Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 sport/Bronco kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TRX-4 sport/Bronco kit

I'm thinking about getting the kit or sport, can't decide between the 2.
Iv'e owned Axial crawlers, never owned a Traxxas.
I like all the options of the kit, but do you really use the lockers or leave them locked all the time? So would that be an option not necessary.
I guess what I'm asking is, Are all the options really worth the cost, or are just going to be a problem to repair later. I'm not against repairing, It's part of the hobby.
Suggestions please. What you like and don't like.
Cheers
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #2

Default Re: TRX-4 sport/Bronco kit

The Bronco is an RTR not an assembly kit. You may know that, but just making sure.

When I take my Bronco out on the trail the diffs stay unlocked. When the going gets tough I lock the front. If that doesn't work I lock both. So, yes, I use locking diffs quite often for scale crawling and trailing! It's part of the charm for the TRX-4 IMO.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

When I take my truck out every feature of it gets used, except for the cruise control. If I'm crawling up a pile of rocks, it stays locked, but once I get to the top, they are unlocked to help with turn radius while I'm driving to the next obstacle. Speaking of driving to the next obstacle, it's nice to have that high gear to get there faster. The sport wasn't even a choice I considered when I decided to get a TRX-4. I knew I wanted the 2 gears and the locking diffs. The only choice I had to figure out was to get the Bronco in red or sunset. lol
Up'n'Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I agree with both posters so far, I love everything about it, it's so capable right out of the box. I've only changed the servo, esc, and added aluminum beadlocks with weighted fronts with the stock tires and it's amazing! My brother ran it last week and couldn't believe how well it handles terrain. I've got some other changes I want to make but I'm in no hurry because it's great as is.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #5

I guess I'll be the odd man out. My truck is a Defender base and it's great. But after using it awhile, I feel like I could have gotten along just fine with the sport. The diffs and 2 speed are absolutely nice but with brushless/lower turn motors and overdrive/underdrive gears you can gain back almost all the wheel speed and turning radius that the 2 speed and diffs give you, with the added benefit of fewer moving parts and servos. The servo issue is also a big one when you consider replacing the stock steering servo, which is not an option, it's a necessity. With the sport, you can swap in an HV servo and a Hobbywing 1080 esc, set the bec to 7.4v, and go. With the Defender/Bronco/Kit, you have to wire in a bec and get the bypass so that the esc feeds the shift and diff servos and the bec feeds the steering servo. It's not a huge deal but it is something to be considered. And no you can not feed the shift and diff servos 7.4v. They will die rather quickly.
Shadowfocus603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #6

For me the high gear is a blast when I'm running around with friends anywhere but a competition. During a comp, I rarely take it out of low gear. The diff locks are necessary for running higher speed, otherwise the truck rolls over constantly.

I have quite a few packs though my Bronco and have not had any problems with the shifting/diff lock servos, but I also try to make sure I'm driving the truck when I shift/lock/unlock so that the servo isn't straining.

The steering servo is absolute garbage, I recommend the Savox SW-1210SG. Waterproof, good torque, even on 6V and stock ESC, no BEC.

Also, I personally would recommend a nicer body than the Sport, it really seems cheap when compared to most other trucks. However, it is a light weight low CG body for competing, and will fit the kit wheelbase.

Unless you really don't like the Bronco, it is a better deal than the kit, considering how much Traxxas charges for the Bronco body by itself.

Also, upgrading a sport to have two speed and diff locks is way more expensive than buying a kit or even a Bronco. The sport also doesn't have fenders, which keep the interior significantly cleaner, and provide a place to install rock lights for night time fun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
niggemannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggemannb View Post
For me the high gear is a blast when I'm running around with friends anywhere but a competition. During a comp, I rarely take it out of low gear. The diff locks are necessary for running higher speed, otherwise the truck rolls over constantly.

I have quite a few packs though my Bronco and have not had any problems with the shifting/diff lock servos, but I also try to make sure I'm driving the truck when I shift/lock/unlock so that the servo isn't straining.

The steering servo is absolute garbage, I recommend the Savox SW-1210SG. Waterproof, good torque, even on 6V and stock ESC, no BEC.

Also, I personally would recommend a nicer body than the Sport, it really seems cheap when compared to most other trucks. However, it is a light weight low CG body for competing, and will fit the kit wheelbase.

Unless you really don't like the Bronco, it is a better deal than the kit, considering how much Traxxas charges for the Bronco body by itself.

Also, upgrading a sport to have two speed and diff locks is way more expensive than buying a kit or even a Bronco. The sport also doesn't have fenders, which keep the interior significantly cleaner, and provide a place to install rock lights for night time fun.

I'm hoping that Traxxas will come out with the accessories for the sport soon.
I like the Sport and the Bronco body's. Plus I have a couple Jeep bodies unpainted. The ones with open tops and roll bars.
Really no BEC with new stronger servo, no issues. wow. Thought there would, plus having 3 other servos.
Thank you everyone, I have some thinking to do. Leaning towards the kit.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I'm only 3 months new to the crawler thing. I went with the kit because I like to build things and didn't like any of the stock bodies offered in the TRX-4 line. Plus the price point was great on the kit at the time because it came with a free battery and charger combo (#2993)

I decided to sell all the traxxas electronics and even the charger/battery combo from it for $220! Bought a Flysky GT3c, hacked it to 8ch ($70). Hobbywing 1080 esc ($40). Holmes Trailmaster Sport motor ($20).
I wanted to keep the 2 speed, but get rid of the locking diffs. When I ordered the truck, I also ordered the f&r spools ($20).

In the end, came out with a truck to my specs for under the kit cost.

I'm glad I went the route I did. The 2 speed is super handy for trail use getting to your spot and saving battery life.

Just my .02 tho.

Last edited by FastMatt; 10-26-2018 at 04:49 PM.
FastMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMatt View Post
I'm only 3 months new to crawler thing. I went with the kit because I like to build things and didn't like any of the stock bodies offered in the TRX-4 line. Plus the price point was great on the kit at the time because it came with a free battery and charger combo (#2993)

I decided to sell all the traxxas electronics and even the charger/battery combo from it for $220! Bought a Flysky GT3c, hacked it to 8ch ($70). Hobbywing 1080 esc ($40). Holmes Trailmaster Sport motor ($20).
I wanted to keep the 2 speed, but get rid of the locking diffs. When I ordered the truck, I also ordered the f&r spools ($20).

In the end, came out with a truck to my specs for under the kit cost.

I'm glad I went the route I did. The 2 speed is super handy for for trail use getting to your spot and saving battery life.

Just my .02 tho.
I'm a fan of building kits also. Just feel I may never need to unlock diffs. I do like the 2 speed trans. Maybe later I'll upgrade to 2 speed trans later, if i go the sport way.
Eventually Traxxas will release inner fender kit.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Unlocking the rear is good for steering and high speed runs. I've since put a locker up front and removed the servo/linkage.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have both. I like the fun the bronco offers, at the same time I like knowing the sport is a simple truck. Fun to use and just as easy to drive. I like my sport over looks.
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I have the Bronco and loved the remote locking diffs until a servo died, so i get rid of all that and installed spools on both axles, with the experience and hours driving the Bronco i would go with the Sport one, lighter and much less failure-prone parts
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabust View Post
I have the Bronco and loved the remote locking diffs until a servo died, so i get rid of all that and installed spools on both axles, with the experience and hours driving the Bronco i would go with the Sport one, lighter and much less failure-prone parts
What would be needed to lock front and rear diffs?
Old 10-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
What would be needed to lock front and rear diffs?
Just 2 of these:
https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/8297

...and you get to remove all of this junk: ��
https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/8195

Edit:

Oh and theres already fender kits for the sport:
Regular:
https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/8072
Narrow:
https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/8080

Last edited by FastMatt; 10-26-2018 at 04:55 PM.
FastMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #15
RCC Addict

You could buy a roller chassis off ebay then add the wheels, electronics and body of your choice.

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAST-ONE-TR...YAAOSw1Sdbr93I
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabust View Post
I think the problems with the micro servos is that they are Traxxas servos lol but also with the stock radio controlling them, there is no trim or endpoint adjustment so if something is not quite right it's just gonna sit there and hum until it burns out or you disconnect it, one of mine was humming slightly but since I changed radios and now have adjustments I was able to adjust the hum out and I think they will last much longer now, these servos aren't really doing anything all the time unless you lock/unlock diff. It's the hum thats killing them.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMatt View Post
Just 2 of these:
https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/8297

...and you get to remove all of this junk: ��
https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/8195

Edit:

Oh and theres already fender kits for the sport:
Regular:
https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/8072
Narrow:
https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/8080
Perfect thanks.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:09 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I just ordered the kit version. I will probably not be installing the lockers.
Also ordered, (2) Spool/ differential housing plug/ e-clip.
Red and Tacky #2 grease.
May be selling the, Differential, locking, front and rear T-Lock cables and servos
Wish me luck.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
I just ordered the kit version. I will probably not be installing the lockers.
Also ordered, (2) Spool/ differential housing plug/ e-clip.
Red and Tacky #2 grease.
May be selling the, Differential, locking, front and rear T-Lock cables and servos
Wish me luck.
Congrats Bud, I think you're going to have a great time with it!

You may want to try the truck out in high gear before selling the diff/locks. And you can always lock them with a zip tie if you happen to lose a servo at a competition.

PS - be extra careful with the screws that hold the diff covers to the axles, they seem to strip out easily.

niggemannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggemannb View Post
Congrats Bud, I think you're going to have a great time with it!

You may want to try the truck out in high gear before selling the diff/locks. And you can always lock them with a zip tie if you happen to lose a servo at a competition.

PS - be extra careful with the screws that hold the diff covers to the axles, they seem to strip out easily.

I will not be doing any comps.
Just for fun. The crawler community is not very big here, that I know of.

TRX-4 sport/Bronco kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 sport build - 1966 Bronco MeanTT Traxxas TRX-4 24 10-21-2018 03:52 PM
Trx4 bronco with Sport body and traxxas lift kit Exiwolfman Traxxas TRX-4 0 10-13-2018 02:20 PM
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport part 2! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 08-03-2018 06:31 AM
Traxxas Official TRX-4 Bronco Light Kit ScoJac Traxxas TRX-4 9 06-11-2018 10:09 AM
Traxxas TRX-4 KIT Bronco fxman General Crawlers 115 04-22-2018 10:26 AM