Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Proline Hyrax G8 or Predator? Need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 06:23 PM   #1

Default Proline Hyrax G8 or Predator? Need help!

Hello! I’m new to this site so please bare with me! I know rhis is probably a conserversey question, but im looking for so help. I just purchased the new TRX4 limited edition...I’m liking by the way! But after running it a bit and reading what posts I could find... I know I want new tires so I have talked myself into either the Hyrax G8 or Predator. I live it Katy Tx so it does get hot and also humid. So I was thinking G8 with the proline dual foam or the Predator with the lil nova dual 4.75 medinum. But I have read too many posts and now I’m stumped. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Insanehobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Proline Hyrax G8 or Predator? Need help!

First, Welcome to RCC. As for tires, believe it or not the stock tires are not bad and if you install a quality foam like CI they work even better. So before buying new tires, I would recommend adding portal weights which will improve your tire traction while also lowering the COG. I prefer the SSD portal weights but there are tons of weights out there to choose from. Second, I would plan on replacing the steering servo along with a metal servo horn such as the Traxxas #8247x. The Savox 1230sg or 1231sg are both high torque 6v rated servos making them compatible with the stock TRX4 electronics which also run at 6v. Finally, I would replace the stock XL5 ESC which is weak at 1amp output and upgrade to the HW1080 ESC. With the above upgrades you will have a very nice running and dependable rig. I currently have 5 TRX4s and frankly I'm still running the stock tires on a couple of them.

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-22-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Get both
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have the Krawlers in predator compound and I like them a lot. The foams they come with are way to soft though. I’m going dr.f’s route and I’m going to try some 4.5 ci foams soon. But the tires do work really well. I would recommend the predator compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I agree that first thing you should replace is the steering servo, or at least buy a spare to have on hand for when the stock one dies - it WILL die, in short order. Me and my sons run the Power HD 20kg servos (red or blue) and the DS3218kg servo (all 3 can be had on Amazon or ebay). All are good and cheap, I think I may like the DS3218 a little better.

I've ran the Hyrax G8 for a while now. I bought a set of Predator compound, didn't like them and sold them. They just didn't perform as good as the G8 where we run. Also agree that the stock TRX4 tires work really good with upgraded foams. We've got several sets of CI Lil Nova foams and I've recently bought several sets of the Proline dual stage foams as well. So far, I'm liking the Proline foams a little better.

Also agree on the Hobbywing 1080 ESC.

Last edited by number9; 01-07-2019 at 08:27 PM.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #6

Hey thanks guys! I really appreciate the input! Hopefully a few more can chime in so far looks like 1-G8, 1-Predator and 2-Traxxas. Definitely will upgrade the servo and seams like the esc needs some consideration as well. Appreciate it!
Insanehobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

I have the Predator hyrax with the Proline dual stage and I like them a lot, more and more as they break in. The G8 hyrax are great tires too.

For the super swampers I preferred the g8 over the Predator, they just seemed to work better. It was pretty hot out here back then when I ran those so that may have had something to do with it but that was my experience.

Agreed with Inspector about the portal weights and the servo horn.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I bought these for my scale comp rig 1.9 g8 hyrax with wheels and whatever foams that comes stock in this setup.
I'm happy with them so far only ran 2 comps with them.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:23 AM   #9

In the summer on extremely hot days you may want the G8, but everywhere else I'd think you would want the Predator. Predators will also wear faster (much faster according to some) than the G8 compound. And the G8 compound is no slouch. Excellent tires in all regards from Proline.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I would go with the G8, I have great luck with them. Did not like the Tsl in predator compound. also used the 4.19 class 1 Hyrax in G8 with great results
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I have g8 Hyrax on my Trx they do pretty good, but once I cut the stock tires and put them on a good beadlock with good foams they do better then the Hyrax. I'm also running good quality dual stage foams. Soft front medium in the rear. I've also seen good results from the ottsix klr tires but don't own any yet. Good luck!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:37 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I've had pretty good experience with the stock tires as well. Just boiled them off the plastics to mount them on some aluminum bead locks. (Also used a punch and vented them). Will be using CI Dual Stage foams in them as well - comp cut inners, soft outers up front, medium outers in back. I agree with others, do the servo first. Also, if you're already not digging the ESC, you may as well pull the trigger on a HobbyWing 1080ESC as well. (If you plan to stay brushed). I just scored my first one, and after spending some time dialing in the settings with the program card, I'm loving it.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I'll chime as I just got some predator compound Hyrax. I did an angle board test comparing stock to the hyrax. Stock was about 40 degrees. (board is smooth and dusty) Hyrax predator I was able to push it up to 51 degrees. That's with no other changes.

Now the hyrax are working awesome on the rocks but I think come summer I'll switch to G8 because I don't see the predators lasting long. Also if you're truck is like 9 or 10 pounds the predator might be too soft.
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I need some advice.

I have 120mm tall hyrax on rc4wd wagon deep dishes.

But I have 3mm hex adapters that are exactly like stock but completely remove the threaded taper so it’s flush and any wheel will mount.

Treal Brass Widen Wheel Hubs Hex Pins 4pcs-Set for Traxxas TRX-4 RC Car +3mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076YVFWCJ..._0nQrCbP613TF8

My problem is the offset is too wide and full lock hits the body. It’s put a stress crack on the bottom corner of the fender well.

Going back to stock hex doesn’t work because the wheel isn’t thick enough to hold once the nut is on all the way down. It rattles.

What can I do to get these on without spacers?

BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I think I prefer the G8 compound and especially on heavier rigs like the TRX4, they tend to chew up tread faster and the soft compound will accelerate the wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I need some advice.
maybe create your own thread?

My guess is that your wheel hub needs to be drilled out to 5mm. My brother had a similar issue and he didn't notice that when he put his wheels on they didn't fully seat on the hex due to the axle shaft being larger diameter than the wheel hub.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-21-2019 at 10:19 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:26 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I think I prefer the G8 compound and especially on heavier rigs like the TRX4, they tend to chew up tread faster and the soft compound will accelerate the wear.

maybe create your own thread?

My guess is that your wheel hub needs to be drilled out to 5mm. My brother had a similar issue and he didn't notice that when he put his wheels on they didn't fully seat on the hex due to the axle shaft being larger diameter than the wheel hub.

Pardon me for asking. It was a tire thread and those who’d install these tires might want to know what people run into. My bad.

I drilled out one wheel and it goes over the tapered edge. When you lock the nut all the way down, my rim can move in and out like 1mm or more because the nut at full lock does not compress the rim.

BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Pardon me for asking. It was a tire thread and those who’d install these tires might want to know what people run into. My bad.

I drilled out one wheel and it goes over the tapered edge. When you lock the nut all the way down, my rim can move in and out like 1mm or more because the nut at full lock does not compress the rim.

Toss a couple washers behind the nut.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Your question had little to nothing to do with tires, you're asking about Wheels. Whether these specific tires rub has little to do with the tire and everything to do with the wheel spacing.

I suggested a new thread to help you get more eyes on the topic, and did I not respond to your question?

Now that you've elobarated, like travis c. said all you should need is a washer or 2

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-22-2019 at 08:29 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Proline Hyrax G8 or Predator? Need help! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proline Hyrax wobble Labenske Tires and Wheels 1 12-22-2018 09:49 AM
Coming SOON the NEW Pro-Line Racing 4.19 Class Hyrax Predator Tires! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 12-14-2018 11:08 AM
RESTOCK Pro-Line Racing 1.9 Hyrax Predator!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-13-2018 10:47 AM
Proline Hyrax Predator 1.9 Ethan503 Tires and Wheels 1 05-15-2018 05:03 PM