Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Cmbscx10 Tries a Traxxas TRX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Cmbscx10 Tries a Traxxas TRX4

I never get the 1st of any RC but wait for some reviews and opinions from known people i trust. I swore of Traxxas for life after my LCG Slash nightmare. The TRX4 has shown so much innovation and is clearly not a Traxxas designed product. IMO, they had some major outside help in the TRX4 and the UDR. Very little flaws in the design and even being top heavy it seems to flat out work for a stock Scale Crawler. The aftermarket has stepped up big time with not just add ons for bling but well engineered and functional upgrades to make it even better. It seems like a tremendous Scale RC for the initial $$.

I didn't plan on getting one until i finished my Jeep TJ on 40's so i bid on one a few weeks ago with the Stage 1 upgrades i would have done anyway for low $$ and actually won it. So, i'll take a crack at this TRX4 hype and see what it is all about.

Should be here sometime next week. I will give it a quick once over and run it a few times before i decide which way to go with it. A few things you can count on from the get go. The Goofy (Just my Opinion) Tactical body will be Gonzo and i will run 1.9 Pro-line Hyrax 4.75's and CI foams. Wheels will either be SSD or Locked Up RC. I am actually pretty happy to bolt on upgrades and not have to think about or fab anything.

Traxxas TRX4 Tactical
Castle Mamba X with 3800Kv Slate 1406 Motor
Savox SV-1270TG
Samix Aluminum Knuckles

Pics from the Auction

cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Cmbscx10 Tries a Traxxas TRX4

Looking to replicate my old 1:1 XJ so for the body i am going that direction.

It arrived. Too bad the next few days i need to leave when it's dark and get home when it's dark to dive in.

Overall looks barley used. I would say almost no rock work and mostly street by the looks of the tires. Body had only 2 scratches that i can see, diffs have slight if any scraping, 1 or 2 light nicks on the links and the F/R bumpers have zero scratches. The Samix Portal Covers are actually HR Alum Steering Knuckles so that's even better. That is if the HR ones are any good.

One disappointment is the kv of the motor. It is a 3800kv and not 2800kv so he likely only ran it on 2S as the F/R diffs were open. The pinion will tell me that once i crack it open and look at the Castle settings. No big. I'll just gear it down as much as i can for now since i only have one 2S battery.

Overall at 1st glance is damn this clean, Nice overall degree of steering and a sh*t ton of flex. Should be a very fun Scaler.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Forgot to post this last night. Another bonus is the wireless link for the TX. Don't like blinking LED's programming and would have got this immediately so I could do end points etc.

Oh yeah. Jerp Cherokee body and rack are here. Good thing we have rain all weekend so I can get this cut out.

Sucks about the rain cause I can't test my TRX4.

Little Body trimming done. As you may have gathered from my Jerp TJ build i don't do fender flares. Those are for Mall crawlers

I bought some Axial SCX10.2 Jeep JK Flares and though they line upo with the fenders opens and would look BA IMO the Jeep Cherokee body won't accommodate the mounting system so i improvised. In CA you get dinged if the Forest Service guy is a D*ck for having NO flares so i put on as little as i could to be legal.

More parts arrived for my body.

RC4WD MaxTrax - 100% for scale look. Totally flimsy and complete Garbage.
Roof Rack Spot lights from i have no idea where or when i got them

Neo Ring Magnets - Going to try my first No post mounting system.

Scale By Chris (No, not Ccattie) Cherokee Glue In Tail Light Buckets w/LED Lights (Axial Cherokee)

China Copy of the Pro-Line PL-C Interior - These were only $9 compared to $30. Cheap enough that i decided to get (2) of them
China PL Interior

Weather is suppose to be high 60's so testing this weekend.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

So, I am doing my normal research to find the best part for the cheapest price. In particular the F/R bumpers for my TRX-4. I watched a lot of YT reviews and read a fair amount of threads in regards to bumpers. I’ll start by saying I don’t believe in the “just because it’s an RC you can cheat or disregard the intent or use of XX Product” line of thinking. This next statement will be my opinion. While I agree that a narrowed, tucked and a bumper with a stinger provides the most amount of clearance and simply looks Bad Arse, it is not “Real” in a 1:1 “Scale” scenario. That is unless you have a tubed Rock Bouncer, buggy, Truggy, Exo Caged, pinched/comp cut F/R body. 90% of the people on the trail don’t and that is not what type of “Scale” RC I am after.

I say the above because of the comments that running a narrow bumper is OK because you can pull a better line and the Lexan body will just give and bounce back. In 1:1 bodies don’t “Give” and “Bounce” back. I am running/building a “Scale” RC so my bumpers/armor will mimic that scenario. We spend countless hours and a ton of $$ whether you have deep pockets or not to make our “Scale” RC’s look and perform as much like a 1:1 as possible. If my bumpers are too wide and my tires rub then I need to pick a better line or do some other upgrades that will make that not happen. Just like in 1:1. Hope you follow all that line of cmbscx10 thinking.

With the above said, while deciding on F/R bumpers for my TRX4-XJ Bodied RC, I of course wanted it to resemble my 1:1 Jerp Cherokee XJ. I know how my XJ performed and I know how much the F/R bumpers saved my body and me personally from doing stupid lines meant for a much better setup rig that had far more clearance. After a lot of research, I decided on these.

Front Bumper:
RC3WD RC4WD Tough Armor Winch Bumper for Axial SCX10 II (Type B) PN: Z-S1849 w/RC4WD Warn Hawse Aluminum Fairlead PN: Z-S1310 **
RC3WD Shackles off my F-350. Putting the o-ring dampeners in was fun.

** Replica of a JCR Offroad Vanguard

While not 100% accurate for the front, it is as close as possible as I could find. I hated the goofy light bar/Hi-lift holder on mine but liked the bulbar/stinger look. Probably because it looked like a hack job done in a sweat shop. If your going to do it, do it right, the best way you can afford or not at all. It’s why I take forever to do stuff but 9/10 it looks good and works.

Rear Bumper: RC4WD Type A for Axial SCX10 II (Type A) PN: Z-S1850
My Rear Bumper was custom made and no way I would find it in the aftermarket and no way was I going to make it. Throw in the custom tire carrier and definitely no go. Keeping in mind approach and departure angles, body protection and tire clearance, I chose this one. I am going to keep looking for a bolt on tire carrier or I may or may not make one. Not sure yet but for now I’ll skip it.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Nice build your got going. If you find the 3800kv to fast switch the transmission into low gear that should help along with the lower gearing. My tactical I bought RTR. Now being transformed.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

According to the SBC instructions your suppose to glue these rear light buckets in with sho goo or e6000. Though great glue I don't see it holding on to well after a couple of rolls.

Dug through the hardware bin and found some of my extra Locked Up RC scale 2mm bolts. That will do the trick I think.

The SBC Lights only come with the Red and Back up LED's so i put it my own Amber LED in the middle hole.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Awesome to see someone else doing a XJ. I have been working on mine for a couple days now and have used some of the same items as you. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you.
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
Awesome to see someone else doing a XJ. I have been working on mine for a couple days now and have used some of the same items as you. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you.
For sure. Didn't like the Tacticool body so wanted something a little different and my old XJ seemed to fit the bill. I'll run the Tactical Body until i get the Jerp XJ done.

So far yours looks great. You will be finished and have probably 20packs by the time i get paint on mine. I am just way to OCD to build stuff quickly.

Did the right LED Bucket. With or without 2mm washers? Hard to tell with no paint a little bit.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
For sure. Didn't like the Tacticool body so wanted something a little different and my old XJ seemed to fit the bill. I'll run the Tactical Body until i get the Jerp XJ done.

So far yours looks great. You will be finished and have probably 20packs by the time i get paint on mine. I am just way to OCD to build stuff quickly.

Did the right LED Bucket. With or without 2mm washers? Hard to tell with no paint a little bit.
I hear you with the OCD we might finish up the same time hard to say but you might finish first still working on a Axial FC build nothing fancy mostly stock and its been 2yrs now working on it and still has no paint or has not seen power through it
Old 03-29-2018, 05:51 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I hear you with the OCD we might finish up the same time hard to say but you might finish first still working on a Axial FC build nothing fancy mostly stock and its been 2yrs now working on it and still has no paint or has not seen power through it
Rc OCD is a terrible thing. I've got 3 builds 50% done and 3 1/5 scale Go Fast that needs winter maintanance but just to busy to get to them all.

I made a Firestik for my 1/6 F350 but wasn't to happy overall with it.

So, this time around I hope I learned something. I had one on my XJ and TJ so why not. Tried to make the coils as accurate as possible but my gorilla mits can only do so much. Used A Traxxas whip antenna TRA1530 cut down to 5" since the longest USA Firestik is 4ft, a small servo mount for the base and of course shrink wrap. Next one will be better and you learn by doing or at least I do.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
The TRX4 has shown so much innovation and is clearly not a Traxxas designed product. IMO, they had some major outside help in the TRX4 and the UDR.
Wrong!

So, you like the TRX-4? It might not be an accident...
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I stand corrected.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:05 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Rc OCD is a terrible thing. I've got 3 builds 50% done and 3 1/5 scale Go Fast that needs winter maintanance but just to busy to get to them all.

I made a Firestik for my 1/6 F350 but wasn't to happy overall with it.

So, this time around I hope I learned something. I had one on my XJ and TJ so why not. Tried to make the coils as accurate as possible but my gorilla mits can only do so much. Used A Traxxas whip antenna TRA1530 cut down to 5" since the longest USA Firestik is 4ft, a small servo mount for the base and of course shrink wrap. Next one will be better and you learn by doing or at least I do.
that looks awesome
Old 03-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
that looks awesome
Thanks. I appreciate the comment. Photofukit took the only photo i had of the old one but i can tell you this is much much better but not perfect. The next body after this one will be better for sure.

Simple shovel mount made of Kydex scrap and cut down rod end
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2018, 07:37 PM   #15

Excellent work

Enjoy
OldNASCARCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

OldNASCARCrawler,
Thanks. I appreciate the comment.

I cleaned up my RC area and dropped the roof rack by mistake. Doing so made the shovel move. My OCD took over so i updated the mount. I dropped it intentionally to see if it would move and good to go now. I made enough room on the mount that i can double rod end it if needed.

The interior is last and way down the road but mocked up the Krawler Konceptz Powertank and RC3WD ARB Fridge.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

How much ice you have in the freezerneed to keep those drinks cold
Old 04-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Gotta find those little ice cubes and beer bottles I see on some builds.

That was not fun. Cutting out this part for the grille will definitely be done on the weekend and not after a long work day. Will do much better on the next one since the first one usually sucks for me.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

For when I change to the Cherokee body

BowhouseRC LCG Battery Mount
LockedUp RC Zero Bumper Mount
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
For when I change to the Cherokee body

BowhouseRC LCG Battery Mount
LockedUp RC Zero Bumper Mount
I have been looking at the lcg battery tray do they make a noticeable difference?

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cmbscx10 Tries a Traxxas TRX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Traxxas trx4 gaz Traxxas TRX-4 6 01-17-2018 01:37 PM