Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: c0bra’s trx4 bronco build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default c0bra’s trx4 bronco build

Like the tittle says I finally bit the bullet and bought a traxxas. Despite not agreeing with traxxas on the legal side of things, which I won’t mention my opinions on, I finally caved in and got a trx4 Bronco. I’ve always liked the look of these since they were released, but the long arm kit being available just made me want one even more.

So 6 days ago I bit the bullet and picked up a trx4!

I finally ran it for the first time on Friday since I borrowed a nimh battery from a coworker since I don’t have a single battery with the stupid traxxas id connector. The thing was not running right, I’m assuming it’s my own fault since I didn’t read the manual and I’m not familiar with the esc and all of the functions on the transmitter. After work that day I went to my lhs and picked up the lift kit for this thing!

Now this build may be in the wrong section so please move it if it is. I am not going to be building it as a full on scale rig. It’s going to be a bit of a mud truck inspired mall crawler. It is going to be loosing the 2 speed transmission as I’ll be locking it in high gear, not sure how yet. I’ll also be locking the rear diff, most likely with a locked up spool. I will be keeping the selectable front diff and the fourth channel will be used to power a warm 8274 winch that I don’t have for it yet.

Other than the 1 servo for the front diff, all of the traxxas electronics are going. It’s getting a sensored brushless system (not sure what as of yet, and I’m not a fan of sensorless), servo is being replaced with some sort of savox or protek, and the rc/tx will be replaced with a sanwa mt44 and rx481 receiver.

Other plans that I haven’t mentioned are ssd bumpers front and rear, powershift rc light kit, ssd or vp 2.2 rims, some sort of ci foams and some sort of 2.2 pit bull tires. Ill also be replacing the plastic portal cases with either locked up or ssd cases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2018, 11:41 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: c0bra’s trx4 bronco build

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
Like the tittle says I finally bit the bullet and bought a traxxas. Despite not agreeing with traxxas on the legal side of things, which I won’t mention my opinions on, I finally caved in and got a trx4 Bronco. I’ve always liked the look of these since they were released, but the long arm kit being available just made me want one even more.

So 6 days ago I bit the bullet and picked up a trx4!

I finally ran it for the first time on Friday since I borrowed a nimh battery from a coworker since I don’t have a single battery with the stupid traxxas id connector. The thing was not running right, I’m assuming it’s my own fault since I didn’t read the manual and I’m not familiar with the esc and all of the functions on the transmitter. After work that day I went to my lhs and picked up the lift kit for this thing!

Now this build may be in the wrong section so please move it if it is. I am not going to be building it as a full on scale rig. It’s going to be a bit of a mud truck inspired mall crawler. It is going to be loosing the 2 speed transmission as I’ll be locking it in high gear, not sure how yet. I’ll also be locking the rear diff, most likely with a locked up spool. I will be keeping the selectable front diff and the fourth channel will be used to power a warm 8274 winch that I don’t have for it yet.

Other than the 1 servo for the front diff, all of the traxxas electronics are going. It’s getting a sensored brushless system (not sure what as of yet, and I’m not a fan of sensorless), servo is being replaced with some sort of savox or protek, and the rc/tx will be replaced with a sanwa mt44 and rx481 receiver.

Other plans that I haven’t mentioned are ssd bumpers front and rear, powershift rc light kit, ssd or vp 2.2 rims, some sort of ci foams and some sort of 2.2 pit bull tires. Ill also be replacing the plastic portal cases with either locked up or ssd cases

I see you have already removed one wiper blade as well. lol

Welcome to team Bronco!

Will be following your progress.
VaOldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:18 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaOldSchool View Post
I see you have already removed one wiper blade as well. lol

Welcome to team Bronco!

Will be following your progress.

Actually I don’t know how that was removed, it somehow broke off sitting on its own 4 wheels

Old 12-31-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I’ve got the front axle back on the truck with a savox 1230 servo in order to handle 2.2s. I’ve also picked up a castle slate 2850kv combo which will be run on 3s. I’m going to try the stock pinion first

Ive rigged the transmission to stay in high gear as well.

I have also ordered a locked up spool and f/r link mounts. I will also be ordering locked up portal and diff covers for both the front and rear

Old 01-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

does anyone know for sure if the locked up aluminum portal covers will fit their steel portal knuckles and steel rear drive housings?

Old 01-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Finally an update!

It is now sitting on its own suspension once again and its new wheels!

The front and rear axle have almost all of the upgrades locked up rc offers. It’s got the locked up diff covers, fi spool in the rear, link mounts f/r, c hubs, and steel portal cases, except the covers are aluminum.

As far as electronics, it’s got a savox 1230 with an axial clamping horn, castle mamba esc and 2850kv crawler motor. Receiver is an airtronics rx481. This will probably mostly be run on 3s

Old 03-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I have the rear bumper coming in on monday for this and will hopefully have time to get the electronics for this thing finished so i can run it on saturday. its supposed to be 71 here!

c0bra’s trx4 bronco build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's TRX4 Bronco Build bilinvic Traxxas TRX-4 107 02-28-2020 05:32 PM
c0bra’s d4 rwd rc4wd hilux drift build! c0bra Non Crawler RC's 41 01-22-2020 10:03 PM
c0bra’s f350 build- back from the dead! c0bra Axial SCX10 II 34 03-03-2019 12:10 PM
Scoobs TRX4 Bronco Build Scoobarooo Traxxas TRX-4 7 07-16-2018 10:14 AM