Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4
Loading

Notices

Thread: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 9
Default Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Has anyone found or had any luck finding softer springs for the Long shocks? Everything that Traxxas makes is way to stiff. Thank you in advance.
udlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

I was wondering the same thing. This guy seems to have great results from the stock Redcat Gen8 springs. He was able to get back to stock height.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYYeajpCig4
ryanwkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
RCC Addict
 
Inspector86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 1,145
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Traxxas makes a whole range of TRX4 spring rates ranging from 0.22# to 0.62# pounds. These springs work on both the stock GTS and long shocks.

Last edited by Inspector86; 06-03-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: calgary
Posts: 241
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Do you think gthe softest spring would work good on a trx4 with out the lift kit?RCreeview with the lift kit and gen springs crawls like a champ purely amazing what it can do, but with it being $260 for the lift kit here in CND no way i can afford it.
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict
 
Inspector86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 1,145
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

I'm running the optional Traxxas 0.30# springs on stock GTS shocks on my Sport with no spring pre-load. This gives me about a 50% static droop on the shocks. I have been thinking of trying the 0.22# springs just to see what happens but I suspect they will be too soft. This is with the stock lift suspension links. Contrary to some I actively try to get my suspension as low as possible to reduce COG. This truck currently sets about 1/4" lower then it did with the stock springs. I don't have a set of the longer shocks but I suspect that you could get the same or close ride height using the stock length springs so long as the same no pre-load spring adjustment was used you would just be compressing the shock a bit more than the stock length shock.



This pic gives you an idea of the amount of flex I have with the stock GTS shocks and 0.30# springs. Probably not as much flex as a longer shock would provide.


Last edited by Inspector86; 02-18-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: calgary
Posts: 241
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Stupid question is the GTS shocks the ones that come with a stock trx4?
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
RCC Addict
 
Inspector86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 1,145
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83trekker83 View Post
Stupid question is the GTS shocks the ones that come with a stock trx4?

Yes.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: 'Burque
Posts: 63
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Traxxas makes a whole range of TRX4 spring rates ranging from 0.22 to 0.62 pounds. These springs work on both the standard and long shocks.
Really? When I installed the lift kit I compared the springs and it seemed like they're a fair amount longer than the stock springs.
rattmobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
RCC Addict
 
Inspector86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 1,145
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Yes really! The lift kit springs are longer, they are also stiffer. The softest long spring rate is 0.47#. You can install a short spring on a tall shock you just have to adjust the upper retainer down to touch the spring. So long as the springs don't coil bind they will work just fine. The problem is that a soft spring combined with a high COG is a lose/lose combination because you have now raised the COG which naturally wants to cause the truck to be tippy and then on top of that you install softer springs which allow the body to lean more making it even more tippy. For whatever reason the OP wants soft springs on a lift kit. Personally, I think the lift kit is a complete waste of money!

Last edited by Inspector86; 02-11-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #10
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 98
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Yes really! The lift kit springs are longer, they are also stiffer. The softest long spring rate is 0.47#. You can install a short spring on a tall shock you just have to adjust the upper retainer down to touch the spring. So long as the springs don't coil bind they will work just fine. The problem is that a soft spring combined with a high COG is a lose/lose combination because you have now raised the COG which naturally wants to cause the truck to be tippy and then on top of that you install softer springs which allow the body to lean more making it even more tippy. For whatever reason the OP wants soft springs on a lift kit. Personally, I think the lift kit is a complete waste of money!
The "whatever reason" is this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYYe...ature=youtu.be

Seems like a really solid option - the extra travel enabled by the lift kit + very soft Redcat springs. The truck sits nice and low but can reach when necessary.
jessedacri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #11
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: 1972 born Christian, Chinese.
Posts: 1,234
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Did not the stock TRX4 springs already very soft? I wonder why would people still need more softer springs than the stock springs ?
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #12
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 98
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Did not the stock TRX4 springs already very soft? I wonder why would people still need more softer springs than the stock springs ?
The results in that video are pretty dramatic with the soft springs. I'm not sure I'd go softer at stock height but I think the combo of lift kit + softer springs on the longer shocks is a pretty nice setup. I'm gonna at least give it a go on my setup.
jessedacri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #13
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina
Posts: 1,499
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Just checked the youtube link posted above and it's the same one I was going to post regarding the OP's question. Basically, the way they set up the "LIFT KIT", it's allowing for more wheel drop in crawling situations. With the spring selection he went with, he's got the sag set up to at or very close to original ride height, so the ill effects of higher CG should be largely mitigated in most situations. I think the potential issue here, as Inspector86 touched on, will be in situations like side-hilling. The downhill side is going to get full, or very nearly full compression, and the up-hill side is more than likely going to completely unload, thus sending the rig tumbling. A lot of this symptom could be dealt with - more weight down low, good foams, and some fine tuning once installed. However, the Lift Kit is not cheap, and I can think of a number of different areas I would spend the roughly $175.00. Just my .02 pesos.

jessedacri - let us know how it works out for you. In the RC Review video, the rig actually seems quite stable. He does that fast drive by while turning and the rig handles it with very little body lean.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #14
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 98
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Just checked the youtube link posted above and it's the same one I was going to post regarding the OP's question. Basically, the way they set up the "LIFT KIT", it's allowing for more wheel drop in crawling situations. With the spring selection he went with, he's got the sag set up to at or very close to original ride height, so the ill effects of higher CG should be largely mitigated in most situations. I think the potential issue here, as Inspector86 touched on, will be in situations like side-hilling. The downhill side is going to get full, or very nearly full compression, and the up-hill side is more than likely going to completely unload, thus sending the rig tumbling. A lot of this symptom could be dealt with - more weight down low, good foams, and some fine tuning once installed. However, the Lift Kit is not cheap, and I can think of a number of different areas I would spend the roughly $175.00. Just my .02 pesos.

jessedacri - let us know how it works out for you. In the RC Review video, the rig actually seems quite stable. He does that fast drive by while turning and the rig handles it with very little body lean.
Yeah, it seems to handle side loads pretty nicely but it's also a sport body. I'm starting with the Bronco for now so it may be a bit heavier up top. Gonna drive it stock (well, stock plus a better servo+BEC and SSD brass portals) for a week or two before I go modifying too much and see where it needs attention. I already anticipate it being a bit too stiff for my liking so I've ordered some low rate Traxxas springs (.22 and .30 sets) to experiment a bit as they were cheap. I've seen some setups running Ascender shocks and then this Lift Kit + super soft springs and I like the way it appears to be handling in trail videos, but it's tough to say how that'll actually handle behind the wheel once I get it into a bunch of different situations.
jessedacri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #15
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina
Posts: 1,499
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessedacri View Post
Yeah, it seems to handle side loads pretty nicely but it's also a sport body. I'm starting with the Bronco for now so it may be a bit heavier up top. Gonna drive it stock (well, stock plus a better servo+BEC and SSD brass portals) for a week or two before I go modifying too much and see where it needs attention. I already anticipate it being a bit too stiff for my liking so I've ordered some low rate Traxxas springs (.22 and .30 sets) to experiment a bit as they were cheap. I've seen some setups running Ascender shocks and then this Lift Kit + super soft springs and I like the way it appears to be handling in trail videos, but it's tough to say how that'll actually handle behind the wheel once I get it into a bunch of different situations.
The Bronco body is definitely a good bit heavier than the Sport body. I think you're on the right track to drive it a bit and play with some spring set-ups, different oil weights, etc.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:36 AM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cupertino
Posts: 32
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Traxxas is finally making softer springs for the lift kit. Yay!!! The springs are longer than standard TRX4 ones and that is key.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?...ft+kit+springs

.29 would get about 50% droop I think. .39 would be the safe bet.
rcreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:33 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Oakley
Posts: 298
Default Re: Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreview View Post
Traxxas is finally making softer springs for the lift kit. Yay!!! The springs are longer than standard TRX4 ones and that is key.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?...ft+kit+springs

.29 would get about 50% droop I think. .39 would be the safe bet.
Hell yes! I just put 110mm shocks in the front and 120's in the rear but have been having issues getting the springs to work. I am running the the normal length GTS .22 springs in the front with a short secondary spring to take up the extra length. The rear is using the white .30's that came on the front of the sport kit along with secondaries, but sits slightly too high.

This is the answer. Get rid of the secondaries and be able to run at the correct height. The only issue that may crop up is if you use the .29 long springs in place of the .3 regular springs it may be a bit stiff at the top of the travel since your now compressing the same rate spring 20+% farther.

Last edited by mass-hole; 05-28-2019 at 03:50 PM.
mass-hole is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Softer Springs for Lift Kit Long Shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Softer Lift Kit Springs udlose Traxxas TRX-4 1 09-09-2018 04:49 PM
Softer springs for big bore shocks? Slashcrazy Axial SCX-10 3 10-18-2017 07:29 PM
Softer Springs for Shocks Wagenmeister Axial SCX-10 7 03-18-2014 12:12 AM
softer springs for the stampede shocks... madmaxxed Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 02-24-2006 05:02 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com