Notices

Thread: TRX-4 Bronco on the way, what else do I need to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: TRX-4 Bronco on the way, what else do I need to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I just installed a hi-torque servo in my Sport that’s capable of 400 oz at 7.4v. I would like to make the best of it. Options were to buy a $22 Castle BEC, or a 1080 ESC with program card for $40. Having had experience with Traxxas electrics, I opted for the 1080 ESC which has been a proven commodity on the forums here. It’s switchable from 6-7.4v, with no need for a seperate BEC. It’s therefore a cleaner / easier option. No extra wires to route and sort, no hunting for a good place to mount a BEC out of harm and waters way, etc, etc, etc.

If the box stock rig works for you, that’s great. Others enjoy the process of improving their rigs and the respective performance. It’s not your $, it’s not your rig. Why let it chafe you!?
Because you cant set endpoints with the sport, how is your new servo working out? Just dont keep the steering cranked for any long time? I bought my kid a sport and didnt realize no end points can be done. Dont have money to buy new radio oranything else special for it,.
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #22
RCC Addict

I have the stock rx/tx in my p4de n ive got the powerhd 20kg servo. Cant set endpoints on it either. But i havent had any issues with the steering. I can go full throw either way n the servo doesnt whine or strain at all. Im sure the steering angle is different degrees between the 2, just givin an example. Hope this helps any at all

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:17 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I just installed a hi-torque servo in my Sport that’s capable of 400 oz at 7.4v. I would like to make the best of it. Options were to buy a $22 Castle BEC, or a 1080 ESC with program card for $40. Having had experience with Traxxas electrics, I opted for the 1080 ESC which has been a proven commodity on the forums here. It’s switchable from 6-7.4v, with no need for a seperate BEC. It’s therefore a cleaner / easier option. No extra wires to route and sort, no hunting for a good place to mount a BEC out of harm and waters way, etc, etc, etc.

If the box stock rig works for you, that’s great. Others enjoy the process of improving their rigs and the respective performance. It’s not your $, it’s not your rig. Why let it chafe you!?

Just be aware that if you run the HW1080 at 7.4v to drive the steering servo, you will also be sending that same 7.4v to the stock receiver which is rated for 6v. This is one reason I like the Savox 1230SG becasue it is rated at 500oz/in at 6v. Just sayin!

Last edited by Inspector86; 12-30-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

The Bronco arrived today, I’m very pleased. Parts are going to be here Monday to mod it, along with the XT60 to Deans adapter I ordered, so it’ll be sitting until then.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:19 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post
The Bronco arrived today, I’m very pleased. Parts are going to be here Monday to mod it, along with the XT60 to Deans adapter I ordered, so it’ll be sitting until then.
Why not just run xt60 and be done with it? Dean's are fine until you go xt60 and realize how craptastic they really are.

Mess with it in stock form for at least a battery. I had mine out for a few hours and enjoyed it. Before the next trip I tossed in a cheap 350 (claimed) oz servo and left the rest stock and it is so much better with just that simple addition.

I did yank the stock ginormous body off, lost the huge bumpers and stuffed a set of 2.2's on it but the electronics are holding up well.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:20 AM   #26
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Just be aware that if you run the HW1080 at 7.4v to drive the steering servo, you will also be sending that same 7.4v to the stock receiver which is rated for 6v. This is one reason I like the Savox 1230SG becasue it is rated at 500oz/in at 6v. Just sayin!
I’m curious as to how the receiver is going to hold up as well. The sport is a good one to try it in since that rx/tx is low tier.

Let us know how it goes Walsh!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:40 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Why not just run xt60 and be done with it? Dean's are fine until you go xt60 and realize how craptastic they really are.

Mess with it in stock form for at least a battery. I had mine out for a few hours and enjoyed it. Before the next trip I tossed in a cheap 350 (claimed) oz servo and left the rest stock and it is so much better with just that simple addition.

I did yank the stock ginormous body off, lost the huge bumpers and stuffed a set of 2.2's on it but the electronics are holding up well.
Four batteries and two other rigs with Deans on them already. The $4 adapter to run the HW 1080 without converting now made sense. Any Bronco specific batteries will be XT60. If I swap my Bomber to the HW 1080 then I’ll do XT60 everywhere. The Bomber is still running the Axial RTR ESC, but it’s never given me problem one and the truck crawls great the a Traxxas 21T motor.

I’m going to sell the Traxxas ESC and steering servo on the eBay or here for whatever they fetch. I don’t see a need to run them if I’m not keeping them.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Yes. Please, let W.S. Deans die and all the copies can go along with them. Shittiest connector that stuck around way too long simply because nobody decided to make a competing connector for so long.

As WT said, drive the Bronco out of the box stock for a while.

The first thing I did was to replace the stock wheels and tires because I love any excuse to buy new wheels and tires. But, honestly, the stock tires aren't bad. The stock servo is underpowered and instead of adding an external BEC, which I can't stand, I switched out the stock ESC to a HobbyWing WP 1080. I bumped up that ESC's interal BEC to give the stock servo more power. It definitely woke it up, but then soon after it stripped a gear internally so I upgraded to a Savox servo and Yeah Racing servo mount.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
I’m curious as to how the receiver is going to hold up as well. The sport is a good one to try it in since that rx/tx is low tier.

Let us know how it goes Walsh!
I should know later today. Got everything set to go and going to try and get out for a bit tonight. Worst case, I by another Spektrum Rx and bind the rig to my DX4C. I was trying to avoid that so I could have a loaner rig on hand, but it is what it is.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

http://traxxas.com/pdfs/2217_2228_22...24_Binding.pdf
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Welp, I ran the rig for about 35 minutes at 7.4v. Nothing went up in smoke or caught fire.

But, I did notice the throttle felt super glitchy on start up. Like on/off instant. Played around with the 1080 program settings for start up/punch, etc. Went back out and it was still feeling like chit. Thought it might be down to the RTR Tx - It just felt like a huge dead-band on initial pull then wham, off to the races.

For shits and giggles, I went back in and turned the BEC voltage down to 6.0v and headed back out. That seemed to solve the problem. Not sure if the 7.4v was just making the Rx glitchy or what. I didn't notice anything odd with steering though. Anyway, I guess I'll be running at 6.0v. I really want to keep the RTR Tx/Rx so I have a loaner on hand for my brother and friends. On the plus side, it's a fairly light rig and I'm still getting 337oz torque out of the servo at 6v.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Default TRX-4 Bronco on the way, what else do I need to buy

I’m running 333 oz in mine with aluminum wheels and slightly bigger tires and it seems to be plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #33

New to the trx4 as well and have used aluminum motor mounts in my tamiya cars. Would this be a good upgrade?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yeah-Racing-...53.m1438.l2649
DaveCrawls35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #34
Gold Star Baby!

My plastic mount has been working just fine for me, traxxas plastic is actually pretty good but with that being said a metal plate will be more stable. I know of a couple of others that had issues with the stock one however.

If you aren’t having any problems keeping a good mesh then it may not be necessary at this point.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-4 Bronco on the way, what else do I need to buy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 bronco needs some help! Jameshnsd Electronics 10 08-25-2018 10:28 PM
TRX Bronco Exocaged Traxxas TRX-4 13 07-20-2017 07:16 AM