Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: RC4WD ‘85 4Runner Body on Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019, 01:01 AM   #1

Default RC4WD ‘85 4Runner Body on Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Chassis

I just recently acquired a brand new Traxxas TRX-4 Sport (blue) for my birthday. I own a ‘88 Toyota 4Runner and I have always wanted to get an RC of the same model. I was originally thinking of getting the Axial SCX-10II, but that didn’t happen.

So I guess my question is, has anyone tried mounting the ‘85 RC4WD 4Runner body on a TRX-4 chassis? I’d love to have some information on what modifications are needed for that body to properly work (with the interior and all of course).

Thanks!
Edison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edisonswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2019, 05:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC4WD ‘85 4Runner Body on Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Chassis

With the interior? It's a challenge, for sure. There's so much going on in the TRX-4 in terms of elctronics and battery placement, that getting the body to sit low enough would be exhausting. Not to say it couldn't be done, but it's not the platform I'd start with. Would require a shorter set of rear links too.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:05 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quite a few are running this body on the FB group.
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by furadi View Post
Quite a few are running this body on the FB group.
Maybe you're thinking of a different body. This one isn't officially out yet.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Maybe you're thinking of a different body. This one isn't officially out yet.
You're right. That's what I get for posting before finishing my morning coffee.
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #6

Regarding the interior, the Sport has fewer electronics than the others; I wouldn’t rule out the interior just yet, but I haven’t seen the 4Runner kit up close.
Fives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I would just add that yeah we dont really know, but it is likely to need a rethink of the rear shock towers and lots of little modifications to move things out of the way
of the interior.
If you're new to the hobby I would probably recommend something a bit more straightforward. My guess is its not likely to be easy and parts to make it work will likely need to be custom.

Nothing wrong with a lofty goal but did you want to drive it soon?
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #8

That’s not a main concern... I have access to a full machine shop/sheet metal shop. Custom parts shouldn’t be a problem and my brothers have been in the Traxxas world for a while. Although they’ve never used non-Traxxas custom parts.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #9

This would be a cool project for sure. Didn't I read that the TF2 bodies are more narrow than the TRX4 track width? I wanted to put a Mojave body on a TRX4 myself but didnt necessarily want it to look like it was running 1 ton axles.....
80Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Yota View Post
This would be a cool project for sure. Didn't I read that the TF2 bodies are more narrow than the TRX4 track width? I wanted to put a Mojave body on a TRX4 myself but didnt necessarily want it to look like it was running 1 ton axles.....

That’s true...

TRX-4 Sport
Width: 248mm
Wheelbase: 312mm (adjustable)

‘85 4Runner
Width: 196.4mm
Wheelbase: 287mm

Is there such a thing as scale tires that would be the equivalent to 33’s? That might take care of some of the width. Then of course the height may be a problem.
It’s not going to be able to be a 100% scale model, due to the electronics. However, the battery cage, which seemed to be a big interference, allows for a significantly smaller battery size... I would strongly consider removing the battery cage and making my own smaller mount wherever convenient.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #11

This guy on the Traxxas forum put the RC4WD K5 Blazer (for the TF2) onto his TRX4. I'd imagine the RC4WD K5 and new 4Runner bodies are very similar as they both fit the TF2.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...TRX4-K5-Blazer

Love the detail on both bodies
joeR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisonswartz View Post
That’s not a main concern... I have access to a full machine shop/sheet metal shop. Custom parts shouldn’t be a problem and my brothers have been in the Traxxas world for a while. Although they’ve never used non-Traxxas custom parts.

Nice! let the gratuitous sparks fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisonswartz View Post
Is there such a thing as scale tires that would be the equivalent to 33’s? That might take care of some of the width. Then of course the height may be a problem.
For that I'd recommend looking into the 1.5 sized tires, Pitbull makes some really nice sticky tires, RC4WD makes a ton too but not all have a decent rubber compound (look for the X2Sł compound, thats their newest and supposedly their best)
Also different wheels have different backspacing so you can narrow up the width that way too but you may have clearance issues with 1.5's on the TRX4 as the portal takes up a lot of space behind the wheel. I'll try to check and see if I can fit a 1.5 wheel on my TRX4 or not and get back to you.

1/10 scale is not always exactly 1/10 scale of the real thing so you might want to avoid fixating on a specific dimension as some bodies are bigger and some are smaller (compared to exact 1/10 scale measurements).

I've got a few sets of PitBulls 1.5's which are mostly 3.8" tall or so and much narrower than 1.9's. Now if you do the math that would be close to a 38" but keep in mind that theres some room to fudge on sizing since scaling is always off a bit anyway in regards to bodies.

I did find one RC4WD tire that is 3.3" tall which should be a 33" equivalent, but I dont think its their latest compound so I cant speak to how it will perform.
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rc4z-t0058.htm

RPP is also a great place to look at what tires are available (and check sizing)

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-17-2019 at 05:09 PM.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #13
RCC Addict

maybe relocating the motor like they showed in this thread would provide clearance for the body.

Front motor mount

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-19-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

As far as interior and electronics, you could maybe consider doing a shallow, lexan type interior versus full hard body interior. Like the ones from Proline, Dinky RC, etc. Should provide plenty of room underneath for battery and electronics. You could also consider doing a BowHouse low cg battery tray to get even a bit more room. I definitely think it’s possible, and would no doubt look sweet. There will definitely be some “creative problem solving” that will need to be done though. Keep is posted if you decide to do it!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WD ‘85 4Runner Body on Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COMING SOON the NEW Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Clear Body w/Camper! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-11-2019 04:38 PM
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport part 2! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 08-03-2018 06:31 AM
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 07-23-2018 07:19 AM