Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Bronco Light kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Bronco Light kit?

I'm looking for a light kit for my Bronco and I want to see what the consensus is out there. There seems to be 3 that are the most common:
- Traxxas
- Powershift
- MyTrickRc

What are people running and have success with?

Cheers
Smonkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #2

Default Re: Bronco Light kit?

I built my own, it was a lot of work, but turned out great. Now that I have all the equipment, I can do a full light kit for about $30.

I even bought a water proof light switch and had a lasered mounting plate made for me (free from work).

LEDs, switch, connectors, wire, tools, etc all available on Amazon.

I used a #32 drill bit to hold the 3mm LED bulbs quite firmly (press fit).

I enjoyed the project, but it certainly takes time and some skill.

I also included some pictures of my friends Tactical Unit that I did for a wedding present (50 LEDs).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
niggemannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Depend in what you want.
The Traxxas Kit ist just all lights on if the rig is powered on. And way over priced... 40$ for a DC/DC converter that put Out 3v with 500mA ....
If you want functioning lights like break light, turn light ....
you can use any universal light controller you want. Just find a way to mount the LEDs in the place where they have to be. That's custom made or aftermarket parts. For my Defender i used the grc light buckets with an Universal light controller.
My T-REX life of a german Landrover

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk

Last edited by magic_yeti; 11-09-2018 at 05:56 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I got the 15 dollar hobbyking cheap light kit. Works really good had to custimize it a little bit but im happy with it. Most of the lights fit in the opeing holes in the bronco. For the headlights i had to drill a little hole and the kit came with a socket that fit into the little hole i drilled.

Headlights come on when i hit the accelecration, marker lights are on all the time, has brake light when you brake, and reverse when you go into reverse. I dont light the signal lights when you turn , i think thats just dumb, so i didnt use it but you can. I conformal coated the main control box and mounted it on the roof of the bronco body.

For 15 bucks i am extremly happy with it. and if something happens to it, ill just buy another kit down the road.
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83trekker83 View Post
I got the 15 dollar hobbyking cheap light kit. Works really good had to custimize it a little bit but im happy with it. Most of the lights fit in the opeing holes in the bronco. For the headlights i had to drill a little hole and the kit came with a socket that fit into the little hole i drilled.

Headlights come on when i hit the accelecration, marker lights are on all the time, has brake light when you brake, and reverse when you go into reverse. I dont light the signal lights when you turn , i think thats just dumb, so i didnt use it but you can. I conformal coated the main control box and mounted it on the roof of the bronco body.

For 15 bucks i am extremly happy with it. and if something happens to it, ill just buy another kit down the road.
here is the wiring

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Nice wiring. How did you Lee all the wires from moving around? Are the stuck to the body?
Derr429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:54 AM   #7

I just put the Traxxas light kit in my Bronco. I was surprised that it was pretty much plug and play. I also installed the traxxas bumper push bar and was shocked there were screw holes there waiting for it already as well.
Frankn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr429 View Post
Nice wiring. How did you Lee all the wires from moving around? Are the stuck to the body?
They are are all zip ties to the bronco little wire holders that came on the body,
Old 11-28-2018, 04:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
Depend in what you want.
The Traxxas Kit ist just all lights on if the rig is powered on. And way over priced... 40$ for a DC/DC converter that put Out 3v with 500mA ....
If you want functioning lights like break light, turn light ....
you can use any universal light controller you want. Just find a way to mount the LEDs in the place where they have to be. That's custom made or aftermarket parts. For my Defender i used the grc light buckets with an Universal light controller.
My T-REX life of a german Landrover

so this is the thing I don't understand about the traxxas light kit. it has nothing to do with the motions of the truck. it just "always on". what's the point of connecting it to the receiver? it need battery only.
pourMoneyIntoSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourMoneyIntoSea View Post
so this is the thing I don't understand about the traxxas light kit. it has nothing to do with the motions of the truck. it just "always on". what's the point of connecting it to the receiver? it need battery only.
The jst-plug of the Stock ESC ist direct connected to the battery. I think the reciever cable of the Traxxas Light Controller is only a Switch. so the Lights are only on if the ESC is on.

magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:40 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I installed the MyTrickRC light kit BUT I opted for the UF7 light controller in place of the DG1. This setup provides all the normal light functions like brake, turn and backup.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

my cheap hobbyking has brake lights and reverse and signal lights if you want. pretty happy with it considering how cheap it was.

also made some rock lights from led strip I had.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2019, 12:42 AM   #13

Does the traxxas light kit run off the main battery ? Or do you need a separate power source?
Franzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:06 AM   #14

I have the Traxxas kit in mine, it has been be disapointment considering the price. The polarity was wrong on the lead from the body to the power supply so It didn't work. Then the power supply died shortly after along with the ESC.

It comes with a power supply that runs off the aux plug on the XL5 ESC.
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bronco Light kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas TRX4 Bronco light kit kincer Electronics 4 10-21-2018 11:41 AM
Traxxas Bronco light kit HTFU Defender Traxxas TRX-4 0 06-25-2018 09:06 AM
Traxxas Official TRX-4 Bronco Light Kit ScoJac Traxxas TRX-4 9 06-11-2018 10:09 AM
Bronco light kit? HTFU Defender Traxxas TRX-4 2 05-15-2018 04:56 PM
light kit for the bronco m1009cucv Traxxas TRX-4 4 03-27-2018 02:22 PM