Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2020, 06:33 AM   #1481
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

When crawling the technical stuff..I used to stop and grab the edge of a rock or log and work my line. Now it goes where I point it without much resistance. The front end rarely drifts left or right anymore.
It’s nice to have a shaded course. SinceI had to make mine...I picked the woods side of my property.
I have a slide out bin for a no flat spot tire storage. I Placed some rods thru the sides with handles high enough to keep the spare tires off the bottom ..preventing flat spots. For tires without wheels...I hollowed out wooden dowels for support. If I go somewhere...it is handy to have with spare batteries and a tool kit also inside.
Attached Images

Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #1482
Rock Crawler

That’s a great idea Jeff!

I just have my spares stacked on their sides and I keep the rig stored on a foam work block.

The flat spotting occurs when stood on edge or mounted on the rig resting on a surface correct?

The shade is nice and I’m fortunate to have some. The afternoon sun is hot on the front wall. That starts to get better early-mid evening along with the shop wall.

The lower wall is shaded majority of the day and rear wall starts early-mid afternoon.

Not sweating and baking in the sun helps keep frustration levels down when things aren’t going great.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:25 AM   #1483
Pebble Pounder

Yes..I have seen tires stored with real bad flat spots. Plus I do not have to rummage thru my cardboard box of parts.
I found the exact scale I have just now on EBay.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #1484
Rock Crawler

Default What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6x6 View Post
Yes..I have seen tires stored with real bad flat spots. Plus I do not have to rummage thru my cardboard box of parts.
I found the exact scale I have just now on EBay.

Thanks for the heads up on the scale Jeff!!!
————————-
ETA - I didn’t realize this was a book. Sorry

For the Tl;dr crowd (I don’t blame you on this one)

J Concepts Landmines aren’t doing great on the rocks where I live. Possibly foam related due to, IMO, too small and soft foams but feel it’s mainly the tire

Grooved canyon trails on stock rims and foams did exceptionally well.

Predator hyraxes did excellent. Very sure footed and confident even on slick rocks

Landmines successfully made 2 lines that other 2 couldn’t. I attribute this to the foams and pretty sure not the tire

————————-

Gorgeous day today! High 60s - low 70’s so perfect day to play.

Today wound up being tire comparison day. I even went through 2 battery packs. They’re only 1500mah but that’s a record for me.

I started off re-trying the Landmines and CI 4.5” foams.

I ran on the front wall by house

And wall by the shop.

Truck did ok on the smaller rocks by the house. Some sliding but not bad and a lot of that sliding was when the tires were folded over.

At the end of the house wall, I was eyeballing an interesting vertical line that I’ve never done.
2nd time up I nailed it. I was floored because the tires weren’t exactly performing awesome.
Shot it 2.5x (altered the course after the chute and went in a crack, so .5 ) more times and deciding it was time for the shop wall.

Things didn’t go as well on the big rocks by the shop. A lot of pushing when turning and slipping. I still completed left to right run without flopping off but it wasn’t pretty.

One part is a big gap transition between rocks. I’ve never made that. I nosed down, contacted ground with upslope wheel and drove forward to next rock. I feel this was all foams. They’re so soft and crushed down so much that the downslope wheel contacted also, instead of one weighted wheel hanging in the air and gravity taking over.

Now on the return run I started after the gap. I could not make it up the next rock. I tried for 10 minutes. Spinning, sliding and flopping. Couldn’t make it. I ran my hand on the rock and it’s slick like the red one from yesterday.

By now my wheels are turning. Time for the grooved canyon trails.

Reran everything. The modded canyon trails were more sure footed and stable. No where near as much slipping and little if any folding.

Now, that being said, the vertical line at the end of the house wall........no way in hell I could make it. I mean I couldn’t even get into the narrowing chute. I laughed.

Onto the big shop rocks. Did just fine. Some pushing but also no where near as bad.

The gap, I totally flopped as usual even trying different approaches.

Finished the run and turned the truck around after the gap.

The big slick rock, I made it. Some spinning and sliding but got on top.

Rest of the run was uneventful.

Now it’s time for the Hyraxes.

Did well as expected. Planted and sure footed.
Traction not an issue.

The new vertical Line at the end.....nope. Nope. Nope. Same as CT’s. Again I laughed.

Now I’m convinced this is all foams doing this.

Up to the shop rocks.

Zero issues. Even went took some deeper down then up lines on the sloped rocks with full confidence.

The gap.....flopped it. Not surprised.

The big slippery rock, wasn’t even an issue. Actually I never realized it was an issue until I tried the other tires.

So that was my experience.

More playing...I mean testing....when the 4.7” CI foams show up.

From now on, I’m sticking with Predator compound for the rocks in my area.

Even more impressed now with the grooved Canyon Trails with stock rims and foams.

Great day!

Last edited by Benp; 08-02-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #1485
Pebble Pounder

I do not believe there is one foam that will work for all tires. There are too many variables...truck weight,tire softness,battery size, wheel size,wheel weights...etc. My best tire combo as you know... is the 1.9 Traxxas Canyons modified on custom foams and 2.2 wheels. I have no doubt you will find your best combo soon. Are you able to order foams by hardness or just by trying different brands till one works ?
Old 08-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #1486
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I do not believe there is one foam that will work for all tires. There are too many variables...truck weight,tire softness,battery size, wheel size,wheel weights...etc. My best tire combo as you know... is the 1.9 Traxxas Canyons modified on custom foams and 2.2 wheels. I have no doubt you will find your best combo soon. Are you able to order foams by hardness or just by trying different brands till one works ?

This time I used crawler innovations foam calculator. Takes tire size and rig weight into consideration.

It came up with 4.7” foams with medium outer front and firm outers rear. So that’s what I’m waiting on. I also ordered 4.5” firm outers for what I currently have, so fronts can be
Medium and rears firm.

I initially first ordered 4.5” foams with front soft outers and rear medium outers just based on the foams description. That’s what is in there now.

I’m going to try the 4.5” Med/firm with the CTs and steel rims. I think that should be good since the stock tires are smaller than the hyraxes and Landmines.

I’m not too worried.

If I get the 4.7’s in and I’m still sliding and pushing, I’ll just set them aside for now or try them in the hyraxes.

Last edited by Benp; 08-03-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:31 AM   #1487
Rock Stacker

I ordered a Quicrun 1080, HH TrailMaster 27t and some shock oil to try
Nelanzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:06 PM   #1488
Pebble Pounder

Just got the quicrun ESC . There is a great YouTube vid that suggest and explains all 15 modes . Another one tells you how to set the forward and reverse. I had to strip back some insulation on the leads to the battery for accesaries and solder an extra plug. Also look into how you want to terminate to the motor. Solder or quick plugs. I am just ordering female bullet connectors to match the factory so I do not destroy the XL5 Traxxas ESC or original motor. Holmes Hobbies uses/has high quality bullet connectors.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #1489
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Just got the quicrun ESC . There is a great YouTube vid that suggest and explains all 15 modes . Another one tells you how to set the forward and reverse. I had to strip back some insulation on the leads to the battery for accesaries and solder an extra plug. Also look into how you want to terminate to the motor. Solder or quick plugs. I am just ordering female bullet connectors to match the factory so I do not destroy the XL5 Traxxas ESC or original motor. Holmes Hobbies uses/has high quality bullet connectors.

You should really like the new esc Jeff! Lots of adjustability.

I’m sure you’re aware that the stock bullets are 3.5mm and the HH are 4mm but thought I’d mention.

My initial plan was to switch over the stock motor and HW 1080 to 4mm bullets but never happened.

————

As usual I keep messing around.

Ordered a brand new takeoff sport transmission from the trax version. Comes with 45t spur installed as well.

My plan is to tear it down and remove the rubber bearing seals on all the bearings that are not contacting the outside. This is supposed to free up the trans a bit. Also make sure both outputs are phased. I’ll then swap that in for current transmission and do the same. Hopefully phasing the outputs will take care of my ticking.

I should probably review the video of shimming the trans for the ticking and have some of those on hand as well.

The 4.7” CI foams for the Landmines showed up Monday.

Started in on them that evening. I spent an hour going back and forth with the first one Debating tuning ring/no tuning ring. Also I was comparing it to the hyrax regarding squish and then grip when squished down.

I settled on no tuning ring since with them was just like the hyraxes with prolines. Figured might as well have a difference.

Did the rest yesterday and tried it out. There was an improvement. Now performance is closer to the grooved CTs.

Couldn’t shoot that new line. I’ve come to the conclusion that it needs softer foams in the rear allowing the rig to settle instead of standing up. Or more weight up front.

I’ll re-tear down the Landmines, add the tuning rings and build up the CTs also at some point. I’m a little tired of messing with tires for a bit.

Saw the neighbor last night and asked him about the rocks. They are all from when the basement was dug for the house.

Majority is granite. The slippery ones to the touch are granite. Some quartz mixed in as well.

I thought that was cool.

Last edited by Benp; 08-05-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:48 PM   #1490
Pebble Pounder

I love the option of giving the servo 7.4 if it can handle it which mine can over the 6 volt. Like we discussed...I like to add one part at a time. Picking up some female bullet connectors to temporary solder to the new ESC. I want to feel the difference of each part added and not install everything at once. Will give it a good run before adding another part. Getting ready for the H H Torquesmaster Pro 21T which I will solder directly. I don’t believe it comes with wires. Bought from an EBay company stocking John’s motors when he is out and free shipping. Have the 9T pinion if needed. Question ...Traxxas has Zero timing so it will rev higher in reverse in stock form. YouTube video shows advancing HH motors 6 to 12 degrees which lets the motor rev higher forward than reverse. In the video one can clearly Hear the power difference. Is there anything wrong with that ? I will check the rotation before soldering the TorqueMaster.
Glad your getting closer BenP...sounds like you have the persistence and patience needed to dial your truck in.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #1491
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I love the option of giving the servo 7.4 if it can handle it which mine can over the 6 volt. Like we discussed...I like to add one part at a time. Picking up some female bullet connectors to temporary solder to the new ESC. I want to feel the difference of each part added and not install everything at once. Will give it a good run before adding another part. Getting ready for the H H Torquesmaster Pro 21T which I will solder directly. I don’t believe it comes with wires. Bought from an EBay company stocking John’s motors when he is out and free shipping. Have the 9T pinion if needed. Question ...Traxxas has Zero timing so it will rev higher in reverse in stock form. YouTube video shows advancing HH motors 6 to 12 degrees which lets the motor rev higher forward than reverse. In the video one can clearly Hear the power difference. Is there anything wrong with that ? I will check the rotation before soldering the TorqueMaster.
Glad your getting closer BenP...sounds like you have the persistence and patience needed to dial your truck in.

Sweet Jeff!!

A little more juice to the servo is good.

HH has that motor in stock now.

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...o-550-21t.html

Plus when ordering direct you can get leads installed, timing and rotation addressed.

Just for future reference I’d be very Leary buying H H products off eBay. He mentioned this in one of his recent videos about fakes out there. Unless it was already was a trusted vendor.

I’ve only ordered directly from him.

Timing is discussed in his blog and says 6-12 degrees is good for brush life.

https://blog.holmeshobbies.com/holme...tion-and-care/

Can always email them with questions just to be 100%.

I agree on with adding minimal upgrades at time to see the differences.

I really like the 9/45 gearing and don’t see myself changing. I don’t do picturesque trailing so slow is fine. If I did go, ultimately get to a sweet crawling end point , there’s 2 carry handles on the truck.

I think that gearing would be great on a 2 speed.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #1492
Pebble Pounder

Good info...thank you. Very funny now that I’m looking at the seller...Super Shafty !....makes me wonder now �� I think I got lucky with the seller. He has sold many HH motors in the last 12 months with great reviews. The day I went to HH website...most items were not available. So how often can one expect to find an item back in stock ?
Attached Images

Last edited by Jeff6x6; 08-05-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:01 PM   #1493
Rock Crawler

Oh no!!

Supershafty is good to go!!!!

You’re set!

ETA - zero clue on next availability for products.

He sometimes gives a heads up when products might be in stock on Facebook.

If it’s a popular item, ie the shv500v3 servo, was out in less than an hour of me figuring out they’re in stock.

The email notifications are hit or miss. If you’re wanting certain products, create an account, add the items you want to wishlist and check multiple multiple times a day.

It’s crazy.

Last edited by Benp; 08-05-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:45 AM   #1494
Pebble Pounder

Got the 9T and a 10T pinion gear coming if the HH TorqueMaster pro 550 21T does not meet my needs. Been running the stock TRX-4 controller in default 50/50. Will do the simple recalibrate for 70/30 and see if I like the longer trigger pull.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #1495
Rock Crawler

Like I mentioned before. I really like the 9/45 and actually wish I could go lower. I’ve tried the 11 as well but like the 9/45. I think it’s a no brainer for a 2 speed crawler.

That’s how I have my throttle curve set on the mamba x.

At 70% throttle input , I am at 30% power. I like it and it was an easy transition from stock traxxas esc and radio setup.

———-

My new takeout sport transmission showed up. Absolutely perfect and the outputs are phased correct which is a plus. When I turned the included 45t spur I could hear the grease smush around. So brand new take out was accurate description.

I may throw the new one in, pull the old one and tear into that first.

Supposed to be crappy weekend, so might be good time for truck projects
Old 08-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #1496
Pebble Pounder

I have the orange DX Spectrum 5 still in the box. Going little steps at a time. Will do the 70/30 in it to probably.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:14 AM   #1497
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have the orange DX Spectrum 5 still in the box. Going little steps at a time. Will do the 70/30 in it to probably.

Nice!!!

As I mentioned, the transition for me was very smooth and with the stock traxxas radio as my GT5 came on the slow boat. I feel you could just jump to that right away.

That being said I don’t know if there is a large difference between tuning the radio vs the esc for the same outcome.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #1498
Pebble Pounder

Installed the aluminum motor plate on the HH TorqueMaster Pro. The chart did not help with the bolt placement for me. In fact I read where the chart was too tight to the gears and going one more space was better. Also some stock TRX-4 pinion gears where not adjusted correctly to the center of the spur. Installed the 9T after the drag race with a 11T. Adjusted the motor till it sounded slightly stronger forward than reverse. Waiting for better weather to test. Everything looked well greased from Traxxas. I did see someone with a foam dust guard that slipped over the top of HH motor...will search for one.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:24 AM   #1499
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Installed the aluminum motor plate on the HH TorqueMaster Pro. The chart did not help with the bolt placement for me. In fact I read where the chart was too tight to the gears and going one more space was better. Also some stock TRX-4 pinion gears where not adjusted correctly to the center of the spur. Installed the 9T after the drag race with a 11T. Adjusted the motor till it sounded slightly stronger forward than reverse. Waiting for better weather to test. Everything looked well greased from Traxxas. I did see someone with a foam dust guard that slipped over the top of HH motor...will search for one.

I have the 2 piece aluminum motor mount and have had no issues regarding gear mesh.

I’ve gone by the chart and am on my 3rd motor in this setup. Everything spins smoothly.

Only “issue”, and it’s not even a real issue, is that the Robinson pinions were a little noisier that stock. Stock traxxas pinion and spurs seem quieter.

By adjusting the motor, do you mean the timing? If so, what did you settle at? Notice any adverse effects?

Foam dust guard? Like the aluminum heat sinks that slid over?
Old 08-08-2020, 08:21 AM   #1500
Pebble Pounder

I got the Traxxas labeled 9T. I saw other brands but this looked the best machined and shape. There is a little noise from the truck but I do not know if it is the HH motor or the pinion. The motor I got on eBay did not have the new sticker for advancement. I moved it back and forth listening where the most power was..then backed off a little so reverse would have decent power. The HH motor had 4 holes. I picked two stacked on top of each other. Tried 9T with the 45T slot and did not match the motor hole. Would like to see an install video from someone doing just that with clear closeups. I found two that seemed to work. Placed the spur gear with the Allen facing the motor. Made sure the Allen did not touch the spur gear. Mesh looked good but I could not get a good look with the way it is bolted in. This rig is a beast now. Stops 3/4 up a rock and just sits there. Slow crawl is like slow motion. It crawls so slow that the default motor noise on my sound box does not know the motor is running till 3/8 throttle sometimes....need to recalibrate.
Tried the 70/30 with the stock transmitter. Reverse was not coming back to neutral...had to bump it. Went back to 50/50. I like the instant control. It still has enough range for me to do amazing slow crawls.
Will most likely do a 60/40 with the DX5 Rugged.
I will use HH website for the next purchase.
I checked the foam I make inners from...much denser than stock. How goes the foam battle BenP ?

What did you do to your TRX-4 today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM