Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: spring preloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2018, 07:29 AM   #1

Default spring preloads

hello guys how you set the spring preloads of the shocks? according to the assembly manual of kit version, it is suggested that we set them like this

front left=9mm
front right=5mm
rear left=5mm
rear right=5mm

the extra preload at front left end is to compensate the weight of motor. but I find that the actual weight distribution is not so simple. the front end is slightly lighter than the rear end. the right side is slightly lighter than the left side. if you set all preloads to same value, you will find that the rear left end of the chassis drops the most (with body mounted, battery equipped, measure the front- and rear- end of rock slider on each side).

what should we set them? should we set them such that all four ends of the chassis drop to the same extent? or just follow the manual? thanks a lot.
pourMoneyIntoSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: spring preloads

At least for me personally I've gotten to the point that I just eyeball them. I read a lot of recommendations initially but every one of these rigs weighs "a little more here/ a little less there" due to different weight batteries, bumpers, suspension components, etc. I've also changed out springs so that affects it too. In terms of stock vehicle... I felt that all four needed more preload out of the box.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #3

I noticed that the preloads should be at least 3mm.

if you set <3mm, the spring is not long enough to touch both ends.

someone said as a crawler it should have softer suspension at the front and stiffer suspension at the rear.

one more question: which setting, more preloads or less preloads, would help preventing sideway flip?
Old 11-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
At least for me personally I've gotten to the point that I just eyeball them. I read a lot of recommendations initially but every one of these rigs weighs "a little more here/ a little less there" due to different weight batteries, bumpers, suspension components, etc. I've also changed out springs so that affects it too. In terms of stock vehicle... I felt that all four needed more preload out of the box.
mine is rtr version of defender. the battery is traxxas 8400. all stock. no mod / option.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I wouldn't worry to much about it, do you like how your truck sits? Then it's probably good. There isn't really a wrong answer except having no preload and maximum preload are both not good. I just eyeball so the truck sits mostly level with the rear slightly higher. I set the preload based on the amount of droop I want from static fully weighted ride hight. Too much preload and there won't be any useful droop. I set the rear much stiffer than the front. The stiffer rear set up helps keep the weight forward a bit longer on steep inclines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BadBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourMoneyIntoSea View Post
one more question: which setting, more preloads or less preloads, would help preventing sideway flip?

The only thing that will really help with side hilling is getting your center of gravity as low as possible. The spring preload won't compensate for a tall heavy body. There are tons of videos on YouTube about ways to do that very thing with the Defender though. Look into that and see which idea is doable for you.

BadBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBeard View Post
I wouldn't worry to much about it, do you like how your truck sits? Then it's probably good. There isn't really a wrong answer except having no preload and maximum preload are both not good. I just eyeball so the truck sits mostly level with the rear slightly higher. I set the preload based on the amount of droop I want from static fully weighted ride hight. Too much preload and there won't be any useful droop. I set the rear much stiffer than the front. The stiffer rear set up helps keep the weight forward a bit longer on steep inclines.

thanks. I set mine the same way as you. for stock defender, rear left end have the most preload and front right have the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBeard View Post
The only thing that will really help with side hilling is getting your center of gravity as low as possible. The spring preload won't compensate for a tall heavy body. There are tons of videos on YouTube about ways to do that very thing with the Defender though. Look into that and see which idea is doable for you.

ok I understand now. seems I should:

- remove some weight at the top portion of the shell
- add some weight near the wheels / rims
Old 11-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #8
RCC Addict

My #5 TRX4 chassis, which I built up from a pair of frame rails as a Sport with 2 speed and T-locks, is using all stock parts except SSD portal weights and brass lower spring retainers. I adjust my GTS shocks so that the upper retainer is just touching the spring without compressing it. I have tried various amounts of preload and no preload seems to work best for me. I'm currently running the new optional Traxxas .39 rate springs but I'm considering trying the .30 springs just to see what happens. I run 10wt in winter and 20wt in summer. This setup gives me about 40% static droop which is close to where I like to run the suspension but I'm hoping the .30 springs will get me closer to my preferred 50% droop.

The bottom line is that you can adjust the GTS shocks where they work best for you. The instructions are just a recommended starting point.

Last edited by Inspector86; 11-27-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
My #5 TRX4 chassis, which I built up from a pair of frame rails as a Sport with 2 speed and T-locks, is using all stock parts except SSD portal weights and brass lower spring retainers. I adjust my GTS shocks so that the upper retainer is just touching the spring without compressing it. I have tried various amounts of preload and no preload seems to work best for me. I'm currently running the new optional Traxxas .39 rate springs but I'm considering trying the .30 springs just to see what happens. I run 10wt in winter and 20wt in summer. This setup gives me about 40% static droop which is close to where I like to run the suspension but I'm hoping the .30 springs will get me closer to my preferred 50% droop.

The bottom line is that you can adjust the GTS shocks where they work best for you. The instructions are just a recommended starting point.
thanks. I have the preference for softer suspension too.

spring preloads - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting RTR Single Spring to Dual Spring KIT Style cpu77 Axial Yeti XL 4 02-06-2017 08:45 AM
MNRCRC Spring Fling Spring/Summer series comp #1 freetimecrawler Minnesota 8 04-19-2010 04:40 PM
MNRCRC Spring Fling Spring/Summer season opener freetimecrawler Competitions 0 04-05-2009 01:16 AM
MNRCRC Spring Fling Spring/Summer season opener freetimecrawler Minnesota 31 04-06-2008 11:27 PM