Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: servo relocation problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default servo relocation problem

I recently installed a yeah racing bumper/servo mount on my sport. I figured the added weight up front would be a good thing during climbs. My issue however is that after mounting the servo up front and flipping the servo horn 180 degrees from stock the drag link and tie rod hit during full suspension compression. Also the drag link rubs on the frame a bit. Has anyone else relocated their steering servo to one of these weighted bumper mounts and if so have you a solution to eliminate any rubbing while still using a full 45 degrees of throw? I'll try and post a few pics later.
Attached Images

Last edited by sid lives; 12-27-2018 at 12:04 PM.
sid lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2018, 05:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: servo relocation problem

I had that issue on my scx10.2 wen i relocated with the servo/bumper mount. I used a rodend ball to drop the draglink just a tad n it helped alot. I know it 2 diff brands of truck, but i think itll help your issue

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
I had that issue on my scx10.2 wen i relocated with the servo/bumper mount. I used a rodend ball to drop the draglink just a tad n it helped alot. I know it 2 diff brands of truck, but i think itll help your issue

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Unfortunately if I drop the draglink it hits the tierod earlier in the suspension droop and I cant raise it because it's hitting the frame rail. I'm starting to think my only option is to mount the servo back in it's original location which I really don't want to do.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Might need a longer servo arm. To put the drag link back above the steering link. It’s way forward causing it to change the angle of throw. Might at least get it away from hitting frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
Might need a longer servo arm. To put the drag link back above the steering link. It’s way forward causing it to change the angle of throw. Might at least get it away from hitting frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I run a longer servo horn the two links hit each other when the suspension compresses to the point of powering out my servo ( hitec 7950)
Old 12-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Maybe the LockedUpRC one is a better choice?

TRX4 Aluminum Servo Mount - replaces Traxxas 8239

It's aluminum for stiffness, which is what is really needed- weight would be better added on the axles(c-hubs,portal covers, etc)for lower C.O.G.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Maybe the LockedUpRC one is a better choice?

TRX4 Aluminum Servo Mount - replaces Traxxas 8239

It's aluminum for stiffness, which is what is really needed- weight would be better added on the axles(c-hubs,portal covers, etc)for lower C.O.G.
I agree with the lower C.O.G but I was looking for something to keep the front end down in steep climbs. This mount sticks out past the front axle by an inch or two but I'm still trying to decide if the forward weight "outweighs" the negative effect of the sprung weight.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I also thought I read that although giving you a weight advantage while driving straight up/ onto obstacles... that the benefit might possibly be negated in off-camber/ side-hill situations. I'm guessing due to it being relatively high up on the chassis... idk.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Just curious if you could lower the tie rod to below the lower mount that would allow you to mount the outboard end of the drag link in between the mounts where the tie rod formerly was. Just a thought.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:29 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Just curious if you could lower the tie rod to below the lower mount that would allow you to mount the outboard end of the drag link in between the mounts where the tie rod formerly was. Just a thought.
I thought about this but the knuckle mounts tapper in at an angle which would screw up the toe and would require a change in length to my tierod.
I guess my big take away from this is this mount was poorly vetted before being produced and should be avoided if you plan on using the servo mount and your suspension at the same time.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

That's a bummer man. Maybe you could clearance the c-channel of the underside of the frame a tiny bit? Anyway, drag link alignment, length, geometry, etc all being critical on a CMS set up, I plan on sticking with the original servo location that Traxxas engineered. Companies like Traxxas do a lot of R&D on this sort of thing and for something critical like this, I'm not going to second guess them on a whim. You can add weight where needed in far better locations IMHO. I've looked at a number of aluminum, direct replacement servo mounts at this point, particularly since I just threw a 400 ounce capable servo in the Sporto. Having had great success with LockedUpRC products, I plan on purchasing theirs.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

servo relocation problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo relocation and center battery mount! Shawns303 Axial SCX10 II 15 09-04-2019 08:30 AM
Center Servo Relocation jimkill Axial SCX10 II 3 01-06-2018 07:27 PM
Battery Relocation Problem.... has anyone attempted this before? Ghost Koi Axial SCX-10 14 02-25-2016 07:41 PM
Steering servo relocation question Interceptor Axial SCX-10 11 11-18-2014 06:55 PM
rc4wd servo relocation boogz General Crawlers 0 09-03-2014 11:40 AM