Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #1061
Rock Stacker

Default Re: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

Added some lines and paint wear to the body...think it turned out pretty good

Always a challenge to get lexan bodies looking decent/good... did some sanding and painting on the inside of shell. Brush painted with acrylic paint which works great for touch ups and adding color/rust etc. without having to spray and mask.

I use Scotch foam mounting tape as a ruler to draw lines on the outside the body with a thin sharpie, works great! Also after spraying the inside of the lexan body I did a lot of the line work on the inside of the body by sanding the paint off the raised edges and then go over them with a sharpie.
RustyTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #1062
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTaco View Post
Got a couple 2000mah batteries, moved the battery up front and velcroed it to the servo, zip tied the radio to the other side of the front mount to make room for the battery. removed old battery tray.

close up of battery and velcro

Cant really tell in the pic but extended the wheelbase from 312mm to 324mm and put in Pro-line dual stage foam in the rear tires

Crawled at a spot I was at the previous day to gauge the differences and was blown away at what a improvement these mods made...I like steep technical rock climbing and its amazing how capable this rig is, cleared a bunch of lines I couldnt get the day before!

What kind of velcro? I tried a few kinds at my local ACE hardware and they all suck.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #1063
Rock Stacker

Velcro brand industrial strength (10lbs) ...haven't had any issues with the battery coming loose.

Make sure you press and wigggle the battery a little bit to get a good connection with the velcro.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #1064

Installed Axial light bar, removed center light and mounted on the back as a work light, brought the front bumper closer to the body, tried the modded Canyon Trails (impressed!), swapped the headlights leds whith whiter and powerful ones, tweaked the new Hobbywing 1080. Satisfied!

RCPawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #1065
Quarry Creeper

Default What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

Finished the main build. Just waiting for my electronics to come in tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by aqualungs; 10-26-2019 at 08:04 AM.
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #1066
Rock Stacker

aqualungs, good grief bro those pics aren't even scale. downsize yer photos please.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #1067
Pebble Pounder

@aqualungs looking great bro...that green and black scheme came out really nice!
toys222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #1068
I wanna be Dave

I'm digg'n your distressed body RustyTaco!

aqualungs, from what I can see, your rig turned out great, but it's hard to get an overview because the pics are so dang large - I swear I had to scroll across for 10 seconds!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #1069
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I'm digg'n your distressed body RustyTaco!

aqualungs, from what I can see, your rig turned out great, but it's hard to get an overview because the pics are so dang large - I swear I had to scroll across for 10 seconds!

Oh nooo! Sorry guys. I used Tapatalk and never have issues on other sites. I wonder if my thread is the same.
It looks fine on Tapatalk. Maybe I can fix them?

Old 10-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #1070
I wanna be Dave

I got the scale winch installed, and working on getting the interior and driver painted up for the FJ.

I also through on the knock-off "Choodoos" that everyone is talking about over in the wheel and tire threads. Spooned them on to some G-Made NR01 wheels. They're definitely on the small side, but they look pretty slick on this rig. I actually got to test them for about 5 mins this morning prior to work. They did surprisingly well on the rocks (which were damp), and seemed to hook up pretty well in the dirt. They'll probably be used primarily for trailing though.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #1071
RCC Addict

Good lookin' rigs on this page... love the pics from Rusty Taco.

This post will be a little pic-heavy but hopefully that's okay. We got out yesterday and had an absolute blast! Weather was great and rigs ran problem-free the entire time. Only thing that sent us packing was the setting sun... gotta love those kinds of days.

So... Despite that I've had my Bronco for quite a while now, I had never run the stock Canyon Trail tires until yesterday. Cannot believe how great they did! They're a little firm but they hooked up so well... loose dirt, uphill climbs, sandstone, etc. Had to side-hill the rig in a few places and they just continued to impress. The lugs bit in and the firm sidewall kept the rig planted and stable. I'll definitely be running these tires again.

My buddy still had issues with the sidewalls of his Thornbirds getting wrinkly. Seems to be the rear tires that are having the issue. He'd punch it in reverse to get them straightened out but it kept happening throughout the day. I think that his rig is just damn heavy and that he needs some stiffer foams... idk. Anyway... performance didn't seem to suffer much as he and I both were able to tackle most everything we set out to conquer. His biggest issue is when climbing steep stuff, the rig wants to flip backwards.

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #1072
Pebble Pounder

@mewalsh100 love the FJ! That body was on my top 3 list when I was choosing a body for my TRX-4.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #1073
Pebble Pounder

Replaced my stripped-out stock servo horn with this aluminum black and gold one from Injora.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #1074
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys222 View Post
@mewalsh100 love the FJ! That body was on my top 3 list when I was choosing a body for my TRX-4.

Thanks Bud!

How are you liking that TorqueMaster 550 in the TRX? I've got the 540 in my Barrage/Axial hybrid and freak'n love it!
Old 10-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #1075
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks Bud!

How are you liking that TorqueMaster 550 in the TRX? I've got the 540 in my Barrage/Axial hybrid and freak'n love it!
So far so good. Only got to run very briefly so far, but it's a definite improvement over the stock Titan. Looking forward to some Saturday morning coffee and crawlin!
Old 10-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #1076
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys222 View Post
So far so good. Only got to run very briefly so far, but it's a definite improvement over the stock Titan. Looking forward to some Saturday morning coffee and crawlin!

Nice I was looking at the Torquemaster and Trailmaster. I have the Titan but want a little better.
Fixed the scale of my pics from my last post. Looks like with Tapatalk if you select multiple pic uploads you can’t select image size. So the only route for now is upload 1 at a time.
Had some setbacks yesterday, but finally got out before the sun went down. No cool rock pic or scenery like some of you have but at least got to test out the flex and minor capabilities.
I added the rubber inner fender extensions and they are coming off. They rub too much and are heavy. I think the best bet for the sport is to get the regular inner fenders and trim them, because they’re much lighter and you keep that 3 to 4 mm of wheel well clearance.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #1077
Quarry Creeper

Default What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

Got my Dremel out and fixed my approach and departure angles by pushing the bumper is all the way in. Going to add a front bumper mount in the rear. Also added Savox 1210SG

Last edited by aqualungs; 10-26-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:21 AM   #1078
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
Got my Dremel out and fixed my approach and departure angles by pushing the bumper is all the way in. Going to add a front bumper mount in the rear. Also added Savox 1210SG
Did you flip your bumper mounts yet? Gives you a good bit more approach and departure. It does require some trimming of the body though.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #1079
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Did you flip your bumper mounts yet? Gives you a good bit more approach and departure. It does require some trimming of the body though.

The front is flipped and trimmed, and just need to buy a front mount for the rear and yea looks like I’ll be body trimming. My Lexan scissors are ready!

Old 10-27-2019, 06:18 AM   #1080
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
The front is flipped and trimmed, and just need to buy a front mount for the rear and yea looks like I’ll be body trimming. My Lexan scissors are ready!

10-4. Rig looks great btw! I like that forest green color you went with.

What did you do to your TRX-4 today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM