RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Fan for TRX4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/600936-fan-trx4.html)

Code54 07-31-2018 07:10 PM

Fan for TRX4

I have a brand new TRX4 and was thinking it maybe a good idea to put a fan on it to keep things cooler. Seems a lot are rather noisy so I was also helping to find something fairly silent. Is it better to do one on the motor or ESC? Any one you recommend?

Inspector86 07-31-2018 10:09 PM

Re: Fan for TRX4

Like Natedog said, a fan is not needed. Spend that money on a new servo or portal weights or HW 1080 esc, something that will actually be an improvement.

tim the toolman 08-05-2018 12:03 PM

These answers kind of confused me am I missing something lol? Had my sport out yesterday for it's first real crawl session, (5 hours of comp lines lol) I thought it worked great, only mods so far were brass portal outers, better servo and Bec. Towards the end of battery#2 the xl5 went into thermal mode once. Then battery #3 it thermaled 5 times or so. Figured I could gear down slightly, or put a fan on the xl5, or say screw it and stick my roc 412 in it. Hmm🤔

Ditchrat 08-07-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 5856394)
Like Natedog said, a fan is not needed. Spend that money on a new servo or portal weights or HW 1080 esc, something that will actually be an improvement.

While you are not incorrect, you can get a heat sink and fan for a 550 can motor for under 5 bucks. I just bought several fans for a project for $1.32 each.
But yeah get the HW1080 and be done.

Code54 08-07-2018 06:01 PM

Thanks!!
Im not opposed to the idea of a new ESC but don't have a clue what I need to do with it after I buy it. Do I have to program it to work with my factory transmitter? Any special wiring needed?
IS this the correct one?
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-Ele...hobbywing+1080
I have the weights and a new servo to put on as well upgraded tires and the metal servo horn so an ESC sounds good just need a little help with that install.
THANKS

Ditchrat 08-07-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code54 (Post 5858801)
Thanks!!
Im not opposed to the idea of a new ESC but don't have a clue what I need to do with it after I buy it. Do I have to program it to work with my factory transmitter? Any special wiring needed?
IS this the correct one?
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-Ele...hobbywing+1080
I have the weights and a new servo to put on as well upgraded tires and the metal servo horn so an ESC sounds good just need a little help with that install.
THANKS

No special programming. However I seem to remember that in order to get the motor to go the right way you have to calibrate it in reverse then switch it. I cant remember exactly what, I do remember that if you follow the instructions it works out.

Install is easy. All you need to do is solder on the correct connectors, if they are different then what you have.

The more difficult part and it isnt difficult at all, is using the programming card to individualize the esc power output for your driving style.

Hard part is figuring out how you want it.

Oh you can now run a 7.4v servo off the internal BEC if you want, if will run all but the most power hungry servos.

Basically read the instructions. But if you have issues just post them up, someone will get you squared away.

Inspector86 08-07-2018 08:19 PM

One of the earliest mods to my TRX4 was to switch to a 9t pinion. The extra motor speed goes a long way toward reducing operating temps.

Inspector86 08-07-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ditchrat (Post 5858805)
Oh you can now run a 7.4v servo off the internal BEC if you want, if will run all but the most power hungry servos.

Be careful about running 7.4v out of the HW1080 because not only will it power an upgraded steering servo, it will also power the RX and all the shift/T-lock servos at 7.4v as well. Problem is that these components in the TRX4 are only rated at 6v. This is where you get into the need to install an external BEC to power the steering servo.

AnimalHippie 08-08-2018 04:15 AM

Quote:

From what I understand. Unless you have the sport or you're deleting the diff lock servos & going to a single speed trans. The micro servos can't handle 7.4v. They are only rated for 6v max. You have to run a external BEC If you want to run higher then 6v.

Ditchrat 08-08-2018 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 5858849)
Be careful about running 7.4v out of the HW1080 because not only will it power an upgraded steering servo, it will also power the RX and all the shift/T-lock servos at 7.4v as well. Problem is that these components in the TRX4 are only rated at 6v. This is where you get into the need to install an external BEC to power the steering servo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHippie (Post 5858897)
From what I understand. Unless you have the sport or you're deleting the diff lock servos & going to a single speed trans. The micro servos can't handle 7.4v. They are only rated for 6v max. You have to run a external BEC If you want to run higher then 6v.

Its good that you both pointed that out, as I just assume everyone would know to adjust voltages as needed.

It is also easy and cheap to rectify. I few bucks for a 6v bec, and some wiring would address that.

Inspector86 08-08-2018 06:30 PM

Power all the 6v components off the ESC as designed. Power the upgraded steering servo from an external BEC at 7.4v or what ever voltage the particular servo is rated at.

schmack b 08-08-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

No special programming. However I seem to remember that in order to get the motor to go the right way you have to calibrate it in reverse then switch it. I cant remember exactly what, I do remember that if you follow the instructions it works out.

Install is easy. All you need to do is solder on the correct connectors, if they are different then what you have.

The more difficult part and it isnt difficult at all, is using the programming card to individualize the esc power output for your driving style.

Hard part is figuring out how you want it.

Basically read the instructions. But if you have issues just post them up, someone will get you squared away.

What are the correct connecters to make the HW 1080 connect to the stock 21 turn motor?

durok 08-08-2018 09:32 PM

I find sets of male/female 3.5mm or 4mm bullets to be best... cheap and easy to solder!