Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Wet tire foam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Wet tire foam

I took my trx4 in the mud, and water yesterday after monsoon storm. After I was done, I noticed my inside tiresfoam were filled with water. So I removed all 4 tires , and tried to squeezed the water out of each tire, and I let it air dry. Today I,checked , and noticed, der were still some water in it. I was wondering what you guys do after you take your rc in water? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wet tire foam

I seal the vent holes when I'm planning on getting wet.
But after the fact, it's tough to get "all" the water out. You already did about as much as you will be able to do without removing the tires from the rim.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

O okay, thanks. Next time I will do that.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

My stock foams stayed wet even after a couple of weeks after using in the water and performed pathetically on the rocks when wet with the tires bunching up badly. That made me switch to pro-line closed cell foams which aren't affected by water, except for some extra weight in the tire where water fills the gaps. I'm not sure if it was the switch to Pro-line Super Swamper XLs but my rig crawls better now as well.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Seal the vent holes in the rim.

Put vent holes in the tire tread.

Spin the tires as fast you can.

That will fling as much water out as you'll be able to get out. Removing the tires is the only to do better.

Closed cell foams reduce/eliminate this problem or at least the degradation of the foam wile wet.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
RCC Addict

As above...ideally you need a rig much faster than the TRX4 to eject the water. A Brushless vehicle....I used to pop em on my 2wd Slash. :-)
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

O okay thank you very much. Yesterday, I wasn’t able to get to it. But today I’ll take a look at it again.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:11 AM   #8

Red face Re: Wet tire foam

Ok bear whit me, im new to the rock crawling thing, and i just want to know, if i get some bead locks do i still need to vent my tiers. Yea if i want to prevent water geting stock?

I am also thinking of geting the duel stage foam from pro-line and are they water resistent as the cloest foams some of you wher talking about?

Thx for all the answers i can get.
Narocq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I had some tires get wet, stuck them on the heat vent with a plastic bag over it for a week and it dried out nice with out popping off the rims,.
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #10
RCC Addict

A common problem.
Other options...
1. Don't drown them.

But yeah, open cell foams will never dry out in your wheels. And they'll corrode alloys and rust steelies. DAMHIK

So, closed cell foams or drive around the water.

BTW, that water will get in everywhere too - axles, bearings, your motor, EVERYWHERE.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 PM   #11
RCC Addict

FYI, venting tires is NOT a requirement! Venting is strictly a personal preference thing. I vented one set and I will never make that mistake again. BTW, bead lock wheels make tire and foam maintenance much less hassle over glued wheels.

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-31-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

There are a couple schools of thought. As Inspector86 stated though, it really comes down to your preference. I do vent my tires. I'm not a submarine capitain with my rigs, and I don't go out of my way to hit water. Having said that, if you like trailing, you're bound to hit some creek/stream crossings and puddles. The foams ARE going to get wet regardless of whether the tires are vented or not. It's either going to sneak in through the vents in the rims (if they are vented), or get past the bead. With the tires vented, you're at least providing the water and escape path as it will want to squish out of the foams and through these holes as you continue to run.

I've also pulled some baselines with tires over the years. I've mounted the tires un-vented and run them to check performance completely unmodified in any way. (Most recently with some RC4WD Compass's) All things being equal, when I have vented the tire, I've seen marked gains in performance through increased footprint and "spread" of the tire. You're basically allowing any air in the tire to move in and out allowing the tire to breathe and thereby allow the foams to do their job. You can however achieve the same effect without venting your tires, providing the rims themselves are vented. Either way, in my experience, I've definitely found it best to allow this breathing of the tires. Just my .02 pesos
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I pretty much always vent tires now. I tried a before and after test by gluing the holes shut and it may have been one of the biggest increases in performance that I've seen. the vented tire can really conform and flex around the rock, giving a lot more grip. I was worried about foams too. I run CI 2 stage foams and they do get kinda funky / broken down after a while. To me, I'd rather spend 15$ a year on new outer foams than deal with the hassle of drying them. It's basically nothing compared to some of the upgrades' costs, really...
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote

Wet tire foam - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best E.Coast mountainous rocky/wet/semi-clay-mud-dirt tire geauxktm, Tires and Wheels 19 04-02-2017 07:09 AM
Deuce's Wild XL Foam Pair; 3.8" ID; Yeti XL Foam / BFG Krawler Tire Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 12 08-31-2015 08:20 AM
Best 1.9 scale tire for wet smooth rocks? waiukea Tires and Wheels 19 11-09-2014 09:32 AM
tire foam or not??? 4tecJeeps Tires and Wheels 7 03-05-2007 08:50 AM