Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4
Loading

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Oakley
Posts: 479
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlagMan View Post
I’m in agreement with traxxas parts. I used to make builds out of axial parts but that stuff is drying up. Recently converted an old tmaxx to brushless. Literally a 20 year old truck and had no issue getting stuff. Had several vendors to choose from.

If you really wanted just the monster truck look I can say a maxx with silicone stuffed diffs performs well. As long as you don’t go crazy with the size of the motor they aren’t too fragile either. It definitely falls short in the looks if you’re after solid axle MT. Throw in an emaxx transmission and you can have 2 speed as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to jump off subject, but I've got a Tmaxx 3.3 and want to convert to brushless. I bought a brushless motor mount from How2RC already and I believe I already put the fwd only kit in my tmaxx(its been a long time.) Any other issues doing the conversion?
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #22
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Sorry to jump off subject, but I've got a Tmaxx 3.3 and want to convert to brushless. I bought a brushless motor mount from How2RC already and I believe I already put the fwd only kit in my tmaxx(its been a long time.) Any other issues doing the conversion?


None for me. Used one of his mounts too and a vxl3s combo. I did eventually destroy the old driveshafts and converted to 3.3 shafts and pillow blocks. Has been reliable since and a lot of fun.

Im the one that jumped off subject by bringing up a basher to begin with.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SlagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: US
Posts: 16
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

I've thought of a E-Maxx, never owned one of those either, and love the 8 shock look, but believe anytime I'd run the emaxx, I'd rather run my xmaxx. No offense. Now if traxxas came out with a solid axle 8 shock licensed big foot monster truck, 2 speed transmission, 2 and 3s, 1/10 scale, they could charge $799 and I'd still buy it! I like 1/10 scale, easier to clean in my girlfriend's kitchen sink : ) hahaha

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
pattyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Oakley
Posts: 479
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyt View Post
I've thought of a E-Maxx, never owned one of those either, and love the 8 shock look, but believe anytime I'd run the emaxx, I'd rather run my xmaxx. No offense. Now if traxxas came out with a solid axle 8 shock licensed big foot monster truck, 2 speed transmission, 2 and 3s, 1/10 scale, they could charge $799 and I'd still buy it! I like 1/10 scale, easier to clean in my girlfriend's kitchen sink : ) hahaha

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
If I was starting from scratch, I agree. But I already have the T-maxx, motor, and ESC. I just needed the $18 motor mount and maybe a pinion gear.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #25
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,511
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

I didn't read the article, but it looks like Big Squid is building a TRX-4 monster truck.

Monster Truck Madness – Building High Horse Big Squid RC – RC Car and Truck News, Reviews, Videos, and More!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: US
Posts: 16
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I didn't read the article, but it looks like Big Squid is building a TRX-4 monster truck.

Monster Truck Madness Building High Horse Big Squid RC RC Car and Truck News, Reviews, Videos, and More!
Yes! Actually it's a continuation of a article from 2007 when the ranger tires were first released. Thinking of getting a set for my trx4 bronco for floating over snow and bombing around. But before dropping $$$ on the wheels and tires I wanted to make sure they fit. After 2 weeks of looking around and asking, nothing. I wrote to the author of the article and he responded! He said he would go back to the build and he just simply forgot. I was very shocked as I'm still waiting for a response to my Taylor Swift wedding proposal email hahaha. But seriously, the more involved I get in the online community, the more impressed I am with the generosity of knowledge and ideas. I'll have to read the article!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
pattyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #27
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,511
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyt View Post
I was very shocked as I'm still waiting for a response to my Taylor Swift wedding proposal email hahaha.
Hey now! She's one of my future ex-wives! Don't go stepping on my toes until the divorced is finalized!

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 492
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I didn't read the article, but it looks like Big Squid is building a TRX-4 monster truck.

Monster Truck Madness Building High Horse Big Squid RC RC Car and Truck News, Reviews, Videos, and More!
Bummer, now it's gonna look like I'm just copying him.

It won't be completely the same because I'm going full retard on the tire size with Jconcepts Firestorms. Those are quite a bit bigger than what he's using, but I might have trouble fitting them. Time will tell.

Anyway the parts are rolling in. Should have some pictures worth posting in a week or two.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #29
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,511
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Bummer, now it's gonna look like I'm just copying him.



It won't be completely the same because I'm going full retard on the tire size with Jconcepts Firestorms. Those are quite a bit bigger than what he's using, but I might have trouble fitting them. Time will tell.



Anyway the parts are rolling in. Should have some pictures worth posting in a week or two.

The Bigfoot photo that I posted is a TRX-4 with Firestorms...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #30
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: US
Posts: 16
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Bummer, now it's gonna look like I'm just copying him.



It won't be completely the same because I'm going full retard on the tire size with Jconcepts Firestorms. Those are quite a bit bigger than what he's using, but I might have trouble fitting them. Time will tell.



Anyway the parts are rolling in. Should have some pictures worth posting in a week or two.
It will be interesting to see how the portals hold up to the added force caused by clod sized tires. I honestly dont know which way to go. Buy a trx4 roller, lift kit, 2.2 monster tires, brushless castle system? Or turn my bomber into a monster truck? (Not too crazy about the looks of the carbon fiber chassis and ground clearance) ordo i take the parts left over from my trx4 lift kit, the ar60 axles off the bomber, and weld my own aluminum chassis with short wheel base and 2.2 mt tires? The more i think about it, the more im inclined to get the clod kit for $100 off.....

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
pattyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 492
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Bigfoot photo that I posted is a TRX-4 with Firestorms...
True, but I see he also runs SMT10 wheels/tires so the Firestorms may just be for display. What will happen when you steer to full lock with some suspension compression? Do the front tires collide with the chassis and lock up? Inquiring minds want to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyt View Post
It will be interesting to see how the portals hold up to the added force caused by clod sized tires. I honestly dont know which way to go. Buy a trx4 roller, lift kit, 2.2 monster tires, brushless castle system? Or turn my bomber into a monster truck? (Not too crazy about the looks of the carbon fiber chassis and ground clearance) ordo i take the parts left over from my trx4 lift kit, the ar60 axles off the bomber, and weld my own aluminum chassis with short wheel base and 2.2 mt tires? The more i think about it, the more im inclined to get the clod kit for $100 off.....
You sound like me, desperate for a good monster truck build but not finding any really excellent options. I've done a mild SMT10 build before but I wasn't too thrilled with some aspects of it so I'm going my own way this time. The TRX-4 route could easily have some breakage issues because, yeah, those tires. They just came in the mail today and I forgot how heavy they are. Gonna be fun.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #32
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: US
Posts: 16
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
True, but I see he also runs SMT10 wheels/tires so the Firestorms may just be for display. What will happen when you steer to full lock with some suspension compression? Do the front tires collide with the chassis and lock up? Inquiring minds want to know







You sound like me, desperate for a good monster truck build but not finding any really excellent options. I've done a mild SMT10 build before but I wasn't too thrilled with some aspects of it so I'm going my own way this time. The TRX-4 route could easily have some breakage issues because, yeah, those tires. They just came in the mail today and I forgot how heavy they are. Gonna be fun.
I've found so much info on this sight about smt10 and axial builds, though excited at first, the only thing axial I would use due to parts availability (smt10 used are almost non existant) and so many columns are about trying this and that to handle the clod tires. Which begs the question, just get a clod? And do a mod here and there...... but I'm sure a set of those jconcept cowboy rims and ranger tires will make it's way onto my trx4 next winter for snow runs, and use the super swampers for the trails.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
pattyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: US
Posts: 16
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Whoops, forgot to say only things axial I would use would be ar60 axles and trans.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
pattyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #34
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: US
Posts: 16
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Hey now! She's one of my future ex-wives! Don't go stepping on my toes until the divorced is finalized!



Ha! I thought I was the only one who said future ex-wife!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
pattyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 492
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Since we're on the subject (and because this thread lacks photos), here's the old SMT10. I was really happy with the look but Axial cheaped out in so many different ways on that platform it always bugged me. Decided to sell it instead of spending a fortune on upgrades, but if they ever did an improved re-release kit version I'd give it another go.



TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:39 AM   #36
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: US
Posts: 16
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Since we're on the subject (and because this thread lacks photos), here's the old SMT10. I was really happy with the look but Axial cheaped out in so many different ways on that platform it always bugged me. Decided to sell it instead of spending a fortune on upgrades, but if they ever did an improved re-release kit version I'd give it another go.



To do a smt10 right from the ground up as a solid brushless weekend basher id imagine would run in the $2k price range......which begs the question, how much can i get for one of my kidneys? Hahaha

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
pattyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #37
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,511
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Since we're on the subject (and because this thread lacks photos), here's the old SMT10. I was really happy with the look but Axial cheaped out in so many different ways on that platform it always bugged me. Decided to sell it instead of spending a fortune on upgrades, but if they ever did an improved re-release kit version I'd give it another go.
That's beautiful! The SMT10 chassis was awesome, but I agree that the driveline just wasn't up to the task. And the stock speed was pathetic. Axial really failed with that truck. It's a reoccurring theme with Axial - they consistently build low quality and problematic vehicles. I know I constantly harp on it, but it's true and very disappointing. I hope Horizon turns them around.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyt View Post
To do a smt10 right from the ground up as a solid brushless weekend basher id imagine would run in the $2k price range......which begs the question, how much can i get for one of my kidneys? Hahaha

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
I'm building a 2.2 SMT10 from the ground up so eventually I'll be able to tell you how much it hurts.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,976
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

LURC has still got a GraveDigger for sale in his demo fleet section...
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 492
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

She's coming along. A quick mock-up to check the progress:



Flexing it out. Not bad!

TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,976
Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

That's hilarious...

durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



TRX-4 Monster Truck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can we get a mega truck - mud truck - monster truck section? Calderwood Comments, Suggestions, and Help 46 08-07-2015 11:15 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com