Notices

Thread: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlagMan View Post
I’m in agreement with traxxas parts. I used to make builds out of axial parts but that stuff is drying up. Recently converted an old tmaxx to brushless. Literally a 20 year old truck and had no issue getting stuff. Had several vendors to choose from.

If you really wanted just the monster truck look I can say a maxx with silicone stuffed diffs performs well. As long as you don’t go crazy with the size of the motor they aren’t too fragile either. It definitely falls short in the looks if you’re after solid axle MT. Throw in an emaxx transmission and you can have 2 speed as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to jump off subject, but I've got a Tmaxx 3.3 and want to convert to brushless. I bought a brushless motor mount from How2RC already and I believe I already put the fwd only kit in my tmaxx(its been a long time.) Any other issues doing the conversion?
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Sorry to jump off subject, but I've got a Tmaxx 3.3 and want to convert to brushless. I bought a brushless motor mount from How2RC already and I believe I already put the fwd only kit in my tmaxx(its been a long time.) Any other issues doing the conversion?

None for me. Used one of his mounts too and a vxl3s combo. I did eventually destroy the old driveshafts and converted to 3.3 shafts and pillow blocks. Has been reliable since and a lot of fun.

I’m the one that jumped off subject by bringing up a basher to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SlagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #23

I've thought of a E-Maxx, never owned one of those either, and love the 8 shock look, but believe anytime I'd run the emaxx, I'd rather run my xmaxx. No offense. Now if traxxas came out with a solid axle 8 shock licensed big foot monster truck, 2 speed transmission, 2 and 3s, 1/10 scale, they could charge $799 and I'd still buy it! I like 1/10 scale, easier to clean in my girlfriend's kitchen sink : ) hahaha

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
pattyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyt View Post
I've thought of a E-Maxx, never owned one of those either, and love the 8 shock look, but believe anytime I'd run the emaxx, I'd rather run my xmaxx. No offense. Now if traxxas came out with a solid axle 8 shock licensed big foot monster truck, 2 speed transmission, 2 and 3s, 1/10 scale, they could charge $799 and I'd still buy it! I like 1/10 scale, easier to clean in my girlfriend's kitchen sink : ) hahaha

If I was starting from scratch, I agree. But I already have the T-maxx, motor, and ESC. I just needed the $18 motor mount and maybe a pinion gear.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #25

I didn't read the article, but it looks like Big Squid is building a TRX-4 monster truck.

Monster Truck Madness – Building High Horse « Big Squid RC – RC Car and Truck News, Reviews, Videos, and More!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I didn't read the article, but it looks like Big Squid is building a TRX-4 monster truck.

Monster Truck Madness – Building High Horse « Big Squid RC – RC Car and Truck News, Reviews, Videos, and More!
Yes! Actually it's a continuation of a article from 2007 when the ranger tires were first released. Thinking of getting a set for my trx4 bronco for floating over snow and bombing around. But before dropping $$$ on the wheels and tires I wanted to make sure they fit. After 2 weeks of looking around and asking, nothing. I wrote to the author of the article and he responded! He said he would go back to the build and he just simply forgot. I was very shocked as I'm still waiting for a response to my Taylor Swift wedding proposal email hahaha. But seriously, the more involved I get in the online community, the more impressed I am with the generosity of knowledge and ideas. I'll have to read the article!

Old 03-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #27

Quote:
I was very shocked as I'm still waiting for a response to my Taylor Swift wedding proposal email hahaha.
Hey now! She's one of my future ex-wives! Don't go stepping on my toes until the divorced is finalized!

Old 03-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Bummer, now it's gonna look like I'm just copying him.

It won't be completely the same because I'm going full retard on the tire size with Jconcepts Firestorms. Those are quite a bit bigger than what he's using, but I might have trouble fitting them. Time will tell.

Anyway the parts are rolling in. Should have some pictures worth posting in a week or two.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post

It won't be completely the same because I'm going full retard on the tire size with Jconcepts Firestorms. Those are quite a bit bigger than what he's using, but I might have trouble fitting them. Time will tell.

Anyway the parts are rolling in. Should have some pictures worth posting in a week or two.

The Bigfoot photo that I posted is a TRX-4 with Firestorms...
Old 03-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #30

Quote:

It will be interesting to see how the portals hold up to the added force caused by clod sized tires. I honestly dont know which way to go. Buy a trx4 roller, lift kit, 2.2 monster tires, brushless castle system? Or turn my bomber into a monster truck? (Not too crazy about the looks of the carbon fiber chassis and ground clearance) ordo i take the parts left over from my trx4 lift kit, the ar60 axles off the bomber, and weld my own aluminum chassis with short wheel base and 2.2 mt tires? The more i think about it, the more im inclined to get the clod kit for $100 off.....

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The Bigfoot photo that I posted is a TRX-4 with Firestorms...
True, but I see he also runs SMT10 wheels/tires so the Firestorms may just be for display. What will happen when you steer to full lock with some suspension compression? Do the front tires collide with the chassis and lock up? Inquiring minds want to know

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how the portals hold up to the added force caused by clod sized tires. I honestly dont know which way to go. Buy a trx4 roller, lift kit, 2.2 monster tires, brushless castle system? Or turn my bomber into a monster truck? (Not too crazy about the looks of the carbon fiber chassis and ground clearance) ordo i take the parts left over from my trx4 lift kit, the ar60 axles off the bomber, and weld my own aluminum chassis with short wheel base and 2.2 mt tires? The more i think about it, the more im inclined to get the clod kit for $100 off.....
You sound like me, desperate for a good monster truck build but not finding any really excellent options. I've done a mild SMT10 build before but I wasn't too thrilled with some aspects of it so I'm going my own way this time. The TRX-4 route could easily have some breakage issues because, yeah, those tires. They just came in the mail today and I forgot how heavy they are. Gonna be fun.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #32

Quote:
True, but I see he also runs SMT10 wheels/tires so the Firestorms may just be for display. What will happen when you steer to full lock with some suspension compression? Do the front tires collide with the chassis and lock up? Inquiring minds want to know

You sound like me, desperate for a good monster truck build but not finding any really excellent options. I've done a mild SMT10 build before but I wasn't too thrilled with some aspects of it so I'm going my own way this time. The TRX-4 route could easily have some breakage issues because, yeah, those tires. They just came in the mail today and I forgot how heavy they are. Gonna be fun.
I've found so much info on this sight about smt10 and axial builds, though excited at first, the only thing axial I would use due to parts availability (smt10 used are almost non existant) and so many columns are about trying this and that to handle the clod tires. Which begs the question, just get a clod? And do a mod here and there...... but I'm sure a set of those jconcept cowboy rims and ranger tires will make it's way onto my trx4 next winter for snow runs, and use the super swampers for the trails.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #33

Whoops, forgot to say only things axial I would use would be ar60 axles and trans.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Hey now! She's one of my future ex-wives! Don't go stepping on my toes until the divorced is finalized!

Ha! I thought I was the only one who said future ex-wife!

Old 03-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Since we're on the subject (and because this thread lacks photos), here's the old SMT10. I was really happy with the look but Axial cheaped out in so many different ways on that platform it always bugged me. Decided to sell it instead of spending a fortune on upgrades, but if they ever did an improved re-release kit version I'd give it another go.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Since we're on the subject (and because this thread lacks photos), here's the old SMT10. I was really happy with the look but Axial cheaped out in so many different ways on that platform it always bugged me. Decided to sell it instead of spending a fortune on upgrades, but if they ever did an improved re-release kit version I'd give it another go.

To do a smt10 right from the ground up as a solid brushless weekend basher id imagine would run in the $2k price range......which begs the question, how much can i get for one of my kidneys? Hahaha

Old 03-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #37

Quote:
That's beautiful! The SMT10 chassis was awesome, but I agree that the driveline just wasn't up to the task. And the stock speed was pathetic. Axial really failed with that truck. It's a reoccurring theme with Axial - they consistently build low quality and problematic vehicles. I know I constantly harp on it, but it's true and very disappointing. I hope Horizon turns them around.

Quote:
To do a smt10 right from the ground up as a solid brushless weekend basher id imagine would run in the $2k price range......which begs the question, how much can i get for one of my kidneys? Hahaha

I'm building a 2.2 SMT10 from the ground up so eventually I'll be able to tell you how much it hurts.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

LURC has still got a GraveDigger for sale in his demo fleet section...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

She's coming along. A quick mock-up to check the progress:

Flexing it out. Not bad!

Old 03-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

That's hilarious...

durok is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-4 Monster Truck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can we get a mega truck - mud truck - monster truck section? Calderwood Comments, Suggestions, and Help 46 08-07-2015 11:15 AM