Notices

Thread: TRX4 Sport kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TRX4 Sport kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Does anybody know the FDR of the Traxxas Sport as well as the FDRs of the two speed TRX-4 trucks? I can't seem to find that info.
The gear ratios are the same as the low gear from the 2 speed with a 39T spur.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The gear ratios are the same as the low gear from the 2 speed with a 39T spur.
Thanks. I edited my post before I saw yours. Thanks for the help.

Now I gotta guess on gear ratio for a happy medium. Low gear on the Bronco is a little too slow for all around trail use, but second gear is way too fast. The Sport Kit seems to start with gearing that would be a happy medium, but there are lots of reports that it's too fast. Decisions, decisions...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yes, FDR = Final Drive Ratio.

I also read that the Sport is too fast so I want to get a different pinion and or spur gear before I build the kit.

Thanks for the pinion/spur info.

I looked at the manual for the Sport Kit and the Bronco and this is what I found:

Sport Kit
39/17 x 15.8 = 36.25

Bronco
High gear
45/11 x 6.32 = 25.85

Low Gear
45/11 x 15.8 = 64.64
do you have the low and high gear backwards? shouldn't low gear have the higher FDR? now my head hurts...me no like math!

Jato fixed it!

Last edited by raul shabinguez; 03-11-2019 at 08:03 AM. Reason: cause im a turd
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul shabinguez View Post
do you have the low and high gear backwards? shouldn't low gear have the higher FDR? now my head hurts...me no like math!
Good catch. I had the High Gear and Low Gear labels reversed. I fixed it. Pleased edit your post to delete what you quoted because that information is wrong and it will confuse people in the future.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks. I edited my post before I saw yours. Thanks for the help.

Now I gotta guess on gear ratio for a happy medium. Low gear on the Bronco is a little too slow for all around trail use, but second gear is way too fast. The Sport Kit seems to start with gearing that would be a happy medium, but there are lots of reports that it's too fast. Decisions, decisions...
40-50:1 is the usual range I go for regardless of the truck. With the motors I typically run on 3S, this is good for 6-8 mph on the top end which is usually enough wheel speed to pop over things, jump gaps, sling dirt, or generally move faster than I care to walk out on the trail.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNWDmqMQCJI

according to this test. stock speeds

2s = 5mph
3s = 7mph
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #87
RCC Addict

Been searching around....looks like I may get one of these if/when they become available again.
Appears Traxxas has them but the dealers don't?

EDIT: Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short. LOL

Last edited by Browneye; 03-11-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #88
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Been searching around....looks like I may get one of these if/when they become available again.
Appears Traxxas has them but the dealers don't?
I think you missed the first batch, I think they went very quick, I ordered mine at Amain Friday and glad I did cause it looks like they went fast.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #89
RCC Addict

Just posted in the other thread...
RC Superstore had one...ordered it.

I think I'm going to go long WB and get the Proline FJ body. That one caught my eye.
Actually, the sport body with the rack and scale accessory stuff isn't half bad. I have a NIB 66 Chevy body too.
Oh, the plethora of choices!!!

Last edited by Browneye; 03-11-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Quote:
Just posted in the other thread...
RC Superstore had one...ordered it.
Glad you got one! Can't wait for mine.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #91
RCC Addict

I have a NIB HW1080 and all sorts of wheels too. Just need a 550 motor I guess. I have a couple of extra 35T 540 motors, maybe I'll try that for awhile.
Just need another receiver for the spektrum 5ch.

Any must-have hop-up parts too look at? Are peeps weighting the axles and such? I haven't been paying attention to the TRX4 stuff cuz I didn't think I would get one...but it seems to make more sense than the GEN8. My crawling buddy ordered one...he's gonna be surprised I got the TRX - he already has a Defender, but it's a heavy beast so we only see it for trails and haven't been doing much of that. The rock crawling comp thing is super addictive.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #92

Quote:
I have a NIB HW1080 and all sorts of wheels too. Just need a 550 motor I guess. I have a couple of extra 35T 540 motors, maybe I'll try that for awhile.

Any must-have hop-up parts too look at? Are peeps weighting the axles and such? I haven't been paying attention to the TRX4 stuff cuz I didn't think I would get one...but it seems to make more sense than the GEN8. My crawling buddy ordered one...he's gonna be surprised I got the TRX - he already has a Defender, but it's a heavy beast so we only see it for trails and haven't been doing much of that. The rock crawling comp thing is super addictive.
The Holmes TrailMaster is an inexpensive 550 motor.

I really like the SSD portal weights on my Bronco. They won't be going on my Sport at first because I want to test stock performance.

OD/UD gears from Traxxas are a good option for crawling as well.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #93
RCC Addict

Quote:

I'm sure others will comment as well, I have the Bronco version already and haven't done much to it yet, 1080 Esc, DS3218 servo, and am using my hacked Flysky radio. I put some aluminum beadlocks with weights in the front with the stock tires and a high clearance steering link. It crawls really well, I have more planned but I'm really happy with it as is.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #94
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:

Start with flipping the bumper mounts upside down. The stock bumpers sit low. I’d also recommend a lighter oil than what’s provided in the box. I like 10w myself.

x2 On the SSD portals. Great bang for the buck. I like to do more technical crawling than trailing with my trx4 so I have both the OD and UD gears. There’s a lot of options for adding weight to these axles. Really depends on how heavy you want your rig to be.

I’ll end up getting the narrow fenders for the sport, so I can mount the battery up front.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #95
Rock Stacker

I’m thinking of picking one of these up once back in stock. I’m a fan of the inner fenders for mess control. Has anyone added those on a sport rtr or this kit after putting it together? If so was it a pain?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SlagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #96
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlagMan View Post
I’m thinking of picking one of these up once back in stock. I’m a fan of the inner fenders for mess control. Has anyone added those on a sport rtr or this kit after putting it together? If so was it a pain?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
easy bolt on.

Part no TRA8080
Old 03-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #97
Pebble Pounder

Hi Pant Danza - I'd like to get inner fenders, too but I saw a youtube vid where the guy said that the 8080 narrow fenders didn't fit the sport body. And someone commented on the vid that the Model# 8072 inner fenders fit better. Now I'm confused as to which type is best for the sport body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YqKJqtbxow
spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #98
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre View Post
Hi Pant Danza - I'd like to get inner fenders, too but I saw a youtube vid where the guy said that the 8080 narrow fenders didn't fit the sport body. And someone commented on the vid that the Model# 8072 inner fenders fit better. Now I'm confused as to which type is best for the sport body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YqKJqtbxow
Thank you for sharing.

Those narrow fenders weren’t designed specifically for the sport body like the the 8072 fenders were for the bronco. They are just an option to help fit better under bodies that aren’t as wide as the bronco because basically any other body on the bronco chassis required trimming of the inner fenders.

If you want more coverage like he does then TRA8072 is probably the way to go, just expect a little trimming.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #99
Rock Crawler

CATH3018 is no longer active for amain orders. I had decided to pull the trigger even on backorder and get one ordered up cause at 250 I couldn't say no. Fate has kept me from being a trx4 owner for the meantime at least. At 287 shipped from a small store in Columbus, OH, I can stand to wait.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #100
RCC Addict

Mine was $301 with tax. Damn taxes!!! LOL

Let the optional parts sourcing begin...

TRX4 Sport kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 speed conversion kit/activating servo in my trx4 sport ShotCrawler Traxxas Crawlers 3 08-31-2021 05:11 PM
trx4 sport motor floydtn Newbie General 4 02-18-2019 02:33 PM
Trx4 bronco with Sport body and traxxas lift kit Exiwolfman Traxxas TRX-4 0 10-13-2018 02:20 PM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM