RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   BowHouse Injection Molded Low CG Battery Tray at RPP (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/604524-bowhouse-injection-molded-low-cg-battery-tray-rpp.html)

durok 12-11-2018 07:56 PM

BowHouse Injection Molded Low CG Battery Tray at RPP

Sweet... this is just what I needed this holiday season, another reason to make the jump to a TRX-4 Defender...

It's their first injection-molded part (nylon) and will fit 158mm long by 53mm wide LiPo packs with the included XL rear chassis brace!

I know the Defender is tippy as is, but I have a brand-new 6000mAh 55C 4S pack that I bought by accident at a great price for another vehicle that it didn't end up fitting.

Damn, now I need another Holmes Revolver 1800kv motor and Mamba X combo as well.

Thing is gonna crawl for days...

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/bow-btx-0060j.htm

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-cdee...756760.JPG?c=2

brimdogg 12-11-2018 09:50 PM

Re: BowHouse Injection Molded Low CG Battery Tray at RPP

I am now VERY glad I waited to get a new tray!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

o0wiz0o 12-15-2018 02:44 PM

That looks much cleaner than the original I have. :-)

new2rocks 12-21-2018 12:07 AM

Thanks for sharing this. We’re very excited to be able to offer this as our first injection molded part, and we’re very happy with how they came out. “thumbsup”

brimdogg 12-21-2018 12:10 AM

Mine will hopefully be here in the morning, will post up (if I remember) once it's in my Bronco.

HumboldtEF 12-22-2018 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2rocks (Post 5893926)
Thanks for sharing this. We’re very excited to be able to offer this as our first injection molded part, and we’re very happy with how they came out. “thumbsup”

Yeah thats exciting!

I'm curious to hear if there are any big differences going from 3D printing to injection molded plastic? I'm guessing parts might not need to be as thick?

mewalsh100 12-26-2018 06:54 PM

I just scored mine and got it installed.

rm25x 12-27-2018 03:06 AM

I like it so far in mine. Just wish it would have came with the battery strap too but that’s just nitpicking. I didn’t think about it and had to try & find one after it arrived.

mewalsh100 12-27-2018 05:26 AM

Does anyone know why/when you would use that extra support piece it ships with? Mine installed perfectly without using it.

brimdogg 12-27-2018 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mewalsh100 (Post 5895228)
Does anyone know why/when you would use that extra support piece it ships with? Mine installed perfectly without using it.

If you want to use bigger batteries, I believe it is for that purpose.

JatoTheRipper 12-27-2018 06:49 AM

How much does this tray actually drop the battery?

GA Dawg 12-27-2018 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5895238)
How much does this tray actually drop the battery?

Here's a pic that I shameless stole.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/wp-content...as-TRX-4-2.jpg

JatoTheRipper 12-27-2018 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Dawg (Post 5895239)
Here's a pic that I shameless stole.

That comes from Big Squid and in all honestly they have no idea what they are doing so I take everything they say with a grain of salt. They are like "The Onion" of the RC world. I mean look at the yellow lines they drew. They seem to have arbitrarily thrown the lines onto the images. WTH are they referencing with the lines? Take the Bowhouse image for example. The yellow line starts above the battery tray and then ends up partway through the battery at the back end. :lmao:

But that image does show how the tray has been moved down so thank you. It also seems to move the weight rearward and that's not necessarily a good thing either. It's a compromise which seems to always be the case on these crawlers with limited space. I might be in for one to try it.

brimdogg 12-27-2018 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5895242)
That comes from Big Squid and in all honestly they have no idea what they are doing so I take everything they say with a grain of salt. They are like "The Onion" of the RC world. I mean look at the yellow lines they drew. They seem to have arbitrarily thrown the lines onto the images. WTH are they referencing with the lines? Take the Bowhouse image for example. The yellow line starts above the battery tray and then ends up partway through the battery at the back end. :lmao:

But that image does show how the tray has been moved down so thank you. It also seems to move the weight rearward and that's not necessarily a good thing either. It's a compromise which seems to always be the case on these crawlers with limited space. I might be in for one to try it.

I'll try to take before and after when I install. Hopefully that will be today.

brimdogg 12-27-2018 08:18 AM

So I forgot to put a battery in before taking the stock tray out.
It does shift the battery back about an inch, and the battery gets pitched at an angle.
The injection molded one comes with the replacement chassis brace, so that you can still run a full size battery.
I think I'll like it, as it makes running thick batteries easier, due to using a Velcro strap instead of the normal hold down.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5832bebf02.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...816b8148ad.jpg

sgtlt 12-27-2018 09:00 AM

I just ordered on, hope they make a difference, lol

JatoTheRipper 12-27-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brimdogg (Post 5895258)
So I forgot to put a battery in before taking the stock tray out.
It does shift the battery back about an inch, and the battery gets pitched at an angle.
The injection molded one comes with the replacement chassis brace, so that you can still run a full size battery.
I think I'll like it, as it makes running thick batteries easier, due to using a Velcro strap instead of the normal hold down.

Thanks for posting the photos!

Ugh! The stock strap is the best part. Easiest to use battery hold down ever. Had I known that I probably wouldn't have ordered one. I have one on the way, but it might be for sale...

svt923 12-27-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5895242)

The pic is originally from Bowhouse, Big Squid just slaps their watermark on everything. The yellow line is a reference mark for the top of the frame rails.

JatoTheRipper 12-27-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5895294)
The pic is originally from Bowhouse, Big Squid just slaps their watermark on everything. The yellow line is a reference mark for the top of the frame rails.

Ah I see that now. Thanks.

And, yes, BS does put their name on everything.

lilws6 12-27-2018 05:01 PM

I 3d printed something similar in my truck. Had to beef up some supports since it’s only pla but it does the job. I’m glad to see a molded version now though as if my printed one breaks I’d get the molded one in a heartbeat. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgtlt 12-30-2018 03:42 PM

Installed mine today. very easy installation. the battery does sit a lot lower. won't know till tuesday how much it helps

SlidePanda 11-07-2019 08:05 AM

Hey - I'm in the midst of a TRX kit build and I'm installing one of these as part of the initial build. The version I got is the injection molded, and it comes with a 2nd part, as backet for... well I don't know what.

It's not part of the original 3D printed version and doesn't seem needed for the install. But I'm not a fan of *I dunno parts* so I'm trying to figure it out

You can see the bracket in the product shots here:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/bowhous...waAnUSEALw_wcB

Anyone know? I'm assuming it's not needed for a TRX-4... but why included it and have the costs associated with it then

brimdogg 11-07-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlidePanda (Post 5975674)
Hey - I'm in the midst of a TRX kit build and I'm installing one of these as part of the initial build. The version I got is the injection molded, and it comes with a 2nd part, as backet for... well I don't know what.

It's not part of the original 3D printed version and doesn't seem needed for the install. But I'm not a fan of *I dunno parts* so I'm trying to figure it out

You can see the bracket in the product shots here:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/bowhous...waAnUSEALw_wcB

Anyone know? I'm assuming it's not needed for a TRX-4... but why included it and have the costs associated with it then

It replaced the rear cross member if I remember correctly. Gives more clearance for full size packs.

SlidePanda 11-07-2019 08:33 AM

Ah, I suspected it might be a brace, but my line of thought was it was a supplemental one, not a replacement.

Taking a look, you're 100% correct. The bolt spacing is the same as the rear cross member, and my 5000 mah pack won't clear the stock cross member.

Thanks!