Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #1641
RCC Addict

Default Re: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

PFongemie- Those Gear Head wheels look great on that rig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Man, that Ford is gorgeous...

Love the grille, long wheelbase, and the high-rider style - and the Thornbirds just seem to fit the truck perfectly!

And the bed detailing, and all the stuff in that toolbox, just... Wow.
I put a Little Debbie brownie and some pieces of taffy in the toolbox when I had the rig at my house for a few days. I told him that it was a great place for some trail-side snacks. He wasn't impressed lol.

The one thing that we didn't do was to weather the outside of the toolbox. I really pushed for him to do it or maybe paint it with a matte white finish + some rust around the corners and hinges. But in the end he decided not to do either because he felt that the aluminum diamond plate wouldn't take to the weathering pigments/ paint too well. Regardless, I guess it looks okay and he did a good job with the gear and tools inside. Just would've liked to have seen the outside of the box a little more weathered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
That Ford is incredible! I love it!

The mid 70’s split grill Fords are my favorite truck body of all time.

The scale detail is fantastic on that. Absolutely awesome!

-——————

Yesterday I tore the shocks apart and reconfigured them.

I used a medium length light in the shock body and small light in the shaft assembly
Under the piston.

I did my test run with no oil so it was spring only. I just wanted to see if this was even going to work.

Turned out actually pretty decent. Didn’t raise the ride height and the wheel would drop down a lot better than the last configuration.

So I’m going to fill them with oil and go from there.

Truck did awesome going along the top of the 1 rock wall. Looks like a caterpillar moving along the top. Front wheel would drop into a hole and the chassis would stay level.

I’m pleased with how this is turning out even with all of the tinkering involved.

Ive been putting the Landmines through their paces lately and they’re coming around. I’d say comparable to the Hyraxes on my rocks now.

I think I’m going to add some brass to the rear portals to help keep it from flopping so fast in some situations. I’m sure my weight bias is pretty bad since all the weight is in the front and nothing in the rear to help counteract some.
Thanks, Ben. I appreciate it. I absolutely agree on the mid 70's split-grill. As much as I like the way that the '79 Bronco grill looks, it aint got nuthin on that '76... really aggressive styling.

Btw I really like what you've done performance-wise with your Sport. Certainly has a great deal of articulation and those Landmines look awesome.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #1642
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
PFongemie-

Thanks, Ben. I appreciate it. I absolutely agree on the mid 70's split-grill. As much as I like the way that the '79 Bronco grill looks, it aint got nuthin on that '76... really aggressive styling.

Btw I really like what you've done performance-wise with your Sport. Certainly has a great deal of articulation and those Landmines look awesome.
Thanks HPD!!!!

Keep up the awesome work! I love seeing great looking rigs like that

The trx4 has been fun. A lot of tinkering but it’s been neat seeing how each upgrade affects performance.

The Landmines weren’t too swift on my rocks when brand new. Now that they’ve broken in some, their performance has improved.

Still more to tinker with
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #1643

Scratch built a cover for the back half of my “Truggy” - parts bin build. I’m really happy with it so far👍🏻
Attached Images

NightOwlRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:51 PM   #1644
RCC Addict

Crap that looks great ^^^ ! Love that paint and that custom back half is perfection.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:24 PM   #1645
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwlRC View Post
Scratch built a cover for the back half of my “Truggy” - parts bin build. I’m really happy with it so far

Wow. That looks awesome! I may do this to my Bronco if the get the nerve to take the chance and cut the bed off. What’s it built from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:42 AM   #1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Crap that looks great ^^^ ! Love that paint and that custom back half is perfection.
Thanks! Pro line 80s Chevy C 10 body I had sitting around. Painted on the outside with some leftover camel yellow Tamaya PS, some black and some white Duratrax. “Quick and dirty” haha

For the back half is leftover polystyrene. I first made a template from thin cardboard. Traced and cut it out. Then I used the corner of my workbench to form the bends.
I really went into it not giving a crap because it’s a beater body that will see a lot of rocks.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #1647
I wanna be Dave

Default What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

Quote:
Thanks! Pro line 80s Chevy C 10 body I had sitting around. Painted on the outside with some leftover camel yellow Tamaya PS, some black and some white Duratrax. “Quick and dirty” haha

For the back half is leftover polystyrene. I first made a template from thin cardboard. Traced and cut it out. Then I used the corner of my workbench to form the bends.
I really went into it not giving a crap because it’s a beater body that will see a lot of rocks.

Oh, sweet! I may try this with my Bronco!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:51 PM   #1648
Rock Crawler

God dang you guys have some skills.

I love that Nightowl.

Awesome job!!!

I wish I had the talent to create a cab and chassis like that.

——————

Spent some time in Flop Town this evening. The truck ate it a lot in the stretch you see.

Heck, I’ve dumped it at the drop in from where it’s at in the picture.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #1649

Trx4 #2 got some new shoes. Proline BFG mud terrains and Crawler innovations deuces wild foams.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:53 PM   #1650

Let’s try this again... TRX4 #2 got some new shoes. PL BFG and crawler innovations deuces wild foams
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #1651

Holy crap that looks nice. I gotta get building on mine
size does matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #1652

Some of these trx4 build are awesome.
size does matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:34 AM   #1653
Rock Stacker

Mounted the Bowhouse RC servo winch mount and installed the HeyOK 3 position winch controller in a 20KG PowerHD servo, works fantastic
Nelanzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #1654
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Trx4 #2 got some new shoes. Proline BFG mud terrains and Crawler innovations deuces wild foams.

Quote:
Let’s try this again... TRX4 #2 got some new shoes. PL BFG and crawler innovations deuces wild foams

Daggone you’ve got some sweet builds going on.

Which exact deuces wild foams did you use, if you don’t mind me asking? Also, what made you choose those over PL dual stage or lil novas?

Sorry for the questions.

Foams kind of make my head spin a bit, so I’m just really curious.

Again, great looking rigs!!!!!
Old 09-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #1655

Quote:
Daggone you’ve got some sweet builds going on.

Which exact deuces wild foams did you use, if you don’t mind me asking? Also, what made you choose those over PL dual stage or lil novas?

Sorry for the questions.

Foams kind of make my head spin a bit, so I’m just really curious.

Again, great looking rigs!!!!!
Thanks for the kind words! I’m using the heavy duty Deuces Wild for XL sizes. I’m using the CWR-3005 on all four corners, per Ed @ crawler innovations. Definitely reach out to them via their website! Super helpful and theyll tell you what they suggest for your exact tire and truck weight, usage etc.
Our trucks see an occasional creek bed and I wanted something waterproof. I questioned the firmness at first but keep in mind that they soften up as they break in. Now I think they’re perfect. I went with crawler innovations because of the diverse product line and I thought it fit my application the best.

I use qtr inch foam to fill the slight air gap but that’s just preference. Also, I like the way crawler innovations clothes sale fits on the pinch ring in the wheel. The pro lines have a raised ridge or center spline if you will that are made to fit within the recess in the center of their wheels. I know people that use pro line forms on non-pro line wheels and they work great but it’s a preference for me.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #1656
Rock Crawler

Default What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

Thanks!!

I read their in-depth description on the website.

I find the air gap interesting and would be curious to see how it does on my rocks.

I have their lil novas in my Landmines and am pleased with them, even if they are more involved than the prolines in my hyraxes.

Last edited by Benp; 09-29-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:58 AM   #1657
Rock Crawler

Well, the SSD portal brass for the rear showed up.

Got it installed and took it for a test.

Heavily mixed results.

Going across the rocks it did a little better. Still rolled the truck but the rear end fought it better.

Going up was not good.

The extra weight on the rear caused the tires to hook harder which in turn raised the front way up.

To the point of shocks fully extended and the front wheels ratcheting due to front drive line bind.

Did the same when driving on the flat as well. Front end just rose right up.

Oh well.

I’ll get the portal cover bearings ordered from LURC and reinstall the stock covers. There is no way the bearings are coming out of the SSD brass.

In the mean time I’ll throw the stock shocks back on and try that for a while.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:15 AM   #1658
Rock Crawler

Benp, do you have brass portals in the front? I only have brass portal covers on the front.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #1659
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Benp, do you have brass portals in the front? I only have brass portal covers on the front.

I do Gramps. The same SSD’s.

My thought process (which is often in left field) was that when going across some of my rocks and the front end is wanting to roll, the extra weight in the back would fight that.

And it does to a certain extent.

The 110mm shocks aren’t helping matters by any means. I think stock or shorter length would be ok.

That’s why I’m going to throw the stock shocks back on until the bearings show up.

It is always fun experimenting.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #1660
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I do Gramps. The same SSD’s.

My thought process (which is often in left field) was that when going across some of my rocks and the front end is wanting to roll, the extra weight in the back would fight that.

And it does to a certain extent.

The 110mm shocks aren’t helping matters by any means. I think stock or shorter length would be ok.

That’s why I’m going to throw the stock shocks back on until the bearings show up.

It is always fun experimenting.

That's what it's all about, trying things to see if they work. Also what works for one maybe not work for another. I really ran into this on my SCX24. I wonder if the same amount of weight on the front would have a better effect?
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

What did you do to your TRX-4 today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM