Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Best battery location, setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Best battery location, setup?

So I have had a Defender since they were released. I have just run the stock location with a 5000mah 3s since day one. But it’s time for a new battery and I’m thinking it’s a good time to consider battery location as well.

What’s the consensus here on the best setup? Bowhouse? Bronco front mount? Another option?
subspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #2

Default Re: Best battery location, setup?

There's no best. Everything is a compromise. A forward mount will be better for vertical climbs. A lower mount will be better for side hills.

Here's my opinion. Some people are using small packs up front in front of the servo. Too small for large batteries and the weight too high.

Bowhouse gives you a lower center of gravity, but it moves the weight rearward which will hurt in climbing hills. If you install this tray you'll surely have to add weight up front.

The stock battery is a good compromise.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I run 3s 2650 and a 3s2200 I get about 90 to 110 mins low gear crawl time out of them without lights running. I also have a 3d printed lower battery tray. I noticed a big side hill improvement over stock battery tray. I also have a good amount of weight up front. My rig is a little more front weighted then I like. So the battery being low and to the rear actually helps me when going down hill. Personally I don't like the front tray. Just too much weight up high. I would go with the bowhouse tray if it was me.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I just put a BowHouse in my rig and it seemed to improve everything... up, down and side-hillin'. Even the 5000+ 3s batteries drop down enough that it seems to more than make up for the 1-in. rearward move. My buddy put one in his too, and felt the same about it. He ordered 2 more for his other rigs. I really like the upgrade.

dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Bowhouse gives you a lower center of gravity, but it moves the weight rearward which will hurt in climbing hills. If you install this tray you'll surely have to add weight up front.
There's a video on. Youtube where I guy tests the lcg battery tray on the trx4 (bronco, I believe). It did hurt more than it helped, so I haven't even installed my LCG tray in my truck.

There is always a compromise. I think the stock location is the best balance in this truck.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I mount mine right smack on the front bumper so it's actually on the same plane as the battery tray.

furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Heres what I did with my TRX4 Sport...Battery sits about a low as you can get it, weight is a little more forward, and counter balanced.

Simply remove the battery tray chop the ends off and then mount them to the chassis at the width of your battery. Also had to trim the arm shorter that secures the battery.

And moved a couple other things around...really like where the esc sits now, super easy to power on/off without having to remove the body shell. Receiver is velcroed to the Savox servo which elimintes the need for an extension wire.

Last edited by RustyTaco; 01-16-2019 at 12:32 PM.
RustyTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTaco View Post
Heres what I did with my TRX4 Sport...Battery sits about a low as you can get it, weight is a little more forward, and counter balanced.

Simply remove the battery tray chop the ends off and then mount them to the chassis at the width of your battery. Also had to trim the arm shorter that secures the battery.

And moved a couple other things around...really like where the esc sits now, super easy to power on/off without having to remove the body shell. Receiver is velcroed to the Savox servo which elimintes the need for an extension wire.
Interesting! I like it.
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:33 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Default Best battery location, setup?

Here’s my take for what it’s worth. The 2 best ways to improve the stock suspension setup on the TRX-4 are to move weight down and add some weight up front. Our battery tray significantly lowers CG with only a minimal rearward shift (depending on what size pack you run). Overall stability, especially on side hills, is much, much better than stock. I also like running 80mm shocks instead of the stock 90mm. You still get plenty of suspension travel, and the truck is much more stable. With those changes, I saw no need to add a bunch of brass down low, but everyone has opinions on those. Either way, adding weight up front also helps on steeper climbs, and there are several ways to do this. I chose to do it with a metal front bumper on my 110, and it helped a lot.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

This is how I do it.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:39 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

bump
steven318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:31 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Here’s my take for what it’s worth. The 2 best ways to improve the stock suspension setup on the TRX-4 are to move weight down and add some weight up front. Our battery tray significantly lowers CG with only a minimal rearward shift (depending on what size pack you run). Overall stability, especially on side hills, is much, much better than stock. I also like running 80mm shocks instead of the stock 90mm. You still get plenty of suspension travel, and the truck is much more stable. With those changes, I saw no need to add a bunch of brass down low, but everyone has opinions on those. Either way, adding weight up front also helps on steeper climbs, and there are several ways to do this. I chose to do it with a metal front bumper on my 110, and it helped a lot.
Can you tell me what this thing is? Comes with the Bowhouse RC LCG battery mount for TRX4 and I have no idea what it is or where it goes?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
byrnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:53 AM   #13
JC3
Quarry Creeper

On a Sport, battery forward mounted on a Bronco front battery plate! Just yesterday I transitioned from the kit's ~50/50 weight distribution to 62/38. Using a 109g 1400mah battery up front. I was running the Bowhouse battery tray before that. The difference was huge. I made other small changes to get to that distribution but since you asked about batteries I'll stick with that. Don't just think about battery placement, think about weight distribution. (BTW, I got three straight hours of crawl time using MambaX and 3800!)

Last edited by JC3; 05-09-2019 at 06:25 AM.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:06 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnieman View Post
Can you tell me what this thing is? Comes with the Bowhouse RC LCG battery mount for TRX4 and I have no idea what it is or where it goes?
It replaces the rear chassis brace to allow longer packs to sit flat in the tray.

It is good to install if you run full size stick packs but if you use smaller packs, you don't really need to install it.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I use a 1500mah 3s lipo in between the front fenders. Works great. (sorry about the mobile footage!)

neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #16
Gold Star Baby!

^^ nice line and climb! Sub’d

I use a small pack up front as well.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
I use a 1500mah 3s lipo in between the front fenders. Works great. (sorry about the mobile footage!)

How much runtime do you have with the 3s 1500mah?
Sabre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #18
JC3
Quarry Creeper

I'm using a 3S 1400mah with a MambaX and 3800. I got over three hours straight crawl time last night.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I'm using a 3S 1400mah with a MambaX and 3800. I got over three hours straight crawl time last night.
How?? 5000mah nimh, 2s,and 3s seem to last at best 2 hours in three different Trx-4's I own (one with a stock setup and two with Mamba-x 2850kv combos). On average, I get about 1 hour and 15 minutes. My scx10 on the other hand can get 3h minimum on 5000mah batteries.

Are you just straight crawling or do you go trailing too?
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTaco View Post

Like that idea a lot. I’m gonna give this a try
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Best battery location, setup? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery location stobert2012 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 3 09-28-2016 07:35 AM
battery location? JS412 Axial SCX-10 6 04-21-2011 05:19 PM
battery location brandon17 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 06-24-2010 01:59 PM
Battery location abbott90 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 02-18-2009 05:22 PM
Battery Location help. Kingofthehill General Crawlers 1 03-07-2007 12:43 PM