Notices

Thread: Dr. F's Kit Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #161
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Dr. F's Kit Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
How is that servo working out? I like that it can go up to 8.4V, unlike the go-to DS3225 that only seems to be good up to 6.8V. Could actually run it at the 7.4V setting on the HW1080 and my MMX.
Well .... I was likin' it a lot 'til yesterday .... less than 10 minutes out the door a stick got jammed in the front axle and next thing I know it squealed a couple times, then went kachunk 2 or 4 times trying to turn, then it locked up! I opened it up and turns out it broke a tooth off of the tiny brass pinion gear on the motor. All of the other gears look to be steel, except for the pinion and apparently the motor is stronger than the gear.
SOoo for now I put a 25kg back in and I just ordered a 46kg just like sickpuppy got for his new rig. Hope it's a good one. It says "steel gears", so we'll see. I ordered it from Banggood so it'll take at least a couple weeks to get here. Count on a post-up when I get it in.

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2019, 11:32 PM   #162
Gold Star Baby!

That’s a bummer about the servo, but good info to know what’s inside.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #163
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the condolences. The 46-kg JX servo, like sickpuppy's, shows to have "... precision Taiwanese made hard anodized steel gears..." so it should be tougher AND stronger.
Hope so .... we'll see I guess. It was $50, so still a bargain for 46-kg. I'll let you all know how it TURNS out.

jim
Old 05-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #164
Gold Star Baby!

Haha. I’m a little embarrassed by how hard I laughed at that.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #165
RCC Addict

Getting caught up on this thread... Loving everything about this rig. Really enjoy reading your witty and enthusiastic updates!

By the way... I discovered SPECIFICALLY what happened to your servo and I've outlined that below...

" It just keeps on gettin' better."

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #166
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Haha. I’m a little embarrassed by how hard I laughed at that.
Yeah, embarrass myself a lot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Getting caught up on this thread... Loving everything about this rig. Really enjoy reading your witty and enthusiastic updates!

By the way... I discovered SPECIFICALLY what happened to your servo and I've outlined that below...

" It just keeps on gettin' better."

Thanks ...... reeeeeally helpful! You ARE Bronson's daddy, aren't you?
OH, and my mom says "a nut got loose at the steering wheel" and broke the servo.

jim

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 05-25-2019 at 01:34 PM. Reason: DOH!!
Old 05-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #167
Quarry Creeper

Default Dr. F's Kit Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
Well .... I was likin' it a lot 'til yesterday .... less than 10 minutes out the door a stick got jammed in the front axle and next thing I know it squealed a couple times, then went kachunk 2 or 4 times trying to turn, then it locked up! I opened it up and turns out it broke a tooth off of the tiny brass pinion gear on the motor. All of the other gears look to be steel, except for the pinion and apparently the motor is stronger than the gear.

SOoo for now I put a 25kg back in and I just ordered a 46kg just like sickpuppy got for his new rig. Hope it's a good one. It says "steel gears", so we'll see. I ordered it from Banggood so it'll take at least a couple weeks to get here. Count on a post-up when I get it in.

jim

Whoops. I bought a pair before i saw this. Was gunna put one in my TRX4 and one in my Rock Rey. Then my DS3225 was gunna go into my newly converted brushless tmaxx.

Last edited by mass-hole; 05-25-2019 at 09:14 PM.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #168
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Whoops. I bought a pair before i saw this. Was gunna put one in my TRX4 and one in my Rock Rey. Then my DS3225 was gunna go into my newly converted brushless tmaxx.
Hey, to be honest, I was gonna order another one 'til I saw sickpuppy's and found 'em for $50. Mine could have been just the right combination of bad stuff all at once .... or just a bad gear.

jim
Old 05-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #169
Rock Crawler

Hope everyone had a good Memorial Day! The weather gave us a break so I met up with Dave and his son at Fassnight Park for some crawlin' .... finally.
We usually just hit the rocks closest to the parking area, crawl to the other end a few hundred feet away, then trek back. This time we decided to go backwards and walk to the far end and crawl our way back. On the way, the Bronco snagged another stick (I guess I pissed of the toothpick fairy ) and it pushed the retainer spring off and dropped the pin out of the front CV on the drive-line. So after a rocky start and a repair, we were ready to bust a ghost and whoop some black on ol' blue.

Josh hadn't done anything to his Axial, not even put the stinger back on or paint it. (hence the "ghost" )

And Dave had swapped in his HH motor and put 39 rate springs and 10-wt oil in the shocks of his blue truck, so he was ready to throw down.

Doin' the back-track made for some new lines and challenges.

And some not-so-successful attempts ....

..... for some of us. Not-a-problem's for others.

I went right up and over, then turned around to offer help. and rub in a little salt.
I was proud of the little green machine again. It went everywhere theirs went, cut tougher lines and even went a few places they couldn't go.
we started at the back of the trio, but even running with a piece of an allen wrench as a CV pin

.... she lead the pack across the finish line .... and she kicked their butts ... again!

Thanks for lookin'. Sorry I didn't shoot any vid's, I'm a slacker.

jim

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 05-28-2019 at 10:08 PM. Reason: DOH!!
Old 05-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #170
Rock Crawler

I forgot to mention, after over 4 hours of crawlin' I'm thrilled to say that the new stinger is SOLID and TIGHT!! You can see in the pic's, Dave's was bent almost straight up, and Josh didn't even replace his from when it fell off last time out. LOVIN' the new bumper!! I can carry the truck by the stinger now without worrying about it tearin' off in my hand. I highly recommend it to anyone cussing theirs every time it comes loose.
Sorry again for the humongo pic's. I guess since a mod's not resizing them, I'll have to shrink 'em before I put 'em on photobungler.

jim

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 05-29-2019 at 12:18 PM. Reason: DOH!!
Old 05-29-2019, 03:39 PM   #171
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I forgot to mention, after over 4 hours of crawlin' I'm thrilled to say that the new stinger is SOLID and TIGHT!! You can see in the pic's, Dave's was bent almost straight up, and Josh didn't even replace his from when it fell off last time out. LOVIN' the new bumper!! I can carry the truck by the stinger now without worrying about it tearin' off in my hand. I highly recommend it to anyone cussing theirs every time it comes loose.
Sorry again for the humongo pic's. I guess since a mod's not resizing them, I'll have to shrink 'em before I put 'em on photobungler.

jim
I was trying to find that bumper but for some reason I can't. Is there a link you can post? My Bronco needs some off road friendly new bumpers pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #172
Rock Crawler

Well, I might have just found it. Is it this one?

Old 05-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #173
Rock Crawler

Yessir dat looks like it. I'm lovin' mine, and I haven't needed to re-tighten the stinger yet!
It polishes up pretty nice too.

jim
Old 05-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #174
Rock Crawler

Awesome. Does it mount up with those post things shown in the pic not on the bumper?

Old 05-29-2019, 03:54 PM   #175
Rock Crawler

Yep, you may need to adjust their length or drill new holes to pull it in. I had cut off my old ones for my winch mount so I just re-used them, same thing tho'. I just checked and that's the same place I bought mine, so it IS the same.

jim
Old 05-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #176
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yep, you may need to adjust their length or drill new holes to pull it in. I had cut off my old ones for my winch mount so I just re-used them, same thing tho'. I just checked and that's the same place I bought mine, so it IS the same.

jim
Nice thank man. Going to order it up.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:18 PM   #177
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxed View Post
Nice thank man. Going to order it up.

I think you'll like it. It's not very wide so it opens up the front tires a bunch. With a little angle to the approach, it'll get up on a lot more.
I got the '73 into the "garage" to fix the CV pin. While I was cuttin' and grindin' a replacement, + 2 xtras for the toolbox I heard "Trojan MAN" from the TV and I thought hey, THAT's what I need ... that extra layer of protection. So after puttin' the new pin in and replacin' the keeper coil, I wrapped those rascals with a section of heat-shrink tube.

I know it's not "impregnable" but I figure it might help keep the keeper (ahem) kept. .... at least against a stick .... maybe.

Things dried out a little again today and it's s'posed to be nice again tomorrow, so maybe we'll go crawlin'. I'll try to shoot some vid's if we go.

jim
Old 05-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #178
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I think you'll like it. It's not very wide so it opens up the front tires a bunch. With a little angle to the approach, it'll get up on a lot more.

I got the '73 into the "garage" to fix the CV pin. While I was cuttin' and grindin' a replacement, + 2 xtras for the toolbox I heard "Trojan MAN" from the TV and I thought hey, THAT's what I need ... that extra layer of protection. So after puttin' the new pin in and replacin' the keeper coil, I wrapped those rascals with a section of heat-shrink tube.

I know it's not "impregnable" but I figure it might help keep the keeper (ahem) kept. .... at least against a stick .... maybe.

Things dried out a little again today and it's s'posed to be nice again tomorrow, so maybe we'll go crawlin'. I'll try to shoot some vid's if we go.

jim
I have them in my Ebay cart. I'm just not sure how they'll look on the wide bronco body. Trying to decide. Also looking at the ssd bumpers for the bronco. But I kinda want to put a winch on it to. DECISIONS!

Last edited by Tmaxxed; 05-30-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #179
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxed View Post
I have them in my Ebay cart. I'm just not sure how they'll look on the wide bronco body. Trying to decide. Also looking at the ssd bumpers for the bronco. But I kinda want to put a winch on it to. DECISIONS!

I know, too many choices! Yeah, but a winch out front really keeps the bumper farther out. I DO like the look of the SSD bumpers tho'. I like my winch .... but I've only used it once or twice. I recently ordered the goods to make some self-recovery bungee straps to use instead of the winch. But I won't take it off.

jim
Old 05-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #180
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I know, too many choices! Yeah, but a winch out front really keeps the bumper farther out. I DO like the look of the SSD bumpers tho'. I like my winch .... but I've only used it once or twice. I recently ordered the goods to make some self-recovery bungee straps to use instead of the winch. But I won't take it off.

jim
I did order the bumper. Coming from Hong Kong so who knows how long it'll take. Can't wait to try it out.

Dr. F's Kit Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas Bronco light kit HTFU Defender Traxxas TRX-4 0 06-25-2018 09:06 AM
Bronco light kit? HTFU Defender Traxxas TRX-4 2 05-15-2018 04:56 PM
light kit for the bronco m1009cucv Traxxas TRX-4 4 03-27-2018 02:22 PM
Ascender Bronco Kit ??? raceeng18 Vaterra Ascender 7 01-11-2017 04:45 PM
Eta on a Bronco Kit? LoneRanger Vaterra Ascender 4 11-10-2015 05:28 PM