Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Picked up my first trx4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Picked up my first trx4

So I’ve built quite a few axials over the years. And now that I have two comp style trucks I wanted a trail rig again. Sold one of my race buggies and had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I ordered a trx4 sport. First I wanted to have a completely stock rig. Second I wanted to see what the whole portal axle thing was about. So far I’ve removed the stock body (which is sold) took the truck apart greased everything with udder butter (which it probably didn’t need traxxas did a great job packing everything with grease.) 3d printed a battery tray that I promptly broke removed all the bumpers. 3d printed a rear chassis brace to replace where the bumper bolted up. Removed sliders. And sat a 4Runner body I had laying around on top of it to see if I’d like it. Now I’m just waiting on tall rear body posts before I can officially mount it up but it doesn’t look bad maybe a little trimming with stock tires. Truck is well built over all and I like the layout of everything so far. Can’t wait to get it together and give it a test run. Hopefully before it snows here. Anything else I should look at getting right away for this truck or so I just run her until she breaks and upgrade from there. That’s mainly what my idea was to do for this truck was to run it stock as long as possible and upgrade as needed. That’s if I can hold my self back from just buying up mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Picked up my first trx4

I just picked up my first TRX as well, I took a break from hobby for 4 years, before that I had several Axials and a couple TF2s. I'm really impressed with this truck, I'm trying to do like you and leave it as stock as possible but you are definitely gonna wanna change the servo to just about anything than stock. I'm doing budget build so I went with a DS3218 off of Amazon alot of people are liking it for this truck on a budget, I haven't mounted yet so we will see.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I dont have the trx, i built an axial from ground up. But as far as servos go, I use a powerHD 20kg waterproof for my steering. Works great!!!!! Theyre $20 each. Ebay has a deal 2 for $37 n some change.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
RCC Addict

This is the one i bought, is this the same as ebay one?
Old 10-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
I dont have the trx, i built an axial from ground up. But as far as servos go, I use a powerHD 20kg waterproof for my steering. Works great!!!!! Theyre $20 each. Ebay has a deal 2 for $37 n some change.

i just searched ebay for "powerHD 20kg" found single ones, but could not find the deal for 2?? any chance you have a link?
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Coudnt find the one they had before, but heres another one of the same servo

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F352470080184

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Add a bec if you want your stock esc to last since it's only 1amp or save urself the trouble and grab Hobbywing 1080 with 3amp bec and peak 5amp if your running higher torque servo.
Personally the trx4 needs at least a 23kg or better, in my sport I run the 1230 savox and Mamba X sensored with 2280kv and it has an 8amp peak bec but was running the 1080 with Power HD 25kg and that is a nice servo.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Yes I agree, since I’m doing a budget build I got the 1080, I recommend those two things for your stock sport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 11:14 PM   #9
33m
Pebble Pounder

Stronger servo and a BEC to power it if you are still going to use the stock ESC. Maybe a 9t pinion if your ok with a lower top speed.
33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:52 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I’ve had two power hd 23kg servos in my axials and I’ll never use one again. Get them in a slight bind and you can’t turn out of anything without backing up. Made it real tough to maneuver in the last comp I was at. I really wouldn’t mind it being slower I was not expecting the speed it had. It’s easily double the speed of either of my other trucks. I do plan on running what’s in the truck until it dies then replacing it. It’ll probably get a 1080 at some point a new motor maybe and a new servo. Definitely going to change the tires eventually as well.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33m View Post
Stronger servo and a BEC to power it if you are still going to use the stock ESC. Maybe a 9t pinion if your ok with a lower top speed.
The sport comes with a 17t pinion. You can go down to a 15t without changing to the bigger size spur gear which is what I did. Gearing seems about right to me this way
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I'll be installing that DS3218 servo and 1080 esc tomorrow evening I'll give you feed back on that servo when I can this week.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #13

Congrats! The TRX-4 is an amazing truck.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Reprinted the lcg battery tray with a few adjustments to the original file I got from thingiverse. Also got my body posts in the mail. Re installed the factory sliders as they look quite well on this body with it slammed down low. Once the body is finally mounted I can get this out for a test drive. Hopefully this weekend ill be able to get it out.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:04 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Have fun with your build. Sounds like you off to a good start. Its funny how axial guys love the trx4, well some of them. Nothing wrong with either side of the fence, lol. Can't personal speak yet with the comparison of the two yet. A scx is on my list hopefully at the beginning of the year.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:59 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Congrats on the Trx-4! They're a great rig! Really digging the 4 runner body! Don't know if your thinking about buying some new tires or not, but I found that the stock tires with a little modification are an amazing tire. Can see pics of they way I cut the set I have either in the cut tires only thread or in either of my build threads. A good set of dual stage foams is also one of the best upgrades for these trucks. Good luck! Keep up the great work. Have a great day!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
so I ordered a trx4 sport. l

Nice!
So what made you decide on the sport over the kit or other rtr TRX4?

mebeknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebeknob View Post
Nice!
So what made you decide on the sport over the kit or other rtr TRX4?

No need for all the extra crap. I would rather have a single speed trans and locked diffs. No need to go fast or turn better it’s going to be crawled slow.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

A local guy showed me his bowhouse servo winch mount and I really liked the design but it wouldn’t work with the setup I had. So I set out to design my own simple but effective version for my setup. I didn’t want the bumper mount as I wasn’t going to use a stock bumper. So I came up with this. I’ll have to get a servo winch now I guess also modded a bumper I made for this body but on scx frame rails to fit the trx rails. I still have zero run time on this truck lol just need to trim the front fenders to clear stock tires and I can get out and run the damn thing.

Picked up my first trx4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM
Picked up another jk Alamo71 Axial SCX-10 0 10-12-2014 08:29 PM
Just picked one up! slashracer111 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 11-29-2009 09:13 PM
Just picked up a WK. Swampwalker3 HPI Wheely King 3 09-16-2009 12:18 AM
Picked up a CR-01! lt. Tamiya CR-01 2 08-18-2009 07:07 AM