Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #541
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Ordered the boy for his Bronco a matching rear bumper. I let him do most of all his own upgrades. Sometimes he needs help putting something together. But he is starting to get excited about doing his own upgrades. So I also let him pick his own stuff that he wants on his trucks. Great to spend time together and work on some tiny trucks.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
watch him becomes a styrene master and makes his own body lol
moedawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2019, 11:43 PM   #542
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I'm curious if the Axial XJ molded plastic grille could be fitted in the proline Comanche body.
Took the knife out and started this tonight. Stopping here for now but should work out just fine. Likely going to lose the molded front bumper but left it there to see the fit.

The grill has a slight curve to it where the hood of the Comanche has a flat face. I’m no body wizard like some of y’all but it’s close enough that I think it should sit in there fairly clean with a little work.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #543
I wanna be Dave

I was trying to avoid it, but since I'm keeping the stock Tx/Rx in this rig so it can be used as a loaner, I installed a 10amp BEC last night. When I installed the ProModeler servo a couple months back, I initially bumped up the 1080 output voltage to 7.4, but the Rx started acting buggy. I figured the 337oz rating act 6.0v would be sufficient, and overall it has been. I did notice that it got a bit more sluggish with all the Samix brass I just added though. Anyway, I had the BEC laying around and figured what the hell, I may as well maximize the servos capacity. At 7.4v it jumps up to 400oz and gains speed. I've gotta say, the extra 63ozs of capacity feels like a good bit more!

Pretty well have all the wiring neatly routed and managed. BEC tucks neatly in to the little crevice area towards the front of the BowHouse battery tray. 10lbs of cr@p meets 5lb sack!
Attached Images

Last edited by mewalsh100; 03-08-2019 at 08:35 AM.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #544
Gold Star Baby!

Walsh that looks clean. Nice work. Gaining 63oz is approximately a 20% increase, glad to hear that made a noticeable difference.

Also stumbled across this just now. Not sure where else to put it so I’m putting it here. Samix just released a v2 is their chub that now has shock mounts on them. Interesting! Love that the already immense aftermarket for the trx4 is still coming out with new, quality options.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #545
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Danza! I could definitely feel that increase right away. Great find on that new Samix chub. Looks like it outboards the shock mount a good bit, and provides two possible locations for the mount. I'll be curious to get some feedback from folks that try these out.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #546
I wanna be Dave

Took the Sporto out to check out the Servo performance at 7.4v. Definitely more power to wiggle around and move out of binds. The combination of snow and mud made things particularly slick today too.

The creek was still frozen though so it gave me the chance to come at the rocks at some different entry points which was cool. Still coming away impressed with the Canyon Trail tires. If you would of asked me when they were on the plastic wheels with stock foams, I would have said "they're good for an RTR tire". With the CI foams and some venting, I'd just straight up say they're good tires.

Can't wait for the weather to break so I can get back to work on my course - adding more rocks, wooden features, etc. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty wet for a while though.

P.S> I forgot to mention how much I am loving having these INNER FENDERS, especially on wet,muddy days like today. It's amazing how much cr@p they keep out of the inner chassis area!
Attached Images

Last edited by mewalsh100; 03-08-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #547
Rock Stacker

Fried my titan motor last weekend as you might know and went back and forth over which brushless motor I should pick up. I contacted Holmes Hobbies via email on Monday asking for advice and never heard back (?) so instead of going brushless I just picked up the Trailmaster sport 21T for 20 bucks and am very happy on the stock electronics. Noticeably more torque and noticeably more top end, it's a lot punchier than the Titan and I won't mind beating it up for awhile like this, especially being eleven times cheaper than a Mamba X and Puller Pro combo.

I thought I had a binding issue in the drivetrain somewhere and I got this TRX4 used so I went to town this week:

Pulled the front axle/diff/portals and regreased, installed brand new Jim's Bearings.
Pulled the transmission and regreased, replacing all the bearings in there with fresh bearings from Jim's as well.

Pulled the center driveshafts and realized they're seized up and don't slide in and out, so I picked up some Yeah Racing center shafts and installed em. They wobble a tiny bit at the output and rub the transmission housing so I had to scrape/sand it down a bit to fix this:

And finally soldered up the Trailmaster motor - forgot to pick up motor leads so I pulled them from the dead Titan:

Left the rear alone for now, got tired of pulling stuff apart and the truck already seems much smoother. Got fresh bearings ready to go in for the rear as well.

Also installed the cheap Chinese winch I ordered that just showed up. I don't intend on wiring this up, it's just for looks - so I didn't mind that this is probably a pretty weak performer or that it's inevitably gonna get soaked. Its funny, the listing showed a "WARN" sticker but mine came with a sticker that says "RUN". Gotta at least figure out how to wind it manually to get rid of some of the slack. Not sure if I'll keep the winch long term or move to a shorter bumper when this one falls apart again to gain better angle of attack.

Back in action, shredded a red hook off the bumper minutes prior:

Also not pictured but I installed a Bowhouse low CG battery tray to get those big 3S 5000 packs lower in the frame. Not sure what's next, but I think I might need to pick up a stainless hardware set because I can't stand all the rust after every run! I'm honestly also resisting as hard as I can picking up another TRX4. I want to build one for scale (probably this one) and build another a little more ambitious.

Last edited by jessedacri; 03-08-2019 at 01:28 PM.
jessedacri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #548
I wanna be Dave

Spent some time cleaning and going over the rig last night after the recent snow and mud runs. Got her all cleaned up then threw on one of these little upper skids up front. It actually hung down a bit too low in my opinion, so I ended up throwing it in the bender and now the bottom portion runs parallel to the chassis rails.

Then, woke up early this morning while the ground was still frozen and picked up all the debris and sticks on my existing trails and raked all the leaves off of them. Looking good and clean now. I also got a whole new line knocked in at the back that serves as an upper loop near my rock bridges at the creek. It's on a nice angle and should make for some sweet side-hilling. It's just roughed in now, but I'll post some pics as I make progress on all this stuff.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #549
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Spent some time cleaning and going over the rig last night after the recent snow and mud runs. Got her all cleaned up then threw on one of these little upper skids up front. It actually hung down a bit too low in my opinion, so I ended up throwing it in the bender and now the bottom portion runs parallel to the chassis rails.

Then, woke up early this morning while the ground was still frozen and picked up all the debris and sticks on my existing trails and raked all the leaves off of them. Looking good and clean now. I also got a whole new line knocked in at the back that serves as an upper loop near my rock bridges at the creek. It's on a nice angle and should make for some sweet side-hilling. It's just roughed in now, but I'll post some pics as I make progress on all this stuff.
Where did you get that front skid, I like!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #550
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Kincer - I was just surfin the Bay of Fleas and in popped up in my items you may be interested in. I can PM you the link if you want. Just let me know.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #551
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Thanks Kincer - I was just surfin the Bay of Fleas and in popped up in my items you may be interested in. I can PM you the link if you want. Just let me know.
Sure, PM the link, Thank you!
Old 03-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #552
Quarry Creeper

Got the front grill installed ...think now it looks like a Toyota Tundra lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #553
Rock Crawler

Did a little bit to the truck today. Got my new wheels and tires.

GMade 1.9 SRO4 rims
Pro-Line Hyrax 4.19” OD Super soft compound
RC4WD Tough Armor front bumper
RC4WD 9.5cti.

All mounted up and just need to power the wireless winch controller and maybe one day paint the body.

Not installed is the BowHouse RC high clearance skid. Will be installed at a later date when I upgrade the motor and ESC.

Sorry the pics came out weird. Will take more when I can get it outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:55 AM   #554
Rock Crawler

Wanted to ask, has anyone used the constant power lead that comes off the Stock ESC for the RC4WD winch controller? I am trying to figure out the best way to wire this kit up. If this is not allowed in this thread, please delete it and I will make a stand alone one.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:11 AM   #555
RCC Addict

The jst power lead ist directly connected to the lipo if it is the stock ESC. so if the voltage of your lipo is compatible. Yes.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:38 AM   #556
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
The jst power lead ist directly connected to the lipo if it is the stock ESC. so if the voltage of your lipo is compatible. Yes.

Cool thanks. I am running a 3S Lipo so I may need a separate power source. Or just wire it to the receiver for regulated power.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:53 AM   #557
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYACE63 View Post
Cool thanks. I am running a 3S Lipo so I may need a separate power source. Or just wire it to the receiver for regulated power.

Take care what you run from the stock ESC, internal BEC is only rated 1A.

magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #558
Quarry Creeper

Added some fender flares to the cab ...not perfect but looks cool and with body cut out gives more tire clearance .

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:16 AM   #559
Go Buckeyes!

Finally had decent weather and got my first run in this year. It was a little muddy and windy, but had a great time.
Attached Images

B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #560
RCC Addict

I love the look of that sport body B-MOW, I may have to do something with mine when I get it, plan to run the 67 C10 body but I may paint this up as well and swap occasionally.

What did you do to your TRX-4 today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM