RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Back after 4 years (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/602644-back-after-4-years.html)

kincer 10-01-2018 04:15 PM

Back after 4 years

So I致e been away from the hobby for about 4 years, I sold everything except my tools and after about a month I totally regretted it but the feeling subsided until about a month ago. I picked up a used TRX Bronco off of eBay yesterday. It comes with a lipo, charger, and some other extras. I知 really excited to be back, any must do mods to do right away? It should be here Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HumboldtEF 10-01-2018 04:22 PM

Re: Back after 4 years

Welcome back!

The TRX4 is pretty well balanced to start though one thing you should have on your radar is the stock servo, it will give out eventually. You can just wait for that to happen or replace it with one with more torque which it needs anyway (stock lacks torque).

brimdogg 10-01-2018 04:23 PM

If not already done, the steering servo is the biggest issue with the TRX platform.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5872758)
So I致e been away from the hobby for about 4 years, I sold everything except my tools and after about a month I totally regretted it but the feeling subsided until about a month ago. I picked up a used TRX Bronco off of eBay yesterday. It comes with a lipo, charger, and some other extras. I知 really excited to be back, any must do mods to do right away? It should be here Friday.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

kincer 10-01-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brimdogg (Post 5872762)
If not already done, the steering servo is the biggest issue with the TRX platform.

Any recommendations? This time around I知 being very sensible and am goin to try to get the most bang for my buck. I知 not buying every fancy mod they make. I went nuts the first time around buying every add on in sight lol.

brimdogg 10-01-2018 04:55 PM

If you don't plan on adding obscene amounts of extras, the cheap 20-25kg rated servos from China are what I run. They're usually about $20-30, so I keep a couple extras around in case they die. I haven't had one die yet though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5872774)
Any recommendations? This time around I知 being very sensible and am goin to try to get the most bang for my buck. I知 not buying every fancy mod they make. I went nuts the first time around buying every add on in sight lol.

kincer 10-01-2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brimdogg (Post 5872777)
If you don't plan on adding obscene amounts of extras, the cheap 20-25kg rated servos from China are what I run. They're usually about $20-30, so I keep a couple extras around in case they die. I haven't had one die yet though.

Where痴 a good place to pick these up?

brimdogg 10-01-2018 04:58 PM

I have bought off eBay, but most recently I got a bunch off Amazon.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5872778)
Where痴 a good place to pick these up?

DS3218 is the model I got on Amazon.

kincer 10-01-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brimdogg (Post 5872780)
I have bought off eBay, but most recently I got a bunch off Amazon.

Cool, thanks! Is there a keyword or brand?

Inspector86 10-01-2018 05:01 PM

Savox 1230SG is rated at 500 oz/in at 6v. I have four TRX4s all are equipped with this servo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Savox-SA-12...ss!22553!US!-1

HumboldtEF 10-01-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5872774)
This time around I知 being very sensible and am goin to try to get the most bang for my buck. I知 not buying every fancy mod they make. I went nuts the first time around buying every add on in sight lol.

I would categorize a nice servo as a must have and not a fancy mod.

Personally I wouldnt cheap out on the servo, I'd look at Savox or Hitec.

kincer 10-01-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 5872795)
I would categorize a nice servo as a must have and not a fancy mod.

Personally I wouldnt cheap out on the servo, I'd look at Savox or Hitec.

If I have to pay up for a good servo I will definitely do that, what I知 talking about is appearance add ons, useless bling lol

83trekker83 10-01-2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5872801)
If I have to pay up for a good servo I will definitely do that, what I知 talking about is appearance add ons, useless bling lol

If its used bronco did the previous owner do any mods on the electronics? Alot of them do

kincer 10-02-2018 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83trekker83 (Post 5872860)
If its used bronco did the previous owner do any mods on the electronics? Alot of them do

Not sure if any mods to the electronics were done, it's got some appearance bling that I can see.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

OSRC 10-02-2018 06:34 AM

Only performance oriented mod I would suggest off the bat is a set of brass portal covers (I'm partial to the SSD's myself, but there's tons out there) The trucks are a bit top heavy - adding the brass really made a difference in mine - especially since I have the heavy Defender body. It's much more stable and planted feeling, and I only added it up front. Should really make a difference with the lighter Bronco body.

It's the only performance mod I've made, the rest of my chassis is bone stock. It's a solid truck - no real need to throw money at it.

kincer 10-02-2018 07:12 AM

I just looked at the chassis photos again and everything looks stock from what I can see, there's hardly a scratch on it so that's a plus. I'm really looking forward to getting it, just wish I still had my hacked flysky radio that radio was excellent!

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

JatoTheRipper 10-02-2018 07:31 AM

Congrats! You will love the TRX-4. In terms of outright fun it's the best truck ever made IMO. If you want all-out comp performance you will be disappointed. But out on the trails it's perfect. So much fun.

The new FlySky GT-5 is a better radio than the old FlySky out of the box, but I'm not sure it can be hacked.

kincer 10-02-2018 07:59 AM

The new FlySky GT-5 is a better radio than the old FlySky out of the box, but I'm not sure it can be hacked.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to check that out, I know a lot has chnged in the 4 yrs I've been away.

kincer 10-02-2018 01:43 PM

Here's a pic of it from ebay, don't have it yet. Friday needs to get here!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...dba7f3f74f.jpg

kincer 10-05-2018 11:38 AM

Well it was delivered and I'm at work and the only thing I'll be able to do when I get home is take it from outside the house to inside the house because I have unexpected plans tonight, oh well on the plus side the expected delivery date was changed to Oct 10th but it came today so WOOHOO!

Levi 10-05-2018 11:43 AM

Welcome back to the fun and having no money again, lol. The trx4 you'll love. Like anything mods will help you get it where you want it.