Notices

Thread: Dr. F's Kit Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Dr. F's Kit Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
Well, it turns out he got the BFG Mud Terrains, in Predator compound. We hit the rocks at the park this past weekend. It had rained 2 days before, so there was sticky mud between the rocks. It came down to who got to lead the way. The first guy in line broke open the surface and tracked a little mud up on the rocks, so the second guy had a tougher go of it. My Krawler T/As did pretty well against the M/Ts, but to be honest, after a little time in the mud his M/Ts collected a little less mud. As we trailed along from rock to rock, my performance faded a bit more than his. The M/Ts definitely showed their advantage in the mud, but I'm not ready to order any just yet. I did soak my tread clean in Purple Power, and we'll see how things compare next time it's dry again. I'll let ya all know the results.

I may ask Santa for a set of Red label Krawlers, just to keep up.

Ok, I ordered a set of krawlers in the predator compound and was sent the mud terrains(predator) by mistake, then I told the seller of the mistake and they sent me the krawlers in the predator compound and told me to keep the mud terrains. So I was just curious if one was working better than the other. Kinda glad I have both now to test them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxed View Post
Ok, I ordered a set of krawlers in the predator compound and was sent the mud terrains(predator) by mistake, then I told the seller of the mistake and they sent me the krawlers in the predator compound and told me to keep the mud terrains. So I was just curious if one was working better than the other. Kinda glad I have both now to test them out.

Lucky You!! I was pretty busy gettin' my butt handed to me on the slippery rocks, but I did take a few pic's. You can see here, the M/Ts on my buddy's truck. This is toward the end of our session and our tires were pretty muddy by then.

Here's my Krawlers. You can see how much more caked-up they are.

I like the more aggressive lugs on the Krawlers, myself, though I can't argue with the wet-trail performance of the M/Ts.
But, again, we'll see how things are on the dry rocks.
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:15 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

I do like the way the Krawler look a lot more.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I do like the way the Krawler look a lot more.

They look good on your truck too. I read a few threads here about different tires, and ended up buying the Krawlers because I liked the look of them the best. The red-labels weren't easy to find then, but I may have to get some now. I'm really happy with them so far. My buddy tried some PBs and the BF Goodys seem to out-perform them. The M/Ts he has now got his truck up rocks and crevasses that it wouldn't climb with any other tires he'd tried. He's getting some BFGs for his other truck, he just can't decide whether to get more M/Ts or Krawlers. I guess it depends on what weather he wants to crawl in.
I'm watching to see how your truck does with them.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

I値l be trying it out this weekend after I get my hitec and bec put in. I値l let you know.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I値l be trying it out this weekend after I get my hitec and bec put in. I値l let you know.

You need to post up a thread on it, so we can all keep up with what your doin' to it.
My buddy got in some more stuff for his kit build TRX, so we may hit the rocks this weekend. I have to work tomorrow, but we'll see about Sunday. I'm ready to try again .... without the mud.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Ok I値l start a thread on it. It痴 not going to be to much right now, but I値l put up what I got so far.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ok I値l start a thread on it. It痴 not going to be to much right now, but I値l put up what I got so far.

I'm proud of ya. That's a good lookin' truck. I really like those wheels (and tires ). Keep it up.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:57 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Default Dr. F's Kit Bronco

Quote:
I'm proud of ya. That's a good lookin' truck. I really like those wheels (and tires ). Keep it up.

Thanks man, I bought the tires per your recommendation. I really like the gearhead wheels on my wraith so I got them for this to. I have a couple things to do in the next day or 2. I値l post it on my thread when I get it done.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

It was a beautiful, sunny day yesterday, so my buddy and I hit the park for some rock time. We had raked a lot of the leaves away the last couple weekends, so the mud had mostly dried up. My tires were clean and I was running my small battery, so the little green machine was back with a vengeance. My buddy has been reworking his RTR Bronco, so he brought it out for some testing. He swapped it to the Axial Blazer body (I LIKE it) and he put his BF Goody M/Ts on it.

He still needs to get the driver's head put in, so it was like crawlin' in Sleepy Hollow. Well, without mud, the Krawlers were showin' their stuff. Even with heavy weights on all 4 hubs, his M/Ts couldn't quite keep the pace on all the rocks.

Now, the Blazer doesn't have any OD or UD gearing (YET ) so it's basically stock in that area. He is running a 20kg servo, no bec.

After it failed to climb one rock we headed on down the trail ...

... for a nice pose by the creek. Then after it failed another climb, he decided to get his kit truck out. He had his PBs on it, but after gettin' the Blazer's butt handed to him, we had to swap tires and wheels so he could redeem himself.

But without mud, the little Bronco just couldn't be beaten.

Even after trying to run me over ....

.... the little greeny meany just drove off into the sunset ....

.... ahead of HIS truck.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas !!

Thanks for lookin' and likin',
jim

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 12-24-2018 at 08:50 PM. Reason: DOH!!
Old 12-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Looks like a good time!

Old 12-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Looks like a good time!

Yeah, we always have a LOT of fun. But I had to pay for it a little after the day was over. We're both bad about watching the other guy for a minute without letting off the throttle, so at one point I drove right off of the rock wall. After about a 4-ft fall onto the rocks below, I lost a butt-load of paint.

I guess that's the price I pay for color preference.

I already re-painted it ... AGAIN !!!

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 12-24-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: DOH!!
Old 12-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yeah, we always have a LOT of fun. But I had to pay for it a little after the day was over. We're both bad about watching the other guy for a minute without letting off the throttle, so at one point I drove right off of the rock wall. After about a 4-ft fall onto the rocks below, I lost a butt-load of paint.

I guess that's the price I pay for color preference.

Ouch! Bummer!

Old 12-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ouch! Bummer!

Naaahh, all part of the game. If you ain't skinnin' it up, you can drive it a little harder!

jim
Old 12-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Old 12-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Well, my buddy's boy got him a set of Krawler TAs for Xmas ... predator compound of course. So I guess I have to step it up. I'm not telling him yet, but I just ordered a Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Expert 550, 21T.
Mmwaahhahahaha! Can't wait 'til it gets here. Got a couple other goodies on the way too.

Stay tuned ....

Old 12-28-2018, 05:18 AM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well, my buddy's boy got him a set of Krawler TAs for Xmas ... predator compound of course. So I guess I have to step it up. I'm not telling him yet, but I just ordered a Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Expert 550, 21T.
Mmwaahhahahaha! Can't wait 'til it gets here. Got a couple other goodies on the way too.

Stay tuned ....

Nice, I was looking at that same motor.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:31 AM   #58
RCC Addict

My wife got me a 21 & 27 turn for Xmas. I put the 27t in with the 9t pinion. That thing has torque for days!! I really like how it crawls now. Might try to return the 21 and get another 27
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Nice, I was looking at that same motor.

It should be here next week. I'll be sure to post up results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
My wife got me a 21 & 27 turn for Xmas. I put the 27t in with the 9t pinion. That thing has torque for days!! I really like how it crawls now. Might try to return the 21 and get another 27
I thought about the 27T, but all of J.R.Holmes' posts talk about more rpms and lower gears, so I opted for the 21T. I looked into the CrawlMaster motors, but they were mostly 16T or lower. I don't want lots of speed, and I'll prob'ly put my 9t pinion in at the same time. I also ordered a Bowhouse tray and I already got an alloy motor-mount/cover combo to go in too. And I ordered another pair of Li'l Novas for the rear tires. HO HO HO, gotta love cash for Xmas.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 12-28-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: DOH!!
Old 01-01-2019, 02:12 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Happy New Year everybody. I got my new HH motor in the mail yesterday, and already had these other goodies to go in, so I started the new year with this project.

I saw the motor mount in SVT's thread and found them on eBay for about $18 ea., so I ordered one for me and one for my buddy. You can see that I already milled a window into the gear cover for the rpm sensor.

I just clipped off the little sensor box from a mount for a Revo, and epoxied it into the hole, flush with the inside surface. Then I can take the sensor loose if I need to get inside the cover.

I installed my 9T pinion, so I mounted the motor in the "A" holes () and the gear mesh seems to be about right. It may be a leetle bit looser than I prefer, but it runs suh-moooth and reasonably quiet, so I'll leave it alone for now.

I watched JRH's video about timing, and I put about 6 to 8 degrees of reverse-rotation advance in the TorqueMaster, like he recommends. I just swapped the polarity and wire color, instead of spinning the end-bell 180, to reverse the rotation. The new mount feels really solid now and it's nice to be able to check the gear mesh with everything tightened down.

I'm super happy so far. I gotta go try it outside. My Bowhouse tray and the other pair of Li'l Novas should be here tomorrow, so I'll be gettin' to those next.

I plan to order a HW 1080 this week too, so stay tuned.

Dr. F's Kit Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas Bronco light kit HTFU Defender Traxxas TRX-4 0 06-25-2018 09:06 AM
Bronco light kit? HTFU Defender Traxxas TRX-4 2 05-15-2018 04:56 PM
light kit for the bronco m1009cucv Traxxas TRX-4 4 03-27-2018 02:22 PM
Ascender Bronco Kit ??? raceeng18 Vaterra Ascender 7 01-11-2017 04:45 PM
Eta on a Bronco Kit? LoneRanger Vaterra Ascender 4 11-10-2015 05:28 PM