Notices

Thread: TRX4 Sport kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2019, 10:54 PM   #241
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TRX4 Sport kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Anyone know of a lexan interior that fits the sport body alright?
I was thinking of gettingeither the proline xj interior and cutting the back end off or knight customs offers a interior for the bronco body but its just the front of the interior.
freakofnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #242
RCC Addict

Finally got some quiet time and put my kit together yesterday.
It's fast and fun and the design/engineering and quality is the best I have seen thus far - way ahead of axial and vaterra. I really like it. Now body and paint.

Suspension travel more limited but seems adequate. Super nice shocks and links here!

Got ssd hexes - what is up with the raised flange around the axle stub? I had to drill out my wheels to fit them on.

Put a crawl master expert 16T in with hw1080 - very nice and smooth. Pics tomorrow.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #243
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
So I opened my bag of driveline parts and put them all together. Out of the four pivot balls one has this cross-legged hole thing going on. I had a rat-tail jewelers file that goes much smaller than the pin slot so I just filed it out a bit and smoothed out the outside of the ball and assembled it - works smooth as silk.
If it goes rum-rum-rum when I run it I'll know where it's coming from.

BTW, these are cleaner assemblies than the vattera one, but just a shade. The outer covers are much simpler than ascenders springs or differential sockets. Nice setup with cross-pined attachment to the transmission shafts.

That sounds like my stock RTR sport. I just downloaded the assembly instructions to tear into those shafts to see if maybe one of mine are like that.
olydemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #244
RCC Addict

It runs smoothly but not nearly as quietly as a vaterra.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #245
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
It's fast and fun and the design/engineering and quality is the best I have seen thus far - way ahead of axial and vaterra. I really like it. Now body and paint.

Suspension travel more limited but seems adequate. Super nice shocks and links here!

Got ssd hexes - what is up with the raised flange around the axle stub? I had to drill out my wheels to fit them on.

Put a crawl master expert 16T in with hw1080 - very nice and smooth. Pics tomorrow.
Perfect. Thanks for the quick rundown Browneye. I am looking at this for my next kit build. The only thing that has me wavering on my decision is this new Associated rig coming out.

Shirt showed up today btw, thanks again. You really did nail the design this year
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #246
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Speak of the devil, I just got back from my first run with it at El Modena.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #247
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:

Congrats! starting a build thread?

The ssd hexes are made specifically for their wheels. The raised lip fits into the center hole on their hubs for a tighter fit to limit slop around the axle shaft.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #248
RCC Addict

Mike is always at CDM Rocks, he was a part of the Senduro development, was driving one today.

Yeah, a thread, or just post a few pics here. FJ40 body fits like a glove...waaaaayyyy nicer than the sport body in my aged opinion.

l have some ssd steelies...wonder if they would work better. It's surely a different setup, but can always use the stock hexes. I thought I was being smart getting beefier ones...now they don't work with the cheap-ass wheels. LOL
Old 05-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #249
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Mike is always at CDM Rocks, he was a part of the Senduro development, was driving one today.

Yeah, a thread, or just post a few pics here. FJ40 body fits like a glove...waaaaayyyy nicer than the sport body in my aged opinion.

l have some ssd steelies...wonder if they would work better. It's surely a different setup, but can always use the stock hexes. I thought I was being smart getting beefier ones...now they don't work with the cheap-ass wheels. LOL
Nice, they should. If your other wheels are slw hub compatible you can also throw on the ssd wheel hubs themselves. The ones from your steel wheels should work, or there’s offset and brass options available.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-...d00192/p674920

Or brass option... (these may not fit wheels with a back beadlock ring)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-...d00279/p802259

Looking forward to seeing the fj body
Old 05-27-2019, 11:16 PM   #250
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Alright, time to make it out to CDM now that it's getting warmer.

Although yesterday's weather was like WTF rain?
Old 05-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #251
RCC Addict

Well, I did not realize there were various hexes and configurations for wheels - just thought all 1.9's were the same. Dear god.
So I got a set of alloy hexes from RC4WD and keep the stockers as backup. I guess the stock ones aren't very strong, made of unobtanium alloy. LOL

And I ruined my wheels drilling them out, which then ruined the SSD hub/nut axle end nuts. The sleeves are just plastic and won't hold the wheel on if the hole is bigger than the nut inside.
Fortunately the wheels are cheap, so ordered another set.

The FJ body was made for the long WB TRX4, so it fits perfectly.
Got the axles and transmission built in a couple of hours, then another afternoon/evening session got the whole chassis built and wired. It runs great! SSD super heavy portal covers for the front, and gray diff covers - red just wasn't going to work for a '66 FJ40.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #252
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by olydemon View Post
That sounds like my stock RTR sport. I just downloaded the assembly instructions to tear into those shafts to see if maybe one of mine are like that.

They could well be. It's worth pulling them apart and make sure everything is smooth. Got my chassis built and running and it's super smooth.

I'm surprised at the speed with a 5-pole 16T motor. I'm going to want to gear it down a little perhaps.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #253
RCC Addict

Proline FJ40 body fitted. It has a 12.8" wheelbase so I installed the 'kit' for extending it. Same as the Defender. Obviously this body is a little lighter than the Defender...ya think??
Colors selected...copper inside, puke-gray out, with a white top. This will be my first intentional external paint job, for when it gets scratched up in the rocks the rust color will show through. A little light sanding should bring it out as well.

SSD front bumper, sport rear and winch. I may utilize some of the other sport-kit accessories as well. The sport running boards/rock-sliders will work too, with some modification to the mounting. The bottom of the body is about 3/8" higher than the stock - they have the rocker guards mounted too low.

I REALLY like the way these go together, very nice chassis, the layout and design is outstanding.

Last edited by Browneye; 05-29-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:42 AM   #254
Gold Star Baby!

Looking good! Nice bumper choices.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #255
Slow is the new Fast

It looks great Chris! The bumper suits the body perfectly. Look forward to seeing it all painted up
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #256
RCC Addict

My Axial Wrangler body fit pretty well on the sport chassis - 12.8"WB, so I had a chance to run it Saturday. All I can say is the TRX4 chassis is like cheating - it takes every challenging line we have at our favorite crawling spot. I'm pleasantly surprised and amazed. Love this chassis.

Crawlmaster Expert 16T, stock gearing, on 2S. Next time I'll try 3S, but I think it's a little fast for technical rock crawling. SSD portal covers for some front weight, RB PB XL's with CI 2-stage. Although suspension travel isn't quite what a Vaterra's is, evidently it's enough cuz this thing crawls like a mutha.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #257
I wanna be Dave

Was cool to see you make that climb in that one spot! Can't wait to see the FJ40 body on it!
Old 06-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #258
I wanna be Dave

Very cool. I was wondering when I would see someone build a rig with this body!
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #259
RCC Addict

Hey guys...I posted this in the other TRX thread but no replies...any comments?

Quote:
Can you comment on motor choice for TRX4 Sport? Does it have the same reduction as the Defender and others?

I had two motors on hand, a Crawlmaster Expert 16T and a Trailmaster 550 21T (it might be a 27T - I always forget to account for the bigger can).
Stock gearing currently, but I probly have some other pinions hanging around.
I ended up installing the Crawlmaster and it runs real nice on 2s, a little fast on 3s, but have not tried the latter in the rocks.

Did I miss the boat not using the bigger but cheaper motor? Sure easy to change out.

EDIT: It's definitely a 21T 550 Trailmaster motor.

Last edited by Browneye; 06-10-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #260
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hey guys...I posted this in the other TRX thread but no replies...any comments?

First gear is lower on the two speed trans than the sport comes out of the box.

I run a Trailmaster 550 sport 21T and it seems solid, but i am a relative noob.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 Sport kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 speed conversion kit/activating servo in my trx4 sport ShotCrawler Traxxas Crawlers 3 08-31-2021 05:11 PM
trx4 sport motor floydtn Newbie General 4 02-18-2019 02:33 PM
Trx4 bronco with Sport body and traxxas lift kit Exiwolfman Traxxas TRX-4 0 10-13-2018 02:20 PM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM