Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: SSD Rock Shield front bumper issue...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2018, 12:22 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default SSD Rock Shield front bumper issue...

So not sure if I want to return it or see if I can make it work but figured that I'd try to get some feedback from SSD or others that are using it successfully.

First impression is that like all SSD products that I have... very impressive! Flawless finish, flawless construction, affordable, lightweight yet seemingly very durable. Absolutely no issues with any of that!

But even before mounting it, I was concerned that there is only one set of mounting holes. I appreciate that it is intended to fit very close to the chassis for great approach angle. But without any additional mounting holes, there is no option to bring it forward a bit and away from the chassis/ body.

The only way that I'm able to get the body on is to angle it down and under the top edge of the bumper and even when doing it like this, I still can't get the body seated properly. Ultimately the ends of the bumper ( that wrap around the sides albeit ever so minimally) contact the flared portion of the fenders. This causes the body to become tweaked and not want to line up with the body posts. Then I must push down on the body to get the body-pins inserted.

So that's the issue that I'm having. My first thought to resolve this is to start trimming the body where the bumper makes contact with the flares. But I don't really want to do that on the new Bronco body that I'm planning to use. Another solution would be to move the bumper fwd but with only one set of holes, that's not an option.

I wish that the mounting tubes were a little longer and included at least one more set of holes to allow users to mount the bumper forward just a bit more, but that's not really here nor there. Any input from others that already have the bumper? Was it a flawless fit? Any idea how I might be able to make this work without wrestling with the body every time that I have to put it on/ take it off? ( without having to trim the body)?

Sincere gratitude for any suggestions and again... this is an otherwise awesome product to be sure!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2018, 04:17 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SSD Rock Shield front bumper issue...

I too just installed this bumper and was also surprised to find only one set of holes, but given its intent is to be tucked in super tight it kinda makes sense. My bronco body also needs to be installed in a "nose down" attitude to allow the body to fit under/behind the SSD bumper. With my body once its under/behind the bumper all is well, no need to push the body down onto the posts, I believe my posts are at "stock height", I may look into trimming the body at some point, but I'm in no hurry.

Last edited by skybolt; 09-13-2018 at 04:20 AM.
skybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:10 AM   #3
SSD
RCC Addict

You should not have to trim anything. So dont cut anything.

You do have to fit the body nose down and push the front sides inside the bumper a little but once inside but once inside it's barely touching the sides. The front it not touching at all. It doesn't tweak the body as can be seen in this image:

Obviously I have had more practice so dont find it to be particulary difficult to fit. I find the sides of the bronco body like to go in making the fitting more difficult.

For reference, I have the RTR body with the body post holes made by Traxxas. It fits inside the bumper no problem.

I didn't add more mounting holes as it would defeat the whole purpose of this bumper.

Last edited by SSD; 09-13-2018 at 05:27 AM.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:26 AM   #4
SSD
RCC Addict

This image shows where the body should be in relation to the bumper.

I would adjust the body mount holes if your body postion is not the same as this.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:09 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks very much, SSD for replying here.

Looks like my posts and/ or body must be tweaked a little bit since you're confirming that the bumper shouldn't be contacting the flares. Mine is definitely making contact and even though it's very slight, it's still enough that I have to wrestle with the body to get it to line up with the mounting posts. I'll figure something out... really want to keep this bumper. Thanks again.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

SSD Rock Shield front bumper issue... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New SSD Bronco Rock Shield Bumper SSD Traxxas TRX-4 17 11-30-2019 10:22 AM
New SSD Rock Shield Winch Bumper SSD Axial SCX10 II 0 01-10-2018 08:02 PM
New SSD Rock Shield Bumper for Deadbolt SSD Axial SCX-10 5 03-28-2016 07:39 PM