sort (KRATOS maybe? are there any others?). I'm looking to gain a fair bit of 3S top end speed in 2nd gear as 10mph just doesn't do it for me, but not lose much low speed crawlability. It seems like with a 6 pole you can go up to 3800kv and still retain the low speed smoothness.

Any powertrain recommendations off the top of anyone's head? I think brushless is a sure bet for me as I can't be tearing up brushes as fast as I did with the Titan - I do lots of mudding and water crossings - but at the same time a KRATOS 6-Pole 3800kv + Mamba X is tipping $300 which is a bit nuts.

Theres no better esc right now as the mamba x, the aux feature is awesome. But regarding motor have a look at the holmes motors. Great Quality for a decent price
https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...-standard.html
or
https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...0l-stubby.html
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:42 AM   #527

Got the front narrowed. Need to fab some bumpers and finish the back.

She's been rode hard and put away wet.
Attached Images

Gator-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:08 AM   #528

finally shredded a front portal gear. Luckily a friend had one in his box and got me going again. Time to stock up on some spares!

it was 100% my fault...side note my truck tops out at 21.6mph with the 4s brick strapped on there.
ray4624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #529
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

"Lots of mudding and water crossings" - this is not ideal with Brushless in my experience. Even with supposedly "ruggedized" brushless motors. Water and grit WILL find a way in. Not to say you can't do it, but be prepared to fully service and inspect the brushless motor after each of these outings.

If you prefer to mud and play around in water, I think you're far better off with a good brushless set up. HW1080ESC (about $40 all day long and awesome tuneability). Then select the brushed motor of your choice. For the cost differential, you could replace a brushed motor 6 times before you're in the price range of a good, hardened brushless set up. Just my .02 pesos.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #530
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
"Lots of mudding and water crossings" - this is not ideal with Brushless in my experience. Even with supposedly "ruggedized" brushless motors. Water and grit WILL find a way in. Not to say you can't do it, but be prepared to fully service and inspect the brushless motor after each of these outings.

If you prefer to mud and play around in water, I think you're far better off with a good brushless set up. HW1080ESC (about $40 all day long and awesome tuneability). Then select the brushed motor of your choice. For the cost differential, you could replace a brushed motor 6 times before you're in the price range of a good, hardened brushless set up. Just my .02 pesos.

Hmm - can I squeeze a little bit more top end out of something brushed? I don't need a ridiculous wheelie monster but just want some more speed in second without totally toppling the ability to move slowly in first.

I guess the mud/water thing is a season-specific thing, be honest. I live in Los Angeles and we've gotten an unusual amount of rain in the same timeframe that I've been getting into crawlers. I suspect I'll be unable to find water and mud pretty soon once spring hits. I am absolutely up to my neck in insane mountain terrain though! 6,000 feet above sea level within 30 minutes of my front door which is right about at 0.

Also - should I expect more than 6 3s 5000 packs out of a brushed motor that's worked hard in all terrain? Prolonged 45 degree crawls (I have some lines up here that must be 800 feet or more, no relief for the powertrain), some moisture, etc? I'm loving staying under $100 all in for a new setup, but if the brushless setup will hold out for 4 times as long provided that I keep an eye on regular maintenance and inspection, it may even out eventually. I drive this thing a lot!

Last edited by jessedacri; 03-04-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #531
I wanna be Dave

"Also - should I expect more than 6 3s 5000 packs out of a brushed motor that's worked hard in all terrain? Prolonged 45 degree crawls (I have some lines up here that must be 800 feet or more, no relief for the powertrain), some moisture, etc?"

The short answer is yes. But given the scale of production of a motor like the Titan, "batch quality" certainly comes in to play.

"I'm loving staying under $100 all in for a new setup, but if the brushless setup will hold out for 4 times as long provided that I keep an eye on regular maintenance and inspection, it may even out eventually. I drive this thing a lot!"

It really all depends on what you want. Brushed is great for crawling in terms of the low speed resolution and start up that can be achieved. That said, brushless systems have gotten really good and can darn near approach brushed in that regard now. I run both systems over a half dozen rigs. I don't play submarine captain or do extensive mudding with any of my rigs though. Some creek crossings, puddles, some mud, but nothing crazy.

A brushed set up is going to be much more forgiving in regard to wet and muddy conditions. Not that you should, but you can kinda "ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet. The brushless is going to offer a good bit more performance in terms of wheelspeed and ability to "pop" out of obstacles - but again, it's going to demand a complete and thorough cleaning and inspection after EVERY mud and water run.

There really is no wrong or right with either one. You can spec an awesome brushed or brushless system. Like everything, they both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

PS - Did you ever do the long travel set up??????

Last edited by mewalsh100; 03-04-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #532
RCC Addict

Quote:

I would go with the Mamba X and Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 540 3500kv and run it with a 9t pinion.

Last edited by Inspector86; 03-04-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #533
RCC Addict

I Submarine my brushless motors ( CC 1410 and HH Puller pro r) regulary since 3 years now without issues and without special maintanance, except WD40 silicon oil.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #534
Quarry Creeper

So i decided to keep the colors on the engine true to the Coyote 5.0 and repainted it.

DAW01680 by Moe Eldawi, on Flickr

DAW01684 by Moe Eldawi, on Flickr

DAW01690 by Moe Eldawi, on Flickr

DAW01698 by Moe Eldawi, on Flickr
moedawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #535
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I would go with the Mamba X and Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 540 3500kv and run it with a 9t pinion.
Awesome - this is actually along the lines of what I was thinking. Any reason to go for the XL over the regular puller pro?

Dumb question, and roast me at your will: can I run this setup with the standard Traxxas 3s 5000mah 25C lipos? I've got a few of them already and will not change this - the compactness of the iD charger for travel and the ease of it all (I can't tell you how many balance leads on my aerial stuff would be thrashed or the pins pulled out before I switched to DJI) makes this setup a non-negotiable part of my kit. I can't be carrying around an ATX power supply with a 90 decibel fan anymore. Batteries should be trivial and hands-off and Traxxas has the closest thing to the DJI Smart Batteries on my aerial cine rigs.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #536
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
"Also - should I expect more than 6 3s 5000 packs out of a brushed motor that's worked hard in all terrain? Prolonged 45 degree crawls (I have some lines up here that must be 800 feet or more, no relief for the powertrain), some moisture, etc?"

The short answer is yes. But given the scale of production of a motor like the Titan, "batch quality" certainly comes in to play.

"I'm loving staying under $100 all in for a new setup, but if the brushless setup will hold out for 4 times as long provided that I keep an eye on regular maintenance and inspection, it may even out eventually. I drive this thing a lot!"

It really all depends on what you want. Brushed is great for crawling in terms of the low speed resolution and start up that can be achieved. That said, brushless systems have gotten really good and can darn near approach brushed in that regard now. I run both systems over a half dozen rigs. I don't play submarine captain or do extensive mudding with any of my rigs though. Some creek crossings, puddles, some mud, but nothing crazy.

A brushed set up is going to be much more forgiving in regard to wet and muddy conditions. Not that you should, but you can kinda "ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet. The brushless is going to offer a good bit more performance in terms of wheelspeed and ability to "pop" out of obstacles - but again, it's going to demand a complete and thorough cleaning and inspection after EVERY mud and water run.

There really is no wrong or right with either one. You can spec an awesome brushed or brushless system. Like everything, they both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

PS - Did you ever do the long travel set up??????

Thanks for the info here. I think sticking with a new titan is out, if a little bit of marine grease on the gears throughout the truck and some carefree trailing in 2nd is going to make it smoke I'm on to other options. Still debating between a brushless puller pro or a 1080 and remaining brushed on an unknown motor for awhile. I don't mind minor mechanical maintenance to keep the motor fresh but I don't want to be pulling stuff too far apart to do so. I tore into the axles and transmission last night and it was way too much work to be a weekly thing. Got some minor binding somewhere in the transmission that isn't visible on any of the gears in there so I may just pick up a whole tranny and drop it in ($40 on Ebay!). I got this truck used and right from the first pack I ran the transmission was making some noise, so it's been a gremlin from the start.

Haven't done the long travel setup yet - it's kind of on hold because the truck is costing me money in other ways and I'm pretty happy with where I have it on stock shocks with as little preload as possible, heavier gmade wheels and a little bit of brass. I'm gonna start a build thread soon though as I get a bit more into the process.

Last edited by jessedacri; 03-04-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #537

I got new beadlocks for my scout! If only they had little red and blue pin stripes around the edge they'd be just like the set I had on my 1:1.
Tree_Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #538
Quarry Creeper

Made License Plate and colored some letters on the tires
DAW01772 by Moe Eldawi, on Flickr

DAW01773 by Moe Eldawi, on Flickr

DAW01777 by Moe Eldawi, on Flickr

DAW01778 by Moe Eldawi, on Flickr

DAW01774 by Moe Eldawi, on Flickr

DAW01767 by Moe Eldawi, on Flickr

DAW01775 by Moe Eldawi, on Flickr

DAW01769 by Moe Eldawi, on Flickr

DAW01768 by Moe Eldawi, on Flickr
moedawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:26 AM   #539
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Awesome - this is actually along the lines of what I was thinking. Any reason to go for the XL over the regular puller pro?

Dumb question, and roast me at your will: can I run this setup with the standard Traxxas 3s 5000mah 25C lipos? I've got a few of them already and will not change this - the compactness of the iD charger for travel and the ease of it all (I can't tell you how many balance leads on my aerial stuff would be thrashed or the pins pulled out before I switched to DJI) makes this setup a non-negotiable part of my kit. I can't be carrying around an ATX power supply with a 90 decibel fan anymore. Batteries should be trivial and hands-off and Traxxas has the closest thing to the DJI Smart Batteries on my aerial cine rigs.
The XL is not what you want for a crawler. The "Standard" 540 Puller Pro has more power than competing brushless motors with the same can size and super-smooth startup at slow speeds, which you would lose out on with the XL. The XL is for rock racers like the Axial Yeti or Losi Rock Rey.

As for the 25C rating on the Traxxas batteries, they are somewhat conservative with their ratings - they are fine for use with brushless and a top-notch speed control such as a Castle Mamba X.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #540
Rock Crawler

Ordered the boy for his Bronco a matching rear bumper. I let him do most of all his own upgrades. Sometimes he needs help putting something together. But he is starting to get excited about doing his own upgrades. So I also let him pick his own stuff that he wants on his trucks. Great to spend time together and work on some tiny trucks.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote

What did you do to your TRX-4 today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM