Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: I really want the G Made SR03 wheels on my Defender.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2022, 05:11 PM   #1

Default I really want the G Made SR03 wheels on my Defender.

I have to compliment SVT923 on his amazing write up on wheels, what a fantastic job. He mentioned that the G Made wheel will fit the trx4 and I'm partial to the G made SR03's, but I want to have them 1-2mm wider than the stock defender set-up. The SR03's have a positive 2mm offset. What do I need to do to counter act this positive offset. I plan on mounting the stock Canyon Trail tires. I read about using a narrower tamiya hex nut and extended stub axles with longer threads but I'm new to this and just not sure on what to do. Any and all help is certainly appreciated. I wanted to post a pic of the SR02 but apparently I can't post attachments, but spec's are below. Thanks

Specs:
Width: 22mm
Diameter: 48mm (1.9inch)
Offset: 2mm positive offset
Hex size: 12mm
Ovok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2022, 05:31 PM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: I really want the G Made SR03 wheels on my Defender.

you need longer wheel hubs
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:43 PM   #3

OK, but how long? Is there a specific size I need?
Old 03-14-2022, 06:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

That wheel does not fit if you add portal weights BTW. It easily the heaviest wheels I have owned (2lbs with tires and foams). I'm not a fan of the offset as they rub the steering link on everything I try to put them on. The hub is also built into the wheel so the only option is a wider hex... if it leaves enough threads for a wheel nut. MIP makes extended axles:
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/mip18260.htm

They look nice but I've had my set shelved for a few years, I cant really recommend these wheels.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have them on my Camel Trophy Defender with some Dirt Grabbers fitted on them. I use 8mm hexes, but the Dirt Grabber is much smaller tire than the CTs so you might run into clearing issues. You could get 8mm or 10mm brass hexes for quite cheap though.

Here's how they look on my rig. Keep in mind that this hard body is more narrow than the Traxxas one though.

TRX-4 Camel Trophy D110 Project

They are good wheels but you pay premium for them. One downside is that the bolts strip really easy if you are not careful. You can find similar options out there for much less if you are after the vintage Land Rover look.

If I had to do it all over again I would go for the Injora ones

https://www.injora.com/products/4pcs...39450961903664
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post

If I had to do it all over again I would go for the Injora ones

https://www.injora.com/products/4pcs...39450961903664
I have those same wheels on my TRX4 Defender with CTs and brass portal covers. 8mm hexes. Had to trim a little of the front Lexan toward the bumper side. Got a little rubbing in reverse at full deletion in one direction but not enough that it bothers me and no damage/wear and tear to the body.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:47 PM   #7

So, some questions answered with a bunch of additional unknowns. I just hope you all stick with me and put up with my ignorance. Really sweet rig Xagorus, damn nice. Yes, I checked out MIP, thanks Humbolt EF, and a few others, Teal makes a 5mm extended axle out of steel. My confusion???? Why would the stock CT's rub if they were pushed out enough, or were they? Let say I extend my axle 5 mm, add a 10mm hex nut.....with a + 2mm wheel offset (SR03's), wouldn't that give me a 3mm increase in stance on each side. Plus their should be no rubbing. Is their a way to get this down to a 2mm increase?
Old 03-14-2022, 09:18 PM   #8

Look what I just cam across. Thoughts? https://www.jteamhobbies.com/product...-d90-4pc-white
Old 03-15-2022, 05:51 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

There are a lot of variable and unfortunately no exact answer unless someone has the exact set up you do. Keep in mind, if the tire wheel combo rubs on the steering link or frame and you widen the wheel track with wider hexes, you may have solved chassis rubbing but may now have body rubbing. Also, the how high you have the body mounted as well as suspension droop can all effect that. What I did was purchase three different size hexes and then experimented with the wheel/tire combos I had. At the same time, widening the wheels can cause some additional issues in it self. The farther the contact patch with the surface gets from the actual steering pivot point, the more stress you're causing on steer components, especially the servo. Only go as wide as you need.

Actually the experimenting is all part of the fun. Enjoy!

Last edited by OnTheTrail; 03-15-2022 at 06:45 AM.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:03 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Since the Traxxas Defender comes with the CTs anyway, it wouldn't be a problem to use any 1.9 wheels as long as you figure out what hexes work best. CTs are around 120mm wide, but they tend to get flater as they are used. I'd say, start with 8mm ones, which are +3mm from the stock ones. If you see you need more you can go to 10mm ones.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote

I really want the G Made SR03 wheels on my Defender. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gmade 1.9 sr03 beadlocks flmudder Tires and Wheels 2 02-21-2014 05:43 PM
Are G-Made wheels poorly made or is it me? Goferrari28 Tires and Wheels 8 12-14-2013 08:08 AM
my defender made in france hilux 32 1.5 Scale Rigs 41 09-04-2013 02:02 PM
Hard trial and crossing the river scale Defender 90(MUST SEE!!!)made in Russia. SuperMonster Videos! 1 11-28-2010 04:26 AM