Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Parallel batteries? Any feedback?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #1

Default Parallel batteries? Any feedback?

I recently got my Defender and have just replaced the steering servo, getting ready to order a hobbywing esc. I was looking at the forward battery mount that allows you to keep the factory box. My thought was that I have not been doing a lot of side hill crawling, but more up and down hill stuff. I am going to add the complete light kit and a winch in short order so the extra runtime of a second battery would be a big plus. I am familiar with the fact that both batteries need to match capacity and discharge ratings to not cause issues. I know that weight forward is usually a suggestion to help distribute weight more evenly so that was my first thought, then followed by just having dual batteries in the truck anyway. Any ideas or thoughts on doing this?
freakinjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Parallel batteries? Any feedback?

Of course you could parallel batts, and front weight usually helps. The batteries primarily need to be same voltage/cell count, and of course same chemistry and charge state when connected. Discharge rate is almost nil, don't mix up 1C and 100C, but as long as both are suitable to drive the truck alone you could mix them. That said anything capable of 30amps is more than sufficient. Capacity is definitely nil. You could mix up 20Ah and 250mAh, it'll do without worries. Not very useful, tho, but you get the idea. I'd recommend to connect the balancer wires in parallel to be sure cells discharge evenly, and don't forget to add a single cell alarm.
amigaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:48 AM   #3

I was looking to run dual 3s LiPo rated 25c discharge and 5000 mah so both would be literally identical since I do get good runtime with a single one. I want to add to it and build it to be reliable, and I am sure that lighting and winch would draw a little on it but I was looking at cooling for it and I am sure that fans will make a little difference in overall runtime when running constantly. I am trying to get it ready for a fun run in a couple of months to support autism and the dual battery setup was the most straight forward idea I have come up with so far, especially being the front is a little light.
freakinjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'd say Lights and Fans won't make that much difference. Winch of course depends on load and use, could make some, but i'd say it's negligible. My Bronco drives on 7.6Ah for around 2 hours, then the battery is on storage, so there's a bit left. For the ease of calculation i'd say the battery is empty, so i have 3.8Ah per hour for driving. A bunch of LEDs will need some hundred milliamps max (and then you have a lot of light!), same goes for the fan. If i set the original TRX lighting power supply, that outputs 3V 0,5A, which converts to roughly 200mA on 2S. The fans can be assumed to be in the same range, and that makes the total load in the 10 percent range higher, so my battery will last like 5 minutes less if i have full lights and fans on all the time. Winching needs some amps but usually is pretty short timed afaik. I'd say it is in the range of half the motor power, so ten minutes full load pulling (which you usually don't do) converts to 20 minutes driving at least.

Last edited by amigaman; 08-22-2018 at 12:31 PM.
amigaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Parallel batteries? Any feedback? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running Two Batteries in Parallel? FeralWolf Axial SCX-10 22 01-09-2014 06:34 PM
Parallel Batteries? micro racer Electronics 2 07-25-2013 12:47 AM
Running batteries in parallel - need advice BubbaEinstein Electronics 4 05-15-2012 05:49 PM
Batteries in parallel adamargue Electronics 16 10-07-2010 10:09 AM
Charging batteries in parallel gunch Newbie General 10 11-14-2009 10:50 PM