Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: front diff locker not engaging (SOLVED)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2019, 02:51 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default front diff locker not engaging (SOLVED)

I have built the kit version of the TRX4 and can't for the life of me get the front diff to lock. I have made sure the arm in the axle housing isn't gunked up or binding. I believe the cable is coming unhooked from the arm. I have pulled the diff cover off and reinstalled the cable a couple times and it will not stay hooked up. Anyone have this problem with either of their diffs? Rear locks up great and the two speed shifts fine. I think I have narrowed it down to the cable. TIA for any help you guys can think of.
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #2

Default Re: front diff locker not engaging

Is the c-clip in place on the outside? If not, the cable/housing can move too far and become un-attached.
TRX4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:24 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX4ME View Post
Is the c-clip in place on the outside? If not, the cable/housing can move too far and become un-attached.
Yes it is. I had to get another one because I lost the one that came with it. I have it installed and the cable keeps coming loose from the arm in the diff housing.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #4

Did you ensure that the locking fork is firmly clipped in? Make sure you hear it "clip". The assembly can still go together with the cover and the fork being loose.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

As for the cable disconnecting in the axle, you might try twisting the cable a bit in the ball end. That might help keep it "hooked" into the locking fork. Just a thot.

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
RCC Addict

If the T-lock cable is oriented correctly there is no way it can come loose. Go back and recheck pg18 of your assembly manual and verify the hook on your cable is properly oriented exactly as described in section D2. I would add that in section G7 of the assembly manual it does not specifically say to orient the ball socket on the threaded end of the T-lock cable so it does not twist the cable but is naturally level with the ball. Worst case take some pics of your assembly so we can actually see what you have going on.

Last edited by Inspector86; 02-21-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
As for the cable disconnecting in the axle, you might try twisting the cable a bit in the ball end. That might help keep it "hooked" into the locking fork. Just a thot.

jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
If the T-lock cable is oriented correctly there is no way it can come loose. Go back and recheck pg18 of your assembly manual and verify the hook on your cable is properly oriented exactly as described in section D2. I would add that in section G7 of the assembly manual it does not specifically say to orient the ball socket on the threaded end of the T-lock cable so it does not twist the cable but is naturally level with the ball. Worst case take some pics of your assembly so we can actually see what you have going on.

I will take these tips and see what I messed up. Thanks guys. May It may be the ball end twisting it. If I still can't figure it out I will definitely take some pics and post them up for visual sake.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:10 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the help. I took the whole front axle apart and reinstalled everything. I found that the cable was binding a bit and didn't get lined up so it was only putting the tip into the arm. It didn't actually twist underneath the arm like the picture. Got it all sorted and works on the stand like it should. Will do some testing while driving and make sure it actually stays working.

Again thank you all for the help and guidance. Now to get a few parts in so it can look like a real truck and not just a chassis.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYACE63 View Post
Thanks for all the help. I took the whole front axle apart and reinstalled everything. I found that the cable was binding a bit and didn't get lined up so it was only putting the tip into the arm. It didn't actually twist underneath the arm like the picture. Got it all sorted and works on the stand like it should. Will do some testing while driving and make sure it actually stays working.

Again thank you all for the help and guidance. Now to get a few parts in so it can look like a real truck and not just a chassis.
Glad you got it working!

front diff locker not engaging (SOLVED) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish Products locker for the front diff? dafaz Axial Yeti 6 09-04-2015 08:16 AM
Axial Front Diff locker pvo_srt4 Axial Yeti 1 11-22-2014 02:23 PM
Axial Front Diff Locker - AX31182 SteveC6R Axial Yeti 1 11-14-2014 01:24 PM
Front Dig Not Engaging mrG Team Losi Comp Crawler 9 03-18-2011 11:06 PM
Front Diff Locker for AX10 Grave95 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 03-29-2009 09:13 AM