Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX on a diet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 04:31 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default TRX on a diet

My c2 Trx need to sheed some weight above the axles. But there's not a lot potensial left, without going for chassis swap. Converting the trans to a single speed would help, but the love the possibility the get extra wheelspeed. A nice bl combo would solve that, but that's not on par with my budget right now.

Anyone else done some weightloss on their Trx?

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2018, 05:54 AM   #2

Default Re: TRX on a diet

How important is waterproof to you? You could always ditch the receiver box. Beyond that I think you are close to your limit.
Shadowfocus603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Not ready to ditch the wp reciverbox yet i think... A new chassis is the way to go, but have not found the right one yet.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #4

Have you added weight down low? Have you lowered your ride height? Do you have a low weight, low cg body?

Doesn't look like their is much left to do for lightening the top side of the chassis/internals.

If you are competing, be careful if you change the chassis, make sure you stay within class rules.

And get yourself some stainless hardware, those are some rusty screws! Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
niggemannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggemannb View Post
Have you added weight down low? Have you lowered your ride height? Do you have a low weight, low cg body?

Doesn't look like their is much left to do for lightening the top side of the chassis/internals.

If you are competing, be careful if you change the chassis, make sure you stay within class rules.

And get yourself some stainless hardware, those are some rusty screws! Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Got weight down low. I want to lower the overall weight of the rig, and have to start with the weight above the axles. I got plans for titanium links. If the budget would allow the tgh trans and a lighter chassis would be nice.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Would you be shedding that much weight with a chassis swap ? Also the receiver box ? Really ? Talking grams max. Hardly worth the bother.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:56 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
Would you be shedding that much weight with a chassis swap ? Also the receiver box ? Really ? Talking grams max. Hardly worth the bother.

Agreed your saving a minute amount of weight...if your keeping the defender body you need to shed off the body were you can which is pretty much that anchor of a.tire out back and get your unsprung weight up using brass parts such as samix sells. Although I haven't added any brass down low I bought the spare tire delete/ roto pack mount from.knight custom. Even just doing that helped my max angle climb and side crawl. That tire and mount it's on is heavy.
FANATICRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
I do not know excatly how much weight a chassis swap would shed, but my guess would something between 200 -300 grams.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I was about to say some of the same stuff Nate already said.

Go back to stock shock towers (they're plenty strong BTW),
remove the deans to deans adapter/sandwich from the Hey OK controller and solder in your connection.
Cut down your battery tray, surely you dont need all of that material. pair it down to just the needed mounting points and the bare minimum for holding the battery and cut off the rest.
Eliminate the switch on the 1080 ESC, cut the wires and solder them together (it will always be on with a battery plugged in).
Shorten any wires that are longer than needed.
Shock tower braces/cross pieces can be lightened by drilling holes in them.

You say you want to keep the receiver box which I understand, but in the picture you have the seal/cover removed so right now its not sealed up anyway. Just throwing that out there.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Agree with Casey and normally remove all ESC power switches. However, if the power switch is removed from the WP1080 I don't think it can be programmed?
I believe it could be programmed with the card but the button beside the on/off switch is used for initial setup and calibration so I think I'd leave that.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I'm sure you could shave off a good bit of weight by moving to a 540 sized motor. Looking at some weights of generic motors, a 540 sealed can is about 2 oz (56g) lighter than an equivalent 550. With the weight reduction that has already been done, I wouldn't be too worried with motor heat.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Plastic shock towers would be lighter and strong enough. Trim all the screw boss nubs off the side trays flush with the surface, maybe lose the rx box (if not cut the bottom out and E6000 it to the side tray). Plastic battery tray instead of aluminum or at least trim off the unnecessary parts of the tray. Trim wire routing nubs off rear where the side trays screw into. Drill lightning holes in the shock tower/body mount cross braces. Get light weight lexan body but keep it realistic looking.

Do not add a bunch of brass crap, too much weight is not good, MFR brass portal covers are about all that's needed besides some nice stamped steel or machined aluminum beadlocks. I'm not a fan of SS screws, they are never as strong as carbon steel and I've broken off and rounded out several and dislike them.

EDIT: some key screws in LOW STRESS areas like rx box lid can be swapped to QUALITY aluminum screws. Did this with AE RC10 screws back in racing days.
The alu shock towers allows me to run the body lower than with stock shock tower.

The alu battery tray is made from 0.5 mm alu plate, and is a lot lighter than stock plastic battery tray. It also put the battery lower than with the stock tray. I run 1300mah batterys, and there is not room for much bigger. But it’s possible to remove so metal from it.

The wireing could need some tidying, so there is some grams to shed there.

The proline commanche body is cut and quite light, with a low cog.

I run SSD portal covers up front and som lighter no name portal covers in the rear.

My TRX does do well in comps but there always room for improvements.
I find it to heavy on loose surfaces. If there’s grip it does very well.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I considered the same diet plan for my ten plus pound Defender. But then it’s the detail that made me love it in the first place. I bought a TRX4 Sport instead. Its everything it sounds like you want your Defender to be become. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GForceSS is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX on a diet - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CR-01 needs a diet mulepic Tamiya CR-01 5 07-06-2009 08:47 AM
betty's on a diet colonelangus Chit Chat 8 01-28-2008 03:25 PM
do you think she needs to go on a diet Will Chit Chat 8 07-30-2005 04:04 PM