RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   What did you do to your TRX-4 today? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/600538-what-did-you-do-your-trx-4-today.html)

CarlC 12-01-2019 03:33 PM

Re: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mass-hole (Post 5980504)
Are those the GRC hub weights? Do they fit the stock wheels fine?

No those are Fastrax weighted portal covers. They fit the standard axles but I had trouble with some aftermarket aluminum axle housings.

CarlC 12-02-2019 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fitted the cage to the cab and did a lot more body trimming. I think I am getting there. It's all a bit scary being my first every body shell build.......
Comments and advice warmly received.

mgputer 12-02-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlC (Post 5980844)
Fitted the cage to the cab and did a lot more body trimming. I think I am getting there. It's all a bit scary being my first every body shell build.......

Looks good so far. Can't wait to see if it painted.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk

high plains drifter 12-03-2019 03:29 AM

Been doing some small stuff to my d110 lately. I like the "minimalist" route that I've been going with this rig but every time that I look at it, I feel like it really needs some more accessories.

> Added some RC4WD KC lights on the front bumper. These lights are horrible to work with and they're pretty fragile but they look decent and they're not going to get used on anything else so why not? I had to drill a couple of two-stage holes in from the bottom in order to hide the cap-head screws that hold the brackets on. Drill press made quick work of this. I also decided to cut off the yellow tabs that snap the covers onto the buckets. I instead opted to e6000 the covers on since these are non-functioning lights. I also ran wires out the backs of the lights for added realism. They came out good. Was a tight fit... very close to the grille but they fit!

> I also decided to put the original snorkel back on. I had removed it long ago but with some sanding of the mould lines, it looks okay. Heavy little piece of rubberized plastic but the rig is pretty light up top so not a big concern. For the air intake at the top of the snorkel I used a 5/8" wide zip-tie ( BIG SOB!) and ran a silver paint-pen down the "ribs" to create the look of a metal intake cover. Then finished it up by using the silver all the way around after cutting it to fit the shape of the intake tube. Applied it onto the snorkel with dbl-sided tape. Looks legit imo.

> To finish off the front, I pulled off the oem DEFENDER hood sticker and instead laid down some raised chrome lettering. Came out nice.

https://i.postimg.cc/MKVCLVcN/IMG-0002.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/66Y2v45s/IMG-0006.jpg

> For the rear I decided to also apply some more chrome LAND ROVER letters across the top. It really needed this imo.

> I also added a rear spotlight on the drivers side. It probably won't last long but so far so good. I used chrome paint on the inside of the light with a plastic faux reflective diamond to simulate a bulb. Came out alright. I will say that the three microscopic screws that hold this light on were made by the devil to intentionally make people go insane.

> To finish off the rear I decided to fabricate a shackle mount that inserts into the receiver hitch and attach an aluminum shackle.

https://i.postimg.cc/1zvhHSgz/IMG-0003.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/0yDJb8th/IMG-0034.jpg

Oh... and a little unintentional sidewall-flex pic for good measure...

https://i.postimg.cc/5NqXVP6M/IMG-0022.jpg

dr frankenstyle 12-03-2019 03:43 PM

DANG hpd, that log just about gave 'er a flat! :) The new details look GREAT!! Pretty slick snorkel treatment. "thumbsup" And those KC's take me back. I like what you did with them, looks legit'. It's funny how much difference a few little details will make. It's tough to tell what scale it is. ;-) Rover's lookin' GOOD!

8) jim

high plains drifter 12-03-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle (Post 5981133)
DANG hpd, that log just about gave 'er a flat! :) The new details look GREAT!! Pretty slick snorkel treatment. "thumbsup" And those KC's take me back. I like what you did with them, looks legit'. It's funny how much difference a few little details will make. It's tough to tell what scale it is. ;-) Rover's lookin' GOOD!

8) jim

Thanks so much, Jim! That was one tough section... surprised I made it through unscathed. Thought for sure that sidewall was a goner lol. Absolutely agree... sometimes those small details can really make a notable difference. Much appreciate the kind words.

gfmucci 12-04-2019 09:41 AM

This is what I was wondering about for the past few days: Does any one know why Land Rover isn't spelled Land Rova. That's the way the Brits say it, so why don't they just save a letter and spell it Rova?

MaX-D 12-04-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfmucci (Post 5981290)
Does any one know why Land Rover isn't spelled Land Rova. That's the way the Brits say it, so why don't they just save a letter and spell it Rova?

I've wondered this very thing myself.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

AnimalHippie 12-05-2019 03:52 PM

Took the wheel off to get some moss out from behind it to find this.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f8a73c9d90.jpg

Good times! Any suggestions on good replacements?

MaX-D 12-05-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHippie (Post 5981607)

Oh snap! Literally.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Panther6834 12-05-2019 04:09 PM

Better the hex, than the axle stub. Had a CVD axle stub snap on my Rustler 4x4, right where the pin goes through the stub. Thankfully, Traxxas shipped me, free, a new stub (the axle was less than 2 months old).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Topher Builds 12-05-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHippie (Post 5981607)

Depending on the hex on the wheels you run, I really like the ssd trx4 hexes. They have a lip that fits into the recess on their wheels and helps get rid of some slop.

PARTS FOR TRX-412mm Aluminum Hex Set for TRX-4

Otherwise, I’ve used a samix hexes on a few rigs and haven’t had any issues with those. They have brass and aluminum in various widths available for the trx4.

AnimalHippie 12-06-2019 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaX-D (Post 5981608)
Oh snap! Literally

Yessir! Not quite sure what did it, but I know it has allot of torque. Maybe when I had it in a bind the last time out. If it wasn't for the moss I wouldn't have found it for awhile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther6834 (Post 5981612)
Better the hex, than the axle stub. Had a CVD axle stub snap on my Rustler 4x4, right where the pin goes through the stub. Thankfully, Traxxas shipped me, free, a new stub (the axle was less than 2 months old).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Yes, much rather have the hex snap. Now to find some funds for some before my NC trip for Christmas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher Builds (Post 5981625)
Depending on the hex on the wheels you run, I really like the ssd trx4 hexes. They have a lip that fits into the recess on their wheels and helps get rid of some slop.

PARTS FOR TRX-412mm Aluminum Hex Set for TRX-4

Otherwise, I’ve used a samix hexes on a few rigs and haven’t had any issues with those. They have brass and aluminum in various widths available for the trx4.

Thanks brother! I think I will grab some of those. I like SSD products. That little lip slides into the ring just past the hex on the hub? I think the wheels I have will fit it. They are SSD D hole. I was thinking about some brass ones, but at the same time I don't think my rig needs anymore weight.

Topher Builds 12-06-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHippie (Post 5981720)
That little lip slides into the ring just past the hex on the hub? I think the wheels I have will fit it. They are SSD D hole

Exactly "thumbsup"

svt923 12-06-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Yes, much rather have the hex snap. Now to find some funds for some before my NC trip for Christmas.

Where in NC are you headed?

If you are going to be in the Raleigh area (AKA the best part of NC), I have an extra set of stock hexes and personal tour of the best crawling spot available. "thumbsup"

AnimalHippie 12-06-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5981754)
Where in NC are you headed?

If you are going to be in the Raleigh area (AKA the best part of NC), I have an extra set of stock hexes and personal tour of the best crawling spot available. "thumbsup"

We will be in the Asheville area for the week. Craft brewing, eclectic food and beautiful mountains has drawn is towards there for years. Now we get to go. Raleigh is a bit of a drive from where we'll be. Thanks for the offer and the invite!

Exiwolfman 12-06-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Yessir! Not quite sure what did it, but I know it has allot of torque. Maybe when I had it in a bind the last time out. If it wasn't for the moss I wouldn't have found it for awhile.

Thanks brother! I think I will grab some of those. I like SSD products. That little lip slides into the ring just past the hex on the hub? I think the wheels I have will fit it. They are SSD D hole. I was thinking about some brass ones, but at the same time I don't think my rig needs anymore weight.

This happened to mine and I find what does it is if one over tightens the pin that slides through the hex on axle ,it actually will split it in half .
I have since switched to brass style hex and no issues.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

M and M 12-07-2019 06:58 AM

The original Rover emblem was a Viking longboat..sea rover? Rover is a word..Rova is, to my knowledge, not a word? I cant think of anyone I know personally who pronounce it as you say, but then I'm Welsh and we are fussy about pronunciation...just look at our language to see why !! Regional accents are as varied here as there, sometimes down to 10 miles or less. What I wonder is why most of US say " sodder" when its spelt "so L der" and " alu min um" when its spelt " alumin I um". I feel we should celebrate is our differences, its how we evolve. Dioch yn fawr.

mewalsh100 12-16-2019 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlC (Post 5980844)

Looking good CarlC. The devil is in the details with body trimming, fitment and paint. The key is patience and taking your time. I always go by the adage that is a lot easier to go back and trim a bit more than to put a big chunk back! Nice Square body btw!"thumbsup"

CarlC 12-19-2019 01:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally has time to get the airbrush out and paint the cab for the new build on my TRX-4. Only the second time I have painted a lexan body and the first time doing multiple colours. Also painted the grill and I am not a fan of the grill stickers Proline supply. This is a cab from a Proline 1978 K-10. Its not perfect but I am happy-ish as it is my first attempt at masking a bodyshell. Learnt a lot too. Windows detailing tomorrow and then final assembly on Saturday.