Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Dr. F's Kit Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #201
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Dr. F's Kit Bronco

Nice pics, looks like a blast. Glad to hear the GRC parts are holding up good. I still haven’t even had a chance to try mine out. Green bronco still looks like it’s the truck to beat in your group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #202
Rock Crawler

Thanks We always have lots of fun, that's why we even DO it. By the last 30 min. or so we were doin' a little "bumper cars" action and in no time we were laughin' so much my sides were hurtin'.
The tighter turns was the first thing I noticed with the knuckles, then the clearance on the rocks. Yeah, the little greeny meany has been givin' some lessons lately. But I'm sure it's only a matter of time 'til someone "removes the pebble from my hand".

Dammit, my pic's have blown out of the page again. I don't know what's goin' on, I'd think web-hosting would get it right. photobungled again! sorry guys

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #203
Rock Crawler

Dave and I hit the park again last weekend. He decided to put all of his "better" parts into his blue Chebby, then he bought a new set of Krawler T/As (predator compound) and some ProLine dual-stage foams for it too.

It really helped his truck. Now our rigs are more evenly matched again. His truck doesn't ride the sidewalls so much now. I like the better challenge.

It was hot and muggy that day so we just crawled around on a couple areas that were shaded. Luckily, they were some of our favorite sections.

A few of the spots that gave his rig the most trouble were in the sun and got skipped, so we'll have to go thru the whole stretch to see how even they really are .....

..... so I may still have an edge.
we shall see.

Thanks for lookin'. The pic' issue seems to have straightened out ..... keep your fingers crossed.

jim
Old 07-03-2019, 10:59 PM   #204
Rock Crawler

Nice pics man. Glad you got some competition now at least.

Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #205
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxed View Post
Nice pics man. Glad you got some competition now at least.

Thank ya, sir. Yeah, a little friendly rivalry helps improve your drivin'. It's not quite as fun if it's too easy.
Hope everyone has a fun and safe holiday weekend.

jim
Old 07-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #206
Rock Crawler

I was down in the yard crawlin' on the rock pile and decided to monkey around on an oak tree that grows beside the pile. (get it? ... monkey around )

I think the set-up works.

But, kinda like a kitten, once ya get up there ..... THEN WHAT?! Gettin' back down is a BITCH!

jim
Old 07-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #207
Rock Crawler

I took the Bronco down to the road-side rocks today. Crawled around for about an hour and a half, shot a few pic's.

All the rain we've gotten lately has crumbled away more of the rock. Makes for some new lines.

Shot one short vid' of the best climb spot.

Thanks for lookin' One day the pic's are okay ... the next day they're HOOOGE again. Danged if I know what's goin' on!

jim
Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #208
Rock Crawler

I took the Bronco down to the roadside rocks this past weekend, but my ipod overheated in the hot sun (didn't know they'd do that ) so it wouldn't shoot any pics. But I met up with Dave and Josh a couple of weekends ago at Fassnight Park and I did get a few shots there.

Dave loaned Josh his brand new Krawler TAs, so the Ghost rig was doin' a LOT better.

You gotta watch out or your buddies will try to get a shot in on ya. The little green machine still does it's job.

The guys decided to test their bumpers a little.

My truck made it up and down that spot okay, but not wanting to be left out .....

I found a spot to do a stinger-check. STILL TIGHT!
Another day of fun. In the end, Josh got a new set of tires and wheels (THANX dad ) and lost a little more body-film.

Dave already got another set of tires and wheels, black chrome this time. And speakin' of body-film .....

I got a new pair of predator compound Krawlers myself .... but I haven't put 'em on yet.

Thanks for lookin', tune in next time.

jim

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 08-12-2019 at 11:25 AM. Reason: DOH!!
Old 08-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #209
Rock Crawler

It was a beautiful summer day in the Ozarks so I went back down to the roadside rocks for some more fun. Shot a few pics and another little video.

Part of the challenge of this place is the crumbling rock that changes the lines, some places every pass. That also adds to the fun.

And other parts don't change at all.

Here's the vid'. You'll have to forgive the cameraman, he was tryin' to drive too (and he can't do both very well). And excuse the umbrella drop-downs, there ain't much shade beside the hiway so ya gots ta bring yer own.

Did you hear the birds? AAnnyway ....
Had lots of fun again, kinda becomin' a habit. Thanks for lookin', tune in next time ..... same bat-time, same bat-channel.

jim

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 08-14-2019 at 08:45 PM. Reason: derp
Old 08-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #210

That looks like an awesome place to crawl!
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #211
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That looks like an awesome place to crawl!
Thanks bud', it's turnin' into one of my favorite crawl-spots. I love the set-up. Most of the good area to crawl is right at eye level. You can stand in the hiway shoulder, 10 or 15-ft away from the occasional traffic, and crawl a 40-ft stretch of various rock obstacles without climbing or even walking much. An old fart like me appreciates the easy access. And I talked to the owners of the adjoining land and I have permission to park safely out of the way, but super nearby. Even right on top of the crawl-spot if I want to listen to my big-truck radio. And I drove past these rocks for over 10 years before realizing they might be a good place to scale-crawl. Sometimes treasures ARE hiding in plain sight.
Enjoy your scooters

jim
Old 09-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #212
Rock Crawler

Well, we've been crawlin' just about every weekend for the past month or so but I haven't shot many pic's or any vid's. But, as some of you noticed, I've also been painting up a fresh body to go along with the new Predator compound tires. I've ran the old ones for almost a year now, so the tires are gettin' worn and the body is cracked on all 4 sides and missing paint (not to mention all of the re-paints ). I stuck to the same color scheme overall, just used the right paints and added a few new twists.

After masking off the flames,I shot the main body with PS-58 Pearl first then with PS-17 Metallic green. But this time for the flames I used Spaz Stix color-change (green/purple/teal) and tipped the flames and shot the grill with their Chrome. Even after 6 coats, you can see thru the color-change paint.

But once you shoot the Ultimate Black Backer, it POPS!

And, of coarse, changes color with every angle.

I drew in the door lines with an ultra-fine Sharpie, then wiped most of it back out before I painted, so the lines are more visible but not too strong (they ARE just shadows after all ). I like how they turned out.

Here's a look at her with the old basher ....

.... I think it was time. And I LOVE the new paint!

Thanks for lookin' ....
I'll be takin' pic's again NOW. so tune in next time.

jim
Old 09-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #213
Gold Star Baby!

Cool paint job Jim! I like the idea with the color changing paint. Looking forward to seeing it in a video.

Keep it up!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:38 AM   #214
Go Buckeyes!

Nice paint job! Them flames are on fire!

That shade of green reminds me of my uncle's old Ford van from the 70's back in the Vannin' days!

Nice touch with the mirrors. I use the same mirrors on all of my bodies. It's nice that they are rubber and don't break off easily.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #215
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Cool paint job Jim! I like the idea with the color changing paint. Looking forward to seeing it in a video.

Keep it up!
Thank you, Sir. This is my first experience with the color change stuff and so far, I LIKE it! I'm really impressed with their chrome too, although it doesn't work as well on an "outside" application ... even WITH their Ultimate Clear Coat it doesn't shine as bright. And I'm ready to get her on some real rocks for glamour shots and vid's. I'll get some posted up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Nice paint job! Them flames are on fire!

That shade of green reminds me of my uncle's old Ford van from the 70's back in the Vannin' days!

Nice touch with the mirrors. I use the same mirrors on all of my bodies. It's nice that they are rubber and don't break off easily.
Thanks, Brian. I thought the "carnival" paint might kinda bring the flames to life as it bounces around .... we'll see. So far they've changed to 15 or 20 different colors or shades. LOTS more than 3-color. It looks different every time I look at it.
Funny thing ....back around 1980 .... I actually had a Corvair Greeenbrier van with long green fur (not carpet ...FUR! ) all over the interior that was about the same green. We used to go to "Cruise-In"s on weekends where a bunch of vans would gather and camp. (VANp?) FUN times!
I put mirrors on my Pumpkinstein truck years ago, and since then I feel like any scale rigs look "bald" without mirrors. These seem to work pretty well ... IF you bolt 'em on. I lost one before I realized that.
And it's easy to make new lenses for 'em if ya need to.

I'll get to some rocks in the next few days and get a few better shots of the funky paint .... so keep a look out.

jim
Old 09-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #216

That's a really fun looking spot to crawl.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #217
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's a really fun looking spot to crawl.
Thanks The latest pic's are out in my front yard, on my pile of rocks and the "spike-bridge" that I made by hangin' an old landscape timber between a couple of oak trees. Then I scabbed a deck onto it out of cut-offs from a picket fence repair. I made it all wonky by stuffin' sticks and rocks under the deck-boards as I screwed 'em down. I made the ramps with welded-wire fencing on treated board "runners". It can be a challenge so you have to pay attention to drive across it.
It's not that much of a crawl-spot, but it's surprising how easily you can burn an hour or two out there. And there's usually a strip of rocky pond-bank to waste some time on too, if you're bored.
I may be a bit spoiled. Luckily, in 1/10th scale you don't need a big area to have a little fun.

jim
Old 09-26-2019, 07:05 PM   #218
Rock Crawler

I took the new little Bronco down to the road-side rocks yesterday. Shot a few vid's to show off the color changes. Damned Ipod got hot again, (90-deg and in the sun) so I didn't get any new pic's but, here ya go ...

I shot a couple coats of the color-change paint in the back windows before I blacked them out. It's not as strong of a color, but you can see the change in the windows too. In this one you can really see the flames go thru the gold to greens to purples to blues etc.

I'm LUVIN' the Spaz Stix paint, and the chrome turned out beautiful too .... BEST chrome paint I've ever seen!
There are a couple more short vid's on my YouTube, I may post them up too.
Thanks for lookin', hope ya enjoy the vid's .... let me know if ya do.

jim
Old 10-01-2019, 08:05 PM   #219
Rock Crawler

Installed a GRC stainless link set today.

And here are the other 2 short vid's I shot last week.

It's supposed to turn nice by the end of the week, so we'll go crawlin' and I'll get some fresh pic's on some rocks.
Thanks for lookin' ..... tune in next time.

jim
Old 10-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #220
RCC Addict

The links look great! and I like your rock lights. Where did you get the lights? Do you have a link? Thanks

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. F's Kit Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas Bronco light kit HTFU Defender Traxxas TRX-4 0 06-25-2018 09:06 AM
Bronco light kit? HTFU Defender Traxxas TRX-4 2 05-15-2018 04:56 PM
light kit for the bronco m1009cucv Traxxas TRX-4 4 03-27-2018 02:22 PM
Ascender Bronco Kit ??? raceeng18 Vaterra Ascender 7 01-11-2017 04:45 PM
Eta on a Bronco Kit? LoneRanger Vaterra Ascender 4 11-10-2015 05:28 PM