Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Simple green for degreasing axles, no.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Simple green for degreasing axles, no.

This may be a total noob move, but i disassembled my axles for cleaning and regreasing today and left all the shafts and gears in a Simple Green solution to remove the old grease for a few hours. I usually use simple green to degrease my mountain bike chain and it works great.

Well, dont do that. It will strip the black oxide coating off the axle shafts, wheel stubs and any screws.

mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Simple green for degreasing axles, no.

Here's a question for you - How long did you leave them to soak? That's probably the problem...too long. If you're willing to give it another try, let me suggest this, instead:
Simple Green Foaming Crystal Cleaner/Degreaser
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simple-G...9010/301285878

A racer (Mark Santa Maria) had gotten great results from it. When I swapped the front & rear diffs on my Traxxas Rustler 4x4, for Traxxas XO-1 diffs, I cleaned at the Rustler parts work this, and everything came out great.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-20-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Here's a question for you - How long did you leave them to soak? That's probably the problem...too long. If you're willing to give it another try, let me suggest this, instead:
Simple Green Foaming Crystal Cleaner/Degreaser
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simple-G...9010/301285878

A racer (Mark Santa Maria) had gotten great results from it. When I swapped the front & rear diffs on my Traxxas Rustler 4x4, for Traxxas XO-1 diffs, I cleaned at the Rustler parts work this, and everything came out great.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I agree, probably too long and too strong a concentration. I premix the stuff i use on my bike chain to a pretty high strength since its only used for a few minutes before i rinse it. Thats what i used here.

Dont get me wrong, it degreased the gears extremely well, and there was no adverse effects to the gears themselves. It was only the shafts and the screws holding the pinion to the spool that got an extra “deep clean.”
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:48 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

As a non-amerivan: what is "simple green"?
I bet there's some strong acids or alkalines in there, and i hope there's something like "don't use on metal or marble" in the fineprint.

I normally use "petroleum" to soak the gears in it, google says you know it as kerosene. WD40 or acetone may work too, but petroleum/kerosene does not evaporate.
The remaining oil film gets off with brake cleaner spray and the axles are clean as new.
Although, some models i have seen in my life have silicon based greases or other synthetics, those are not really impressed by mineral oils to dissolve in. Those need a "pressure wash" with the Bräkleen can...
amigaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:26 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaman View Post
As a non-amerivan: what is "simple green"?
I bet there's some strong acids or alkalines in there, and i hope there's something like "don't use on metal or marble" in the fineprint...
Simple Green is very alkaline. So much so, that they don't recommend leaving it on aluminum for more than 10 minutes. They make a couple of specialty automotive and aircraft products that are safer on alloys.
CamoColton is offline   Reply With Quote

Simple green for degreasing axles, no. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
simple green to soften tires stanmondz Tires and Wheels 5 05-24-2011 07:58 PM
simple green? Clod Killer Tires and Wheels 13 11-02-2010 11:13 AM
Simple Green TBex Tires and Wheels 39 09-19-2009 08:42 PM
Simple Green & Tires husky385 General Crawlers 28 04-15-2009 08:55 PM
simple green on rock claws? jaycruz Tires and Wheels 3 05-01-2008 07:21 AM