Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2019, 11:56 PM   #921

Default Re: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
and while I was in there I added OD/UD gears and man, it was like a whole new truck today. I love it again!
Man, I really want to try the od/ud..I keep looking to find off brand gears, but can't seem to find them. 40 bucks per pair is just too rich for my blood. I'm planningon under driving the rear at least tho. I've seen some crazy videos of what this truck can do..with the right mods.
Exalted85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2019, 12:05 AM   #922
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exalted85 View Post
Man, I really want to try the od/ud..I keep looking to find off brand gears, but can't seem to find them. 40 bucks per pair is just too rich for my blood. I'm planningon under driving the rear at least tho. I've seen some crazy videos of what this truck can do..with the right mods.
I hear ya, I at least waited til I found a 10% off coupon on ebay, so it was time. If you can manage it, it's an awesome upgrade.

Last edited by punkindrublik; 08-11-2019 at 12:08 AM.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #923
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exalted85 View Post

I run my truck with just UD. I tried OD/UD and didn't really like it. IMO, the only reason to do OD/UD is to increase the turning radius and stop the scrub steering when at steering lock.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #924
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Friend and I took our X4's to a fairly large local comp and showed what a stock chassis X4 could do against the custom chassis and Vanquish VS4-10 Pro trucks.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #925
Quarry Creeper

Added some brass and a new bumper plus winch to my second TRX 4 ...at 10lbs now ,also running Mamba X 3800kv 9/45 setup works quite well but think gone go down in kV like my other TRX and run 2280kv motor .

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #926
Quarry Creeper

New rear bumper is sweet

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #927
Quarry Creeper

Trx4 new front bumper from scalerfab. Install tomorrow after work.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #928
Quarry Creeper

Old bumper new scalerfab bumper. Kept the crossmember/front bumper mount for a really silly but simple way to wire the light bar and servo winch when i get around to them which is why i originally cut that small section of the body. Might switch the rear crossmember that's up front for the stock one or get rid of it completely but that is it for tonight.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #929
Quarry Creeper

Swapped to a 45T spur and 12T pinion this am on my Sport. I did buy a 9T as well but figured the 45/12 was already a solid reduction over the 39/17. Flying to Houston for work so I havent had a chance to try it.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #930
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Swapped to a 45T spur and 12T pinion this am on my Sport. I did buy a 9T as well but figured the 45/12 was already a solid reduction over the 39/17. Flying to Houston for work so I havent had a chance to try it.

I did the same but found the 12/45 just wasn’t slow enough for my rocky terrain so I installed a 9T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GForceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #931
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceSS View Post
I did the same but found the 12/45 just wasn’t slow enough for my rocky terrain so I installed a 9T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove it around my yard today and i was expecting more dramatic difference. Its there, just not as much as i thought.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #932
JC3
Quarry Creeper

My friend and I took our X4's to a local comp and placed 1st and 2nd. Again! lol
Old 08-25-2019, 10:10 PM   #933
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
My friend and I took our X4's to a local comp and placed 1st and 2nd. Again! lol

Must be that insanely high center of gravity from the portal axles ;)
Old 08-26-2019, 05:32 AM   #934
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Must be that insanely high center of gravity from the portal axles ;)
Yeah, we could have done better but the extra clearance from those damn portal axles really held us back. Said nobody ever! lol
Old 08-26-2019, 06:00 AM   #935
RCC Addict

Quote:

Do people get pissed when they get beat by a X4? I know it was that way when I raced short course trucks and a Slash won.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:14 AM   #936
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Do people get pissed when they get beat by a X4? I know it was that way when I raced short course trucks and a Slash won.
No, I don't think they get pissed because the mood is all about having fun. We don't go there with any kind of attitude or anything. We all laugh, kid around, and encourage each other no matter what the truck. What I see the most is that guys with heavily modified trucks often seem disappointed when they, or their trucks, don't perform well.

Last edited by JC3; 08-26-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:39 AM   #937
RCC Addict

Quote:
No, I don't think they get pissed because the mood is all about having fun. We don't go there with any kind of attitude or anything. We all laugh, kid around, and encourage each other no matter what the truck. What I see the most is that guys with heavily modified trucks often seem disappointed when they, or their trucks, don't perform well.
That's cool. One of the reasons I stopped racing is it was kind of tense and contentious. It just wasn't that fun and honestly quite boring. You sat around and waited more than you raced. There were a few guys there to have fun, but the rest.....forget it. Short course was dirty racing and my Slash was the prime target. They figured if they took me out, they couldn't lose to me. LOL.....wussies!

I love crawling because you can carry on a conversation while you're driving and just have a good time. Nobody makes fun of your truck and everyone is cool. It's not competitive at all.

I'm selling off all of my race vehicles to fund my crawling habit!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #938
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That's cool. One of the reasons I stopped racing is it was kind of tense and contentious. It just wasn't that fun and honestly quite boring. You sat around and waited more than you raced. There were a few guys there to have fun, but the rest.....forget it. Short course was dirty racing and my Slash was the prime target. They figured if they took me out, they couldn't lose to me. LOL.....wussies!

I love crawling because you can carry on a conversation while you're driving and just have a good time. Nobody makes fun of your truck and everyone is cool. It's not competitive at all.

I'm selling off all of my race vehicles to fund my crawling habit!

A couple of my racing friends have told me the same story about the dirt guys. While the racing is fun, the crowd can sometimes ruin it. They gave up dirt racing and now race touring cars on carpet. 5 of my friends and I run touring cars on carpet for 6 months of the year. The touring car crowd is competitive but still remains fun. Sure, you have the occasional asshole that thinks he's gonna win Nationals if only he can get past the locals. lol Now that I've been crawling, I hope to be able to do it year round because I'm really enjoying it.

Regarding this weird anti-Traxxas bias, it only seems to show up in certain places. Mainly I see it online with those clowns Harley and SBG. To me, it's plainly obvious that it's not so much the TRX4 that they don't like, but the 'TRX4 people.' Then there are the folks that are just, for some bizarre reason, anti portal. Recently we were talking to a guy with a new Element truck. Somehow a challenge came up and he said that his new Element could "do anything our X4's could do." After we showed him that that wasn't in fact the case, he actually said, "Well, still, I just don't like portal axles." WTF!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #939
RCC Addict

Quote:
A couple of my racing friends have told me the same story about the dirt guys. While the racing is fun, the crowd can sometimes ruin it. They gave up dirt racing and now race touring cars on carpet. 5 of my friends and I run touring cars on carpet for 6 months of the year. The touring car crowd is competitive but still remains fun. Sure, you have the occasional asshole that thinks he's gonna win Nationals if only he can get past the locals. lol Now that I've been crawling, I hope to be able to do it year round because I'm really enjoying it.

Regarding this weird anti-Traxxas bias, it only seems to show up in certain places. Mainly I see it online with those clowns Harley and SBG. To me, it's plainly obvious that it's not so much the TRX4 that they don't like, but the 'TRX4 people.' Then there are the folks that are just, for some bizarre reason, anti portal. Recently we were talking to a guy with a new Element truck. Somehow a challenge came up and he said that his new Element could "do anything our X4's could do." After we showed him that that wasn't in fact the case, he actually said, "Well, still, I just don't like portal axles." WTF!
I didn't realize that the Harley dude and SBG were not liking Traxxas people. It was the same way at my local track. Traxxas was taboo. So they are judging people based on the truck they drive? That's lame.

Did the guy with the Element ever say why he didn't like portals? I know people get on the kick of higher COG, but that seems like it can be fixed.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:53 AM   #940
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I didn't realize that the Harley dude and SBG were not liking Traxxas people. It was the same way at my local track. Traxxas was taboo. So they are judging people based on the truck they drive? That's lame.

Did the guy with the Element ever say why he didn't like portals? I know people get on the kick of higher COG, but that seems like it can be fixed.
Well, that's my personal take on Harley and SBG, they seem rather arrogant and dismissive. I don't like that. If you watch their series on the X4 it shows through pretty clearly I think. SBG did a portal delete, added a ton of weight up high, and a clown car paint job then proclaimed it "better." lol He said that he knew the delete would be controversial but that "trust me, it's better." As if to say that he knows best.

No, even though our portal-axle-high-CG trucks clearly outperformed his he maintained only that he didn't "like" them. Makes no sense.

What did you do to your TRX-4 today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM