Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: akumu - TRX4 Sport kit build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
v33
Rock Crawler

Default akumu - TRX4 Sport kit build

not sure if i posted this, did a search and nothing.

Anyways, i purchased a TRX-4 Sport last year with a specific custom build in mind using axles only, unfortunately due to gearing issues had to scratch that project and instead focused on trying to get the most with what i currently have.

sold the body and all the the scale item... didn't really care for it, instead I had to use my old lexan LC70 as a temporary shell. during test runs, i actually broke the body in half so i retrofited a honcho cage.

the past months i have custom fit a vanquish servo bumper mount for my savox 1210 servo winch, replaced the top motor mount with an alloy one, sold the unused wheels and tires and got several new tires and test fit them... got the Voodoo KLR/M and KLR X4 but decided on the /M for trailing. I have an OG KLR for comp use and it is shared by my vs410 custom build.

a few weeks back, finally recieved my preferred hard body, a fiberglass Hilux and paired it to my old alloy flatbed. this is how she looks now...

I have added a GRC rear portal hubs and cover, unfortunately my GRC akerman knuckles and steering links has not arrived yet due to flights being canned from HK to my country. waiting for flights to return and recieve those.

plans are mostly detailing, custom roll bars, maybe interior and scale items for our sorrca based events.

thanks for viewing!

Last edited by v33; 03-31-2020 at 01:11 PM.
v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: akumu - TRX4 Sport kit build

Looks like you are a prime candidate for a cantilever rear suspension to eliminate those rear shock towers. Here is the Xtra speed cantilever kit on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Xtra-Speed-Ca.../dp/B07QJFP5ND
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:34 PM   #3
v33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Looks like you are a prime candidate for a cantilever rear suspension to eliminate those rear shock towers. Here is the Xtra speed cantilever kit on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Xtra-Speed-Ca.../dp/B07QJFP5ND
Thanks!

I was actually considering it (something new to try), but this is a class 2 build so i opted for a different route. if portals where allowed in class 1 then I would have considered using cantilever system. on my class 1 i just used a tamiya trf shocks and that works too with less thing to worry about.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:21 AM   #4
v33
Rock Crawler

the GRC front knuckle/c-hubs came and got those installed, really provides some clearance and the price and quality are not bad at all. does anyone own a set and tried using those side damper mounts, if you did how is it?

been playing with my new 3d printer and started modelling a light bucket, quick release sand ladder mount and a fuel cell for it. the jerry can is from thingiverse, it's a very nice model.

made a spare tire mount out of some scrap aluminum and added some scale items i had. still thinking what i can model and print to max out my scale points.

Keep safe everyone... thanks for viewing!
Old 05-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #5
v33
Rock Crawler

backyard test run...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ubo...1ZUxHuEET20nkQ
Old 05-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

That is a really good looking rig. Those tires make it perfect.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:15 AM   #7
v33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
That is a really good looking rig. Those tires make it perfect.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thanks!

More changes done to this rig again, I am trying to lessen the weight of this rig... in its last form the rig weighted somewhere around 7lbs+/-. With the old LCG chassis I was using with vs410 axles I have managed to shave off around 1lbs. Belly clearance is 2.5 inches and uses full droop front and back, with the GRC F/R C-hubs i can easily set the ride height higher depending on terrain. The hilux cab can no longer be used without shaving a lot of the rear so i opted to use the Powerwagon on this rig.

Here is a test video, body is not mounted yet though and still have not braced the rollbar nor made a new bumper for it.

Let me know what you think?

https://youtu.be/pic417itanE

Thanks for viewing!
Old 08-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Oh man. I really like that!

That is something right up my alley.

Really neat playground you have there!

I’ve been trying to create a low ride height, long travel set up by using a droop/drop setup with 110mm shocks.

I also have the adjustable front c hub shock mounts and the rear axle shock mounts.

They work ok but only gave me a small amount of adjustment mounting the shocks lower than compared to stock. The stock mount is dead in the middle of the axle mounts.

I really like how your tires stick out past the frame. I’d like to figure out how to do that on my stock chassis. Having the tires contacting obstacles first is awesome.

Your rig looks like it performs as good as it looks!
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yeah that thing is sweet. It's a shame your old hard body doesn't work though. That one looked propper good. The halfcab/flat bed thing is where i intend to take my truck also. I think it looks amazing and less body weight is always a good thing!

Do you notice it getting high centered a lot with that low clearance?
mr_alister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 12:15 AM   #10
v33
Rock Crawler

It's been more than a year and there has been a lot of changes done to this rig. I ditched almost the whole chassis to cut down on weight, the only thing left on this build are the Axles (with GRC bits), shocks and drive shafts. i sold everything, the whole chassis rails, tranny.

these where the changes in 2020... used GSpeed TGH v3 carbon fiber chassis with customized 70mm tranny skid and spacers, used a Vanquish 3 gear tranny from my VP Origin and flipped it.

Brazed a rear cage and bumper for it (not sorrca truggy legal), which was supposed to use a hliux fiberglass body but decided to throw in my fiberglass powerwagon instead.

a few weeks ago i brazed some supports on the cage...

This year I had the honor to be part of Team GSpeed Driver. Well to be clear this doesn't mean that i am a great driver

the photos above was taken a few days ago, and I found time to make a short video on my backyard with loose rocks and soil... hope you guys like it

https://youtu.be/C8KQFF3teDI

forgot to mention we had belly dragger comp a few months ago and this rig took first... just needs a few more tweaks and it should be running better.

thanks for viewing!

Last edited by v33; 04-24-2021 at 12:27 AM.

akumu - TRX4 Sport kit build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
akumu - TRX4 Sport kit v33 Traxxas Crawlers 5 01-12-2020 09:28 AM
TRX4 Sport body on TRX4 Crawler kit chassisc redpeppers Paint and Body 7 09-14-2019 12:59 AM
trx4 sport kit build traxxas79k5 Traxxas TRX-4 0 05-20-2019 07:35 AM
Alex's TRX4 Sport kit build alexleblanc Traxxas TRX-4 13 05-06-2019 11:46 AM