Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Back after 4 years

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Back after 4 years

This time around everything I do is budget minded, the last time I was like a kid in a candy store I had to have everything. I'm going for cheap and reliable mods, if I can fab something I need I will, if I have to buy something it will be found used first and new as last resort, I know there are some things you can't skimp on but even then I'm shopping for best price
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #22
RCC Addict

So I had a productive day, got my bench all cleaned up and semi organized lol, charged up the battery for the bronco, removed previous ownets decals and hit the rock garden for a few minutes just to make sure everything works as should. Happy to report no issues so far. I forgot how much I enjoy this hobby!
Old 10-06-2018, 07:43 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Some weight down low and she will be ready for anything! My trx is heavily modded with brass and a brushless revolver and it took me a year to break my first part, an upper portal gear. They just came out with a heavy duty version. But I doubt anyone without brushless brakes them very often. By far the best quality of these is the best I've owned in a crawler so far. Especially when I'm having a few beers getting rowdy the truck still held up lol. Just bought my second one cant wait to build a fleet!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Evo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #24

Welcome back to the hobby!
I too had some 5 years break and went back only this past spring... (hadn't sold anything I owned tho)
Came back hard with a TRX-4 too (along with a Barrage and a SCX-10ii, but that's another story... )

You'll love that rig! Have to go along with everybody else as your main concern should be a good servo and horn (the stock ones are lame) and some weight adding to make it sit better.

I'm surprised that nobody suggested any tire upgrade. The stock ones are ok, but easily outperformed... No need to go fancy. My main set for now is some Deep Woods from Duratrax... No bank breaker and they get the job done!

Enjoy your rig!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:57 AM   #25
RCC Addict

I think for initial upgrade of wheels and tires I'm gonna dismount the stockers and cut them a bit like I've seen a few people do then mount them up on a cheap set of beadlocks off of ebay with some weight in the fronts. I do have a better servo on the way as well, that stocker isn't gonna cut it. I think maybe next pay I'll order up a hobbywing 1080. Ive read a few different times that the low voltage cutoff comes on too quickly on the traxxas esc. I haven't seen this firsthand yet but we shall see.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I think for initial upgrade of wheels and tires I'm gonna dismount the stockers and cut them a bit like I've seen a few people do then mount them up on a cheap set of beadlocks off of ebay with some weight in the fronts. I do have a better servo on the way as well, that stocker isn't gonna cut it. I think maybe next pay I'll order up a hobbywing 1080. Ive read a few different times that the low voltage cutoff comes on too quickly on the traxxas esc. I haven't seen this firsthand yet but we shall see.
I'm glad to hear the truck is working well. It sounds like you're headed in the right direction with your mods. The stock tires aren't terrible. And if you put them on beadlocks you will have those wheels if you decide to upgrade to aftermarket tires later.

And the 1080 ESC is great to have. It'll throw more juice to your servo as well.

Just ensure the micro shift and diff servos don't get anything over 6.0V or they will fail according to what I've read on the internet. They are supposedly only rated for 6.0V.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:38 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm glad to hear the truck is working well. It sounds like you're headed in the right direction with your mods. The stock tires aren't terrible. And if you put them on beadlocks you will have those wheels if you decide to upgrade to aftermarket tires later.

And the 1080 ESC is great to have. It'll throw more juice to your servo as well.

Just ensure the micro shift and diff servos don't get anything over 6.0V or they will fail according to what I've read on the internet. They are supposedly only rated for 6.0V.
Good to know about those micro servos, Thanks!
Old 10-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

If you upgrade the steering servo, neither the 1080 or stock esc will really have enough amps to ensure it doesnt burn up. So I'd also strongly recommend a BEC.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo93 View Post
If you upgrade the steering servo, neither the 1080 or stock esc will really have enough amps to ensure it doesnt burn up. So I'd also strongly recommend a BEC.

Also good to know, can you recommend a decent budget friendly one? Also I've never used one in all this time so could someone point me to a good wiring diagram for a bec?
Old 10-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Castle bec is great but needs to be programmed. Programmer works on all castle devices and Holmes escs. Very versatile. Wiring depends on setup. But you you can by a reciever bypass for a few bucks from rpp or Holmes. There's other becs but none compare to castles capability. 20 bucks for the bec. 20 for the castle link. And can be used for any aftermarket servo. I'd recommend when you wire it to your battery use a JST connector between the battery and BEC so it's easier to get out of the way when you need to. Or switch it onto another esc or whatever. That's what I like to do.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Along with the Castle Creations BEC I recommend that you use the Holmes Hobbies Bypass Adapter. You can buy both the BEC and bypass direct from HH and he will program the BEC voltage for you so you don't have to buy the programmer just yet.

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-bec-10a.html

Last edited by Inspector86; 10-08-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Along with the Castle Creations BEC I recommend that you use the Holmes Hobbies Bypass Adapter. You can buy both the BEC and bypass direct from HH and he will program the BEC voltage for you so you don't have to buy the programmer just yet.

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-bec-10a.html
The problem I have with programming this stuff is I no longer have a windows computer. I went to a Chromebook years ago. I see they have something that's bluetooth now that works with Iphones and Ipads. I do have an ipad I wonder if I could use that?
Old 10-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
The problem I have with programming this stuff is I no longer have a windows computer. I went to a Chromebook years ago. I see they have something that's bluetooth now that works with Iphones and Ipads. I do have an ipad I wonder if I could use that?
Order one from Holmes with a bypass and have him set the voltage for the bec. Or an shv500 servo will plug directly into the stock esc eliminating the need for a bec. The stock esc has a jst plug that has full battery power. That eliminates any wiring or anything.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:34 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Thanks for all the great info guys! Upon doing some research I think I'm going to try the Heyok bec, just for ease of programming and wiring.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Ds3218 servo on the way, aluminum ebay beadlocks, and some 1/4 oz stick on wheel weights for the fronts. Gettin ready to order Heyok bec as well, still leaves me $40 in my budget, hmmmmm
Old 10-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

The Hobbywing 1080WP ESC has a good enough BEC that you would not need an external one. 3A constant and 6A peak.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMI View Post
The Hobbywing 1080WP ESC has a good enough BEC that you would not need an external one. 3A constant and 6A peak.
You know that is a good point, the replacement servo isn't a super high torque servo just better than the stocker. Thanks for keeping me on budget just ordered the 1080.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Spent about an hour outside this evening running the Bronco around different areas in my yard, rock garden, hill climbs and some high speed 2nd gear runs, oh man this thing is so much fun! I also picked up a used hacked FS gt3c and spent some time relearning how the settings work on it, I prefer the gt3b but this will work. I'm gonna be pretty busy here soon changing things up in the truck
Old 10-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Hi there , I’m new to 1/10 scale ,have trx4 sport. One thing I would not go cheep on is the servo, second the motor. I’m running the savox 1230, in my opinion a must. Add the 10 amp BEC. Good to go. Both my servo and motor went out pretty quick, switched to the Savox and brushless. I know brushless is something your not looking to do. Holmes Hobbies builds great brushed motors. Those stock tires are phenomenal once broke in. Between my wife and I we’ve ran several set of different types and brads and they hang with the best in my opinion.
Pjking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #40
RCC Addict

A Holmes brushed motor is on the list, as far as the servo goes the one I have on the way is cheap but great reviews and definitely better than the stocker. I'm shooting for budget friendly builds this time around.

Back after 4 years - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back into R/C after 25 years... Capt J-rod Newbie General 11 03-27-2018 09:44 AM
Getting back into RC after 6 years strap624 Mega/Monster Trucks 9 06-21-2017 08:00 PM
Getting back into R/c after 8 years- get a wraith? strap624 Axial Wraith 15 08-29-2011 08:28 PM
After 3 years, I'm back lol mtm Redcat Crawlers 19 07-29-2010 09:27 PM
looking to get back in been foe many years dmicgrif General Scale Talk 3 06-16-2009 09:50 PM