Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 Bronco on the way, what else do I need to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2018, 10:38 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default TRX-4 Bronco on the way, what else do I need to buy

I ordered the truck today, now I need to figure out what mods are mandatory to enjoy it. Along with the truck I purchased a HW 1080 ESC, I figured it’ll be better than the Traxxas one and has more amps to run a better steering servo without a separate BEC. I need to select a steering servo, I’d prefer to go budget but will buy something like a Savox 1230 ($70) if needed. I’m used to the hitek 7955 on my Bomber, so I don’t want it totally underpowered. Obviously a metal servo horn to match. I want to get a smaller battery to mount up front, I’ll convert to Deans plugs like my other rigs. I was looking at the $20 Holmes motor, but I’ve had great luck with the Traxxas 21T on my Bomber so I’ll run it for a while.

Other than a servo, metal horn, and smaller 3s battery, what else do I need right away? Or what spare parts should I have on hand?
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2018, 10:41 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: TRX-4 Bronco on the way, what else do I need to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post
I ordered the truck today, now I need to figure out what mods are mandatory to enjoy it. Along with the truck I purchased a HW 1080 ESC, I figured it’ll be better than the Traxxas one and has more amps to run a better steering servo without a separate BEC. I need to select a steering servo, I’d prefer to go budget but will buy something like a Savox 1230 ($70) if needed. I’m used to the hitek 7955 on my Bomber, so I don’t want it totally underpowered. Obviously a metal servo horn to match. I want to get a smaller battery to mount up front, I’ll convert to Deans plugs like my other rigs. I was looking at the $20 Holmes motor, but I’ve had great luck with the Traxxas 21T on my Bomber so I’ll run it for a while.

Other than a servo, metal horn, and smaller 3s battery, what else do I need right away? Or what spare parts should I have on hand?
The Holmes motor is great to have on hand when the stock goes out (it will).
I have been happy with the 20kg servos that you can readily find on Amazon and eBay.
Beyond that, the sky's the limit for add-ons, but nothing I'd say is required.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nothing really needed to enjoy it. Just get out and use it. If something breaks upgrade it at that time. I just put my 2nd 1080 ESC with a HH Trailmaster 21T in my Bomber and it's a blast. I'm also running a 1080 on my 8x8 and it was good it's first run out.
jamesbernatchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post

The micro servos don't like any voltage over 6 volts if you decide to try to throw more power to the steering servo.
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
The micro servos don't like any voltage over 6 volts if you decide to try to throw more power to the steering servo.
Looks like the 1080 can be set for 6.0 or 7.4 volts, I’ll try to match the servo selection to good torque and speed at 6.0 volts. I think the Castle BEC’s in my Bomber and Yeti are set at 6.0 volts to keep from ruining the stock axial servo operating the 2 speed kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
The Holmes motor is great to have on hand when the stock goes out (it will).
I have been happy with the 20kg servos that you can readily find on Amazon and eBay.
Beyond that, the sky's the limit for add-ons, but nothing I'd say is required.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
For $20 I’ll get the HH motor as a spare for the Bomber or TRX-4. I’ve had exceptional service from the $19 Traxxas 21T 550 motor in my Bomber for the past almost 3 years with the stock Axial ESC. I don’t get it wet, but it’s certainly used in dusty conditions. My usual sessions are full 3s 5000 packs lasting 2+ hours each, mostly technical crawling but some bashing too. I do have underdrive gearing and a 2 speed to take the load off, but it has survived.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:47 AM   #6

I would definitely install a Castle Creations BEC PRO 20A SWITCHING REGULATOR to run the servo and other accessories.
jahlion247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:09 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

This one has been working well for me... 3S 3500 mAh 30c Lipo - Helios RC

I’m running a castle brushless combo and I’ll be out for 3 hours on one pack without hitting the lipo cutoff.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 12-29-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
This one has been working well for me... 3S 3500 mAh 30c Lipo - Helios RC

I’m running a castle brushless combo and I’ll be out for 3 hours on one pack without hitting the lipo cutoff.
Does that fit in the front tray or the main tray?
Old 12-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

Front tray. There are some indents in the tray that it sits on top of, but it fits. A little dremeling gets it lower.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 12-29-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I honestly dont know why you people buy something RTR then ask what you need to buy. Its RTR, and as for buying a new ESC and motor without even trying the stock one is simply laughable. The xl5hv is a great ESC as is the motor, I've had mine for over a year and am.only just looking at replacing the 21t with another. Even my steering servo has been fine as I'm not one of idiots who thinks that a good servo means you can turn hour wheels whilst stationary. I don't know why most of you don't just buy kits from the off
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
I honestly dont know why you people buy something RTR then ask what you need to buy. Its RTR, and as for buying a new ESC and motor without even trying the stock one is simply laughable. The xl5hv is a great ESC as is the motor, I've had mine for over a year and am.only just looking at replacing the 21t with another. Even my steering servo has been fine as I'm not one of idiots who thinks that a good servo means you can turn hour wheels whilst stationary. I don't know why most of you don't just buy kits from the off

The only good thing about the xl5hv is that it comes with the truck.

RTR =/= ready to kick ass. For a lot of us 125 oz of torque and an esc with a 1amp BEC just isn’t going to cut it. If it makes you happy then hey good for you but no point in getting all salty about someone you don’t even know having an upgrade esc on hand for his new truck.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Most of the RTR vehicles have a known weak link somewhere, as a new buyer I would rather have the parts on hand to fix that weak link immediately than having to go to the LHS or wait for a package of parts in the mail. If the servo is weak and needs upgrading and the new servo will overload the stock BEC it makes perfect sense to have something to replace it with. I could go Castle BEC like both of my other rigs, but I wanted to keep this one simpler so the HW 1080 ESC with more BEC capability for a few bucks more makes sense. I will put the stock ESC up for sale, so the upgrade won’t cost much.

This is my third RC vehicle this go around, my previous two were both RTR and needed something replaced in the first 3 battery packs (3s). I would’ve purchased kits, but they weren’t available when I got my Axial rigs, and the Traxxas TRX-4 Kit is identical to RTR but without a body (the RTR Bronco is the cheap way to buy the body).

Your comment about idiots who turn the wheels while stationary is ridiculous. Power steering in my 1:1 vehicle will turn the tires when stationary, I don’t see why that’s an unrealistic ask on a scaler.

Last edited by BroncoAZ; 12-29-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #13

Give it a shot out of the box for a minute. It’s solid.

Plan to have some upgrade parts ready and add them in when something breaks or you notice a shortcoming.

Number one in my book is a steering servo.... I was lucky and my Bronco steering service lasted almost 2 minutes. Garbage.
tenpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:

What is laughable is someone criticizing others for requesting upgrade advice, while having no direct knowledge of the upgrades being discussed. The XL5 is most assuredly not a "great" ESC! If I'm being very optimistic, it is at best an OK ESC. With a 1 amp BEC the XL5 is weak which Traxxas is very aware of and is why they released the 2262 BEC as a crutch for it. Add any sort of extra electrical load and the XL5 overheats rapidly, ask me how I know. For the same cost of the XL5 you can buy the HW1080 which still is not a great ESC but it is orders of magnitude better than the XL5. If you are happy with your weak 1 amp XL5, then I'm happy for you. But there are so much better options out there for the same money that you are missing out on. If your stock electronics are in fact a year old as you claim, trust me, you will be replacing them soon and I hope you are not so closed minded as to ignore the HW1080, HH Trailmaster Sport 550 21T and maybe the Savox 1230SG as replacements.

Last edited by Inspector86; 12-30-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I just installed a hi-torque servo in my Sport that’s capable of 400 oz at 7.4v. I would like to make the best of it. Options were to buy a $22 Castle BEC, or a 1080 ESC with program card for $40. Having had experience with Traxxas electrics, I opted for the 1080 ESC which has been a proven commodity on the forums here. It’s switchable from 6-7.4v, with no need for a seperate BEC. It’s therefore a cleaner / easier option. No extra wires to route and sort, no hunting for a good place to mount a BEC out of harm and waters way, etc, etc, etc.

If the box stock rig works for you, that’s great. Others enjoy the process of improving their rigs and the respective performance. It’s not your $, it’s not your rig. Why let it chafe you!?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I just installed a hi-torque servo in my Sport that’s capable of 400 oz at 7.4v. I would like to make the best of it. Options were to buy a $22 Castle BEC, or a 1080 ESC with program card for $40. Having had experience with Traxxas electrics, I opted for the 1080 ESC which has been a proven commodity on the forums here. It’s switchable from 6-7.4v, with no need for a seperate BEC. It’s therefore a cleaner / easier option. No extra wires to route and sort, no hunting for a good place to mount a BEC out of harm and waters way, etc, etc, etc.

If the box stock rig works for you, that’s great. Others enjoy the process of improving their rigs and the respective performance. It’s not your $, it’s not your rig. Why let it chafe you!?
I would pass on this advice and go for the addition of a good BEC. Especially when the electronic options start adding up.

Mounting the BEC is very easy and an enjoyable experience. It's not hard to hide wires and make the electronic layout look good.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:09 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahlion247 View Post
I would pass on this advice and go for the addition of a good BEC. Especially when the electronic options start adding up.

Mounting the BEC is very easy and an enjoyable experience. It's not hard to hide wires and make the electronic layout look good.
Very familiar with wiring, installing and mounting BEC’s. Have them on several of my other vehicles. If I decide to add a bunch of other options, I’ll install a BEC at that point. Having said that, I’m still at a better starting point to do that with the 1080 esc than with the Traxxas esc.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Very familiar with wiring, installing and mounting BEC’s. Have them on several of my other vehicles. If I decide to add a bunch of other options, I’ll install a BEC at that point. Having said that, I’m still at a better starting point to do that with the 1080 esc than with the Traxxas esc.
Might as well add the BEC now if you plan on adding one later. Which will happen soon because scalers add options to there rig at a staggering pace.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:42 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahlion247 View Post
Might as well add the BEC now if you plan on adding one later. Which will happen soon because scalers add options to there rig at a staggering pace.
Be honest, you own stock in Castle don’t you!?

Also, I didn’t say I planned to add one later. I said I would add one If and when I deemed it necessary. I literally have one sitting in my electronics parts drawer. I have no worries about running the servo and a couple light bars off the 1080 either.

Last edited by mewalsh100; 12-30-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:54 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I’ve got the Kit, my son has the Sport. Replace the steering servo ASAP - his died at an all day RC trail event and made for a frustrating day (didn’t have a spare with me).

I’d recommend:
- cheap $20 servo from the “what’s the new cheap servo hotness” thread. that’s all we run and they are fine
- Traxxas metal servo horn for TRX4 (it’s like $7)
- HW1080

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-4 Bronco on the way, what else do I need to buy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 bronco needs some help! Jameshnsd Electronics 10 08-25-2018 10:28 PM
TRX Bronco Exocaged Traxxas TRX-4 13 07-20-2017 07:16 AM