Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #1721
Rock Stacker

Default Re: What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

I like spraying 3M super 77 on my tires

WD40 is more of a solvent, cleaner, degreaser then an actual "lubricant." A solvent works to break down the rubber making it "in theory" a little more sticky.

Last edited by RustyTaco; 10-26-2020 at 09:18 PM.
RustyTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2020, 09:21 PM   #1722
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
Do you recommend one sipe cut per lug or two? Also, can you elaborate on the WD40? thx.....
Some people say to remove tires, remove foams, put into sandwich baggie, fill half way with wd-40, and let sit overnight , personally, i just remove tires, remove foams, spray lightly inside the tire, but coat it. Then spray the outside/tread/sidewall thoroughly over a piece of cardboard, or inside an open box...let absorb, repeat, let sit, repeat getting lighter each time with the actual spray, while making sure ive covered at LEAST all of the treaded area of each tire. Let dry/wipe off with clean rag or "dab" off excess...install.

I managed to fit two sipes per lug, woth a dremel cutoff wheel, speed set to 3 on a 1-6 scale. Just make sure the sipes come from one edge of the lug, through to the other edge, if space allows-tool-wise. Heres an example of a different tire, which i managed to fit 3 sipes on most lugs.

R.C. means both;Remote control, and Rock Crawler.
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #1723
I wanna be Dave

Soldered the right connector on a light bar I bought a while back and just got around to using it lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #1724
Rock Stacker

Always thought the power wagon/ flatbeds were pretty cool, so decided to build one up...chopped a bunch of plastic and lexan. Cut the lexan bed to make it a flat bed and mounted some stuff to hide the shock towers/brace a bit.

Sanded inside of cab and painted with some acrylic paint to add texture, rust. Same with bed to add some woodgrain and dirt texture.

Without going full retard scale think it turned out pre good ...I roll and bash my bodies up pretty good to spend weeks painting up a body and detail...think id cry if I were to damage a rig like some of the folks put time into. But its pretty dang cool the detail in some of the rigs out there!

Crawled really good, like seeing the tires on the back and narrow bed. nice low center of gravity too.

and some new SSD white 8 spoke beadlock wheels today...

(can see old wheels in this photo v)

Last edited by RustyTaco; 10-30-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:29 PM   #1725
Rock Stacker

Realized none of the beadlock bolts were tightened ...already lost a couple.

Didn't have anything to do that so made a tool outta a hex bolt and nuts.

probably will need to add some loctite at some point
Old 10-31-2020, 01:40 PM   #1726

Got the blazer some new shoes, and some weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr.Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:47 PM   #1727
Rock Crawler

Default What did you do to your TRX-4 today?

Looks great! I like those rims!

I’ve been very happy with the ssd portal brass like you got.

Last edited by Benp; 10-31-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #1728
Rock Stacker

Really liked how the cut/modded Canyon Trails crawled and thought they deserved to be mounted on a proper wheel...Baked them in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 to unglue them off the stock plastic wheels which worked great! Make sure you elevate the tires off the baking tray/rack or it could potentially melt/burn the rubber...I used the metal spacer ring that sits inside the foams to elevate the tires up off the tray.

Mounted them up to my other Gmade wheels.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #1729
Rock Crawler

Nice!!!!

Did you re-use the stock foams?

I’m a touch hesitant about changing out the stock wheels and foams since they actually do really well for me on my rocks.

I have a bad habit of monkeying with things that already work great and then wrecking it. Lol
Old 11-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #1730
RCC Addict

The stock tires are really underated in my opinion. People are too quick to change them out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:58 PM   #1731
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Nice!!!!

Did you re-use the stock foams?

I’m a touch hesitant about changing out the stock wheels and foams since they actually do really well for me on my rocks.

I have a bad habit of monkeying with things that already work great and then wrecking it. Lol
Yeah I ended up re-useing the stock foams...which I believe are slightly stiffer/better then the white foams that come with proline tires. See how they hold up may get something a little firmer but they crawled good. The white foams that come with proline tires are too soft for the weight of my rig.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:06 PM   #1732
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
The stock tires are really underated in my opinion. People are too quick to change them out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Yeah for sure, especially if you cut/sipe them! Know others have said it already but Traxxas could have one of the better performing crawler tires out there if they produced them like how people are modding them.....Once you mod the tire its a aggressive open lug pattern that hooks up on the rock well. Even if you keep it stock its not a bad tire.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #1733
Rock Crawler

Or use the Trx6 tires. Those seem to do really well stock.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #1734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Looks great! I like those rims!

I’ve been very happy with the ssd portal brass like you got.
These are the China rip off wheels, injora off Amazon. Just adding the ssd outer portals, treal +3 hex and wheel n tires made a huge difference!!! Hit some crawling today and really impressed!

Last edited by Mr.Blazer; 11-01-2020 at 10:00 PM.
Mr.Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:39 PM   #1735
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Great thread idea. Like others, I never started a thread for my TRX4's so this is nice to be able to post pics of mods and actually talk about them... unlike in the TRX4 picture thread where discussions are understandably discouraged.

Anyway... Haven't done anything today but over the last couple weeks I've done a few more upgrades to my Defender TRX4:

Knight Customs 3Dp windshield wipers and lower-front exo-cage tube. Was a lotta work just to get things "right". Tube needed a lot of sand/ paint/ sand/ paint before I was even remotely happy with it. Used Krylon Fusion satin black after the final sanding and although it still has some texture to it, it looks a lot better now and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Wipers obviously don't come with any hardware so you have to find screws small enough to work. I actually had to bend one of the wipers to get it to lay flat against the windshield and lemme say... these things are REALLY thin and flimsy so if you do this mod, just be careful not to break 'em. Final result was I guess worth the effort... Defender looking much more scale with them in place. If I was to do this again I think that I would simply move the original Traxxas tube down lower rather than add the bent Knight Customs tube.

Next up was some Injora cheapie bead-locks. I actually intended for these to go onto my Bronco but had a change of plans. Anyway.. no issues with these wheels and they were only about $50 including some Swamper knock-offs. OD of the tires are small at approx 110mm but I'll use them on something else. The bead-locks really look killer imo... nice machining, great finish, and no issues with mounting some Flat Iron 1.9's. One thing maybe worth noting is that you can't use scale hardware because the wheel face is angled/ not flat... meaning that you can't get a typical nut-driver or wrench in there... Only a standard hex tip will work to secure the bolts.

Added a little "splash" to the rear end by way of license-plate with home-fabbed bracket, cheap-o China alum D-rings, and a third "brake light". I used reflective tape for the brake light which is cool cause it looks like it's actually on when the sun hits it at certain angles. The D-rings look good imo compared to some of the others out there that use a pin that is WAY out of scale. Really happy with these mods.

Next was a Yeah Racing rear chassis brace and front servo mount. Happy with them although the front mount/ brace uses a couple small nuts to secure the servo ears on one side and they are a B!^@H to access! Still though.. much more rigid and nicer looking than the stock plastic parts. One reason that I did this mod was because I also upgraded to a HH SHV500v2 and wanted to make sure that with the xtra torque, things wouldn't get all twisty lol.

I also installed a pair of Yeah Racing diff covers front and rear. Only $11 each and they look much nicer than the Traxxas offerings. Fit and finish are A+... Highly recommend! I also went ahead and painted the fill holes silver just for the heck of it. Sorry for all the dust lol. They look much nicer than what it looks like in the pic.

Onto the front/ rear SSD drive-shafts. They're certainly a good deal heavier than the Traxxas plastic shafts so if you're looking to shave weight, don't get these lol. They seem to be well made... definitely heavy-duty and no issues so far although I think they take a little time to "break in" and get smoother. I went ahead and used a liberal amount of graphite powder to lubricate the telescoping parts as I didn't want them to attract contaminates like grease would have. I picked up a pack of xtra M4 drive-shaft pins just in case one of the pins backs out on the trail but I also used a good deal of thread-lock to assure that doesn't happen. Really happy with these although not something I would consider necessary for a lot of TRX4 owners.

Lastly for this phase was a Hot Racing stainless off-set steering rod. Pretty cheap and although smaller diameter than the Traxxas rod, these seem very strong ( as well as the ends). Tolerance is tighter too so... less slop than OEM. Even with end-points adjusted, I would still slightly rub the diff covers ( the OEM covers fwiw) during full lock drive side. With this new steering-rod there is no contact at all and no binding either. Highly recommend if wanting to get your steering rod away from your diff covers.

I know this is like 2 years ago, but do you remember how you did/where you bought the plate? I tried printing one and it came out super fuzzy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #1736
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTaco View Post
Yeah for sure, especially if you cut/sipe them! Know others have said it already but Traxxas could have one of the better performing crawler tires out there if they produced them like how people are modding them.....Once you mod the tire its a aggressive open lug pattern that hooks up on the rock well. Even if you keep it stock its not a bad tire.

I agree! Or if they just went with the trx6 tires across the board.

And as I’ve said before, it’s an awesome free mod.

Btw - The picture you posted in the no talking picture thread is incredible!!!

Awesome!
Old 11-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #1737
Rock Crawler

Default RCBee Finally got Gearhead Lights Installed

Finally got these bad boys right in time for Daylight Savings Time They are Bright and fully Waterproof ... Buzzzzzzz..... Buzzzzz.....
Attached Images

Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #1738
Rock Crawler

Default Gearhead Lights Video Awesome Lights

these Gearhead lights rock and look great on the Honey Comp Crawler
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:48 AM   #1739
Rock Crawler

So I came up with a hair brained idea of moving the battery totally up front right behind the front bumper.

I figured the extra weight would help keep the front end down.

I ordered up the Traxxas small battery tray to mount up there.

It showed up yesterday, I quickly mounted it and charged up my big 2200 mah pack, figuring more weight the better.

Here is the quick mount job that worked well enough.

Headed out to the rocks aaaaaaaaaaand it did not work worth a lick.

Front still rose up pretty good.

I’m thinking I’m running to heavy weight of shock oil (30wt) even with three hole pistons.

I’m constantly having to push the truck down, which I didn’t have to do with no oil.

So, my next step is to go back to light oil like I originally had with the different springs.

If I am still not happy, then I’m going back to the stock traxxas shocks next season.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #1740

Two speed going in to the Sport :-)

Sent fra min SM-G980F via Tapatalk
hermodfinjord is offline   Reply With Quote

What did you do to your TRX-4 today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM